Sponsored

Canadian orders - June 2022 update to delivery windows

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
Thread title says it all. I got the 2 week pushback to new timeline e-mail for R1S deliveries today, no second e-mail after.

Feb 2019 LE R1S. Montreal. Pre-june window was July-Sept.

Any canuks get an update email yet?
Sponsored

atlastracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Honda Pilot
I didn't even get the R1S 2 week delay for updates email yet. I'll post here as soon as I get any update for my R1S LE or R1T Adv. I'm sure my windows have moved. But interested to see how far Canadian deliveries have slipped.

Eti

First Name
Etienne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
it manager
I am have an R1S LE in Ottawa previous Windows july -september as all canadian LE . Curious to see if any canadian R1T got an update.

wristybusiness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model X
I think the original July-September window was always a placeholder for ‘we have no idea.’

I have consistently read that they are prioritizing locations with service centers. We are halfway through the year without a single one built, under construction, applied for, or even rumoured in the whole country!

Outside of Vancouver, there is no chance that anyone else nationwide is receiving theirs in 2023. I am a LE R1S holder in Toronto and I am expecting July 2023.

OP
OP

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think the original July-September window was always a placeholder for ‘we have no idea.’

I have consistently read that they are prioritizing locations with service centers. We are halfway through the year without a single one built, under construction, applied for, or even rumoured in the whole country!

Outside of Vancouver, there is no chance that anyone else nationwide is receiving theirs in 2023. I am a LE R1S holder in Toronto and I am expecting July 2023.
Fully agree. Expecting 1 year push back too
 still wanted to know ASAP, hence the thread.

Sponsored

endokendo

First Name
Endo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Medical
Fully agree. Expecting 1 year push back too
 still wanted to know ASAP, hence the thread.
agreed, Canadian deliveries may likely get pushed back who knows how long. I had a July - Sept 2022 delivery window but have heard nothing since. Wonder when the Rivian Service Center will be built in Vancouver. I saw an R1T today in Richmond, BC, likely an employee vehicle.

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
This all but guarantees Canadian deliveries are 2023 into 2024. The R1T deliveries might start in 2023.

I was a 2H 2023, but now it’s guaranteed it won’t be before 2024.

This has pretty much made me loose all faith in this company and have serious doubt if they will survive the next three years. If they do then I might come back for their next generation of vehicles, maybe the R2

OP
OP

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think its unlikely Rivian will fail, but definitely not impossible. Forums members saying its impossible either lack memory or imagination IMO.

I just wish I had understood earlier than 8 months ago their PR-comms strategy, I missed some great placeholder opportunities. Stuck waiting on my ICE alternative since January now because of the chip shortage.

By the time R1Ss ship to Canada, Ford and GM might offer full size PHEV or BEV SUVs
 which will probably make it irrelevant for me anyway unless they keep the price guarantee, which I am really not convinced they will honor for LE’s delivered late 2023 or 2024 – they might use the model change excuse at that point.

wristybusiness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model X
This all but guarantees Canadian deliveries are 2023 into 2024. The R1T deliveries might start in 2023.

This has pretty much made me loose all faith in this company and have serious doubt if they will survive the next three years. If they do then I might come back for their next generation of vehicles, maybe the R2
I agree that it’s unlikely they won’t survive as a company, but certainly not out of the realm of possibility. It feels good to say that a company won’t survive because they frustrated you but unfortunately that usually has no bearing on the end result. They have significant cash reserves and demand is years ahead of what they can accommodate.

However, i share the same sentiments as PostMinivanDad that I also missed opportunities to sell my current vehicle and have a replacement one by now to bridge the time before R1S deliveries begin.

My biggest complaint about Rivian is I feel that they treating Canada like an afterthought. I allege that the original timelines they provided were knowingly BS. They simply couldn’t or wouldn’t admit they had no clue. Yes, I get that the US is a larger market but Rivian is the one that decided they would enter both markets at launch. They simply could have said that they will enter our market in 2024 and I would have been totally fine with that. It’s the lack of open, honest communication about entering/delivering in our market that frustrates me the most.

Sponsored

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
I agree that it’s unlikely they won’t survive as a company, but certainly not out of the realm of possibility. It feels good to say that a company won’t survive because they frustrated you but unfortunately that usually has no bearing on the end result. They have significant cash reserves and demand is years ahead of what they can accommodate.

However, i share the same sentiments as PostMinivanDad that I also missed opportunities to sell my current vehicle and have a replacement one by now to bridge the time before R1S deliveries begin.

My biggest complaint about Rivian is I feel that they treating Canada like an afterthought. I allege that the original timelines they provided were knowingly BS. They simply couldn’t or wouldn’t admit they had no clue. Yes, I get that the US is a larger market but Rivian is the one that decided they would enter both markets at launch. They simply could have said that they will enter our market in 2024 and I would have been totally fine with that. It’s the lack of open, honest communication about entering/delivering in our market that frustrates me the most.
My reasoning for questioning Rivian's survival over the next few years has more to do with where the EV market is going and where Rivian is than my own frustration. Personally, the delay is a welcome one, if I believed in this company.

I do recognize that Rivian has 90K+ pre-orders and is probably growing but there are two questions to be asked,
Are all the pre-orders for people wanting 'a Rivian' or wanting what a Rivian has to offer?

Because Rivian in its base functionality is a one trick pony. The R1T is a lifestyle off road worthy EV truck which is not an all-purpose tool truck, the Lightening will run circles around the R1T as a work horse which will be freely available across Ford Dealers probably an year from now similar to the Mach-E (there are about 30 across multiple dealers around where I live). If Ford comes out with a Ranger EV or the upcoming VW Scout truck will all take on the R1T.

The R1S is the only three row 7 passenger BEV available for order and by later this year with the Kia EV9, Ford's Explorer based EV (probably), Volvo's XC90 alternative there will be plenty of options to order and get it much quicker than an R1S. Also, how many like me liked the R1S because it is the only BEV SUV but does not need a full-size SUV.

Yeah, Rivian is sitting on a huge cash pile, but if they keep delaying key launches and not ramping up in any significant manner, while increasing operational costs they are going to burn through that cash very quickly. Also, Ford has been slowly shedding their investments in Rivian, and if it weren't for how beaten up the RIVN stock is, I am sure Ford would have offloaded more than what they did.

There are just too many questions and unknowns to be confident about this company and its survival, especially in the current market trend.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

how is it guaranteed it isn’t before 2024?
I wonder how many preorders they have in Canada. My guess is fewer than 10,000.

Delayed deliveries to canada have likely have zero impact on their future as a company. It likely wouldlve Been easier to only focus on the US for the first two years and not even sell into canada.

The Canadian market is very small. Tesla, for example, sells less than a thousand model S annually.

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
how is it guaranteed it isn’t before 2024?
I wonder how many preorders they have in Canada. My guess is fewer than 10,000.

Delayed deliveries to canada have likely have zero impact on their future as a company. It likely wouldlve Been easier to only focus on the US for the first two years and not even sell into canada.

The Canadian market is very small. Tesla, for example, sells less than a thousand model S annually.
I agree the Canadian market is not going to break them as a company, which is why they have not been giving this market any real attention. And I am pretty sure our market is the least of their concerns right now, and if anything, htey are probably more interested in the European market than the Canadian market. They have delayed TC approval twice already, so I am very skeptical that they are even working towards the September date they last gave.

Also, as per the recent R1S emails, they are prioritizing deliveries of vehicles close to service centre locations and with their carefree attitude towards the Canadian market, I am expecting LE R1T deliveries to start in 2023 and go into 2024.

As an adventure R1S pre-order holder with a 1H 2023 date, I have no confidence they actually meet that timeline, with their current R1S delays.

DarcyL

First Name
Darcy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2020 MINI SE
Occupation
Lawyer
Clubs

I certainly agree that it is unlikely Rivian will go out of business, AND that they are treating Canada as an afterthought. I feel they have no agenda to create some interest in their vehicles here. As I've said before in another forum, you still can't buy a t-shirt from the Gear Shop and have it shipped to Canada. CS has said 'it's coming shortly!". That was in February. If they can't change their online store to accept Canadian orders and even charge us for shipping, that does not bode well for us receiving our orders any time soon. We simply don't matter to them in the grand scheme of things.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
my present operating assumption is they don’t actually have a timeframe for Canadian orders.

at this rate they should’ve just said they were focusing on the us market, with canadian sales happening sometime later.
Sponsored