Sponsored

Cancelled delivery May 12 for delivery May 18th. Expected May 25!

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Is there anything stopping buyers from simply NOT paying for their trucks so early? My understanding is that Rivian needs the money before the truck is delivered. They do NOT require the money as soon as the truck rolls off the assembly line or is loaded onto a truck for shipment to the service center.

People are choosing to pay for their trucks before final quality control processes are complete. I knew that was a bad idea long before all these posts started showing up.

Rivian R1T R1S Cancelled delivery May 12 for delivery May 18th. Expected May 25! Screenshot_20220518-080028
Sponsored

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
Is there anything stopping buyers from simply NOT paying for their trucks so early? My understanding is that Rivian needs the money before the truck is delivered. They do NOT require the money as soon as the truck rolls off the assembly line or is loaded onto a truck for shipment to the service center.

People are choosing to pay for their trucks before final quality control processes are complete. I knew that was a bad idea long before all these posts started showing up.

Screenshot_20220518-080028.jpg
I think there's concern that getting the payment figured out might take some time (especially if you are financing through a 3rd-party), and folks don't want to get stuck unable to get the vehicle due to bureaucratic issues.

That being said, this is really a UX issue, Rivian shouldn't be allowing people to pay for vehicles they are not 100% ready to deliver. If they'd slow down just a touch, and lock step 7 until delivery was ready (and lock step 8 until payment was processed), almost nobody would have a scheduled delivery that was canceled. Sure it would add a day to the process, but it would save everyone a lot of headache.

atR1S

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2023 R1S
Clubs

Totally agree. Both the customers and Rivian would benefit from a slower process. It would also be helpful if we, the customer, understood the process a bit better. When is the truck actually ready for delivery? Will it be shipped directly from the factory to it's final destination? Will it be shipped to a service center and then require additional PDI/inspection before delivery? My first delivery date was cancelled one day before I was supposed to get the truck. Damage was found at one of the final inspections and it's in the process of getting fixed. I have concluded that my guide does not have the full picture of what was found to be problematic with my truck and what is being done to correct the problem. Nor does my guide know a timeline of when I can expect the 2nd delivery date to be scheduled. And it's not my guide's fault. He has been very communicative and as helpful as possible- he just doesn't have all the facts and does not want to extrapolate on any details because he does not know. I am thankful that he is actively trying to help me get my truck asap and I remind myself that, at the end of the day, it's just a car. It will get here when it gets here. It's the unknown parts of this process that make it harder than it needs to be.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I had intended to wait until the last minute to pay. My vehicle was already at the service center, and was canceled less than 24 hours to delivery.

There was also no "Pay Now" or "Confirm Payment" button. The payment step asks you to link your bank account to a service called Plaid to process the payment. However, the moment I linked my account the funds were gone. I assumed the UX would work like every other payment service where you link an account in advance but still get the option to confirm payment.

Ultimately, these are just the challenges with a new manufacturer learning how to do direct sales in all 50 states. I assume that things will get worked out over time, and more of the sales process will get decentralized towards each facility in each state.

Since getting canceled, I've seen two people post here taking delivery of my exact configuration from the Denver service center who ordered a year after me (which means there have likely been even more that don't get posted). In the dealer model, I likely wouldn't have been tied to a VIN so early and they would have just bumped me to the next available truck. The person at the end of the line would have to wait for the damaged vehicle to get repaired before delivery.

Rivian also clearly has a problem with vehicle getting damaged in transit. They need to sort that out soon, as sending so many trucks to a body shop after arrival at the service center likely is going to cost more in the long run than properly protecting trucks in transit.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

So my original delivery date was the 10th, then canceled. I didn’t rely on the Guide to give me the answers, so I drove to the Venice hub here in LA. They were helpful, and I found out it was a paint issue that needed to be fixed. I then got a new delivery date that was set for this weds the 18th, but they canceled yesterday with no details. Now tentative for the 21st. I sold my vehicle and can’t wait any longer to give it to the person that bought it. Supposedly right now my Guide is getting me a rental until my truck is delivered. We shall see.
So the Venice hub crew had info the guide didn’t?

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I had intended to wait until the last minute to pay. My vehicle was already at the service center, and was canceled less than 24 hours to delivery.

There was also no "Pay Now" or "Confirm Payment" button. The payment step asks you to link your bank account to a service called Plaid to process the payment. However, the moment I linked my account the funds were gone. I assumed the UX would work like every other payment service where you link an account in advance but still get the option to confirm payment.

Ultimately, these are just the challenges with a new manufacturer learning how to do direct sales in all 50 states. I assume that things will get worked out over time, and more of the sales process will get decentralized towards each facility in each state.

Since getting canceled, I've seen two people post here taking delivery of my exact configuration from the Denver service center who ordered a year after me (which means there have likely been even more that don't get posted). In the dealer model, I likely wouldn't have been tied to a VIN so early and they would have just bumped me to the next available truck. The person at the end of the line would have to wait for the damaged vehicle to get repaired before delivery.

Rivian also clearly has a problem with vehicle getting damaged in transit. They need to sort that out soon, as sending so many trucks to a body shop after arrival at the service center likely is going to cost more in the long run than properly protecting trucks in transit.
Imagine them paying to have one re-painted twice!....I wonder if the replacement truck I receive will just end up being one of the ones that was damaged in shipment and rejected by the initial owner and then repaired then resold.

bhopkins

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
That being said, this is really a UX issue, Rivian shouldn't be allowing people to pay for vehicles they are not 100% ready to deliver. If they'd slow down just a touch, and lock step 7 until delivery was ready (and lock step 8 until payment was processed), almost nobody would have a scheduled delivery that was canceled. Sure it would add a day to the process, but it would save everyone a lot of headache.
But, we as the customer are partially driving this. The level of excitement and anxiousness to obtain our R1T/R1S is off the charts. And, before I get bashed, I'm including myself in that same group. Given the nature of various transfers (ACH, wire, Plaid, etc), it does take time for the money to be transferred, credited to the correct account, etc. So, I can understand why Rivian wants the money at least 24 hours before delivery and why many of us, transferred the money to them as quickly as we could.

Unfortunately, that does mean glitches can sometimes occur. When I bought my Tesla back in 2018, I had an issue with payment. The bank transferred the money on a Thursday but when I went to the delivery center in Chicago on Saturday, there was no record showing my account had been credited with the proper amount. Delivery center folks (after being encouraged by me) finally called corporate and found someone there that verified the money had been transmitted and got it credited to my account/order.

NorskBoy

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 diesel, sold the BMW
Occupation
Contractor
I paid for my truck because I thought that as what I had to do to open Step 8. Now I am not even getting the truck I paid for. Ultimately, I think Ill be happy but this has been a little painful. As I have Posted before, its the price we pay for being "early adopters"

Citibeach

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Element
Occupation
Self
So the Venice hub crew had info the guide didn’t?
No. I found someone there that I told my story to and he then emailed a group of managers in front of me to try to help me find the answers. Once that was sent off I was contacted by my guide with answers that she couldn’t give me prior. The chain of information is awful.

Sponsored

NorskBoy

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 diesel, sold the BMW
Occupation
Contractor
To follow up.

I have a deliver set for May 25, 2022.

12:45 pm.

Fingers crossed!
I’m rooting for you. I just redid my 8 steps today for my unrecalled truck. Send me good energy.

OP
OP
Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
This is getting real!

Just got the 24 hour warning for the impending delivery.

There is still time for Rivian to pull the rug out!

Fingers crossed it makes a safe trip from SSF to Carmel a 110 mile trip on a flatbed.

Rivian R1T R1S Cancelled delivery May 12 for delivery May 18th. Expected May 25! DeliveryReminder

OP
OP
Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Just got a call from Rivian saying the the truck is ready to be delivered except that there is a dent and would I accept deliver still and they will fix the dent at a later date when it’s in for servicing or something. Otherwise it would be two weeks before they could fix it and deliver it.

So, I’ll still be talking delivery regardless of the dent situation.

Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Software
This is getting real!

Just got the 24 hour warning for the impending delivery.

There is still time for Rivian to pull the rug out!

Fingers crossed it makes a safe trip from SSF to Carmel a 110 mile trip on a flatbed.

DeliveryReminder.jpg
Sweet, congrats! It will be at least 5 more months before MikeHunt will be able to drive her new toy around.

hed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Raptor, Rivian Reservation 13##
Just got a call from Rivian saying the the truck is ready to be delivered except that there is a dent and would I accept deliver still and they will fix the dent at a later date when it’s in for servicing or something. Otherwise it would be two weeks before they could fix it and deliver it.

So, I’ll still be talking delivery regardless of the dent situation.
Same thing they asked me regarding a small scratch they noticed on the driver's door, after waiting for them to repair the tailgate that was damaged.

At that point I requested a new VIN. You should as well, unless this dent can be fixed via a dent pull and not need touch up paint.

Otherwise, they'll repair it and have to repaint the whole door. In that likely scenario it could be repainted via a paint shop local to where the vehicle is at.

Again that's what they were going to do with the first vehicle I ordered until I requested a totally new truck. To Rivian's credit they did get me a new VIN and I am thankful for it.

Of course you may have more confidence or it may not bother you like it did me.
Sponsored