Sponsored

Canadian EV incentives/pricing/taxes

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
Incentives: None that I know of. Far too expensive of a vehicle to qualify for any federal or provincial programs that I've found. I'm SUPER jealous of that $7500 USD American federal tax credit!

Pricing: I preordered early and was charged $1000 USD, so the configurator shows me all USD pricing. I've seen others with later pre-order dates have it shown in CAD, and looks like the normal situation applies here: we pay extra because the exchange rate isn't accurate. Hopefully final numbers are a bit more fair, or we have the option of paying in USD directly (I've got USD investments all prepared for this purchase anyways).

Taxes: Now this is where we have some control. In BC the final purchase price to stay under is $125k CAD. At this point, PST jumps from 10% to 15% and additionally, GST is calculated including PST.

So at 124999, after 10% PST and 5% GST =>143748.85
1 dollar more, after 15% PST and 5% GST double tax => 150936.29 or $7187.44 extra for that $1. No, it doesn't appear to work like income taxes.

The tax rates are calculated on purchase price of the vehicle, which appears to include practically everything aside from optional warranty. Are you sure you want those wheel upgrades? That camp kitchen? If it pushes you over 125k, maybe not so much. I'm no expert on this, just read up on it the other day, I've never had to worry about it before. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

BC Vehicle Tax info: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/t...6-motor-vehicle-dealers-leasing-companies.pdf
Sponsored

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
The ferrys that cross the St. Lawrence waive the fare for BEVs.
Not all of them. Quebec-Levis and Sorel-Tracy–Saint-Ignace-de-Loyola are free, but not the Matane-Baie-Comeau-Godbout (60% off for electrics).

With about 5$ saved per crossing, and, in my case, a few crossings per decade, I think I would prefer a large tax credit ;-)

All kidding aside, I think a real perk that could add up for some in the Montreal area is the EV toll exemption on the A25 bridge. Probably similar offers elsewhere/in other provinces?

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Incentives: None that I know of. Far too expensive of a vehicle to qualify for any federal or provincial programs that I've found. I'm SUPER jealous of that $7500 USD American federal tax credit!

Pricing: I preordered early and was charged $1000 USD, so the configurator shows me all USD pricing. I've seen others with later pre-order dates have it shown in CAD, and looks like the normal situation applies here: we pay extra because the exchange rate isn't accurate. Hopefully final numbers are a bit more fair, or we have the option of paying in USD directly (I've got USD investments all prepared for this purchase anyways).

Taxes: Now this is where we have some control. In BC the final purchase price to stay under is $125k CAD. At this point, PST jumps from 10% to 15% and additionally, GST is calculated including PST.

So at 124999, after 10% PST and 5% GST =>143748.85
1 dollar more, after 15% PST and 5% GST double tax => 150936.29 or $7187.44 extra for that $1. No, it doesn't appear to work like income taxes.

The tax rates are calculated on purchase price of the vehicle, which appears to include practically everything aside from optional warranty. Are you sure you want those wheel upgrades? That camp kitchen? If it pushes you over 125k, maybe not so much. I'm no expert on this, just read up on it the other day, I've never had to worry about it before. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

BC Vehicle Tax info: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/t...6-motor-vehicle-dealers-leasing-companies.pdf
Same situation but working in the US making USD but live in vancouver and taking delivery there. Frustrating the EV incentives don't apply to the R1T due to its pricing in Canada, but after running the math, I would be crucified at the border on taxes trying to import had I taken delivery here so the 7500 becomes a whitewash.

My configuration (like yours) is in usd due to an early preorder, but you can go through the configurator (not logged in) to create your vehicle with a canadian location (top right corner)and be given the canadian pricing. So 88k usd for the 400 mile pack is what I have, but in Canadian dollars, comes up as 118k. so under the threshold.

If the camp kitchen is something you're thinking of, and if that affects you breaking into that upper bracket, maybe buy the truck, then get the camp kitchen after in a separate purchase.

PS... killing me I have to wait at least another year even with an early preorder

oh and on a side note, grew up in Mill Bay, can't wait to take this over to the island and head out to Burnt Bridge area, loads of logging roads etc.

Last edited:

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
Same situation but working in the US making USD but live in vancouver and taking delivery there. Frustrating the EV incentives don't apply to the R1T due to its pricing in Canada, but after running the math, I would be crucified at the border on taxes trying to import had I taken delivery here so the 7500 becomes a whitewash.
Me too, but I might be moving back to the states before I take delivery. Even if I don’t, I could take delivery stateside and plate it there, and then bring it up for a few months until I do.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Me too, but I might be moving back to the states before I take delivery. Even if I don’t, I could take delivery stateside and plate it there, and then bring it up for a few months until I do.
Does Canada not have a requirement to register the vehicle in the jurisdiction where you reside?

When I moved to a new state, I had only 30 days to complete this process.

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
Does Canada not have a requirement to register the vehicle in the jurisdiction where you reside?

When I moved to a new state, I had only 30 days to complete this process.
Indeed they do, but I can reside in the states and visit my wife in Canada for a looooong time before they start to get suspicious hahaha

I would never do it perpetually, but for 4-6 months until the lease on my house is up or the school year is over for my kids? Definitely. Plenty of snowbirds “reside” in Florida but are only there 4 months out of the year and keep their Florida plates with no issues

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Indeed they do, but I can reside in the states and visit my wife in Canada for a looooong time before they start to get suspicious hahaha

I would never do it perpetually, but for 4-6 months until the lease on my house is up or the school year is over for my kids? Definitely. Plenty of snowbirds “reside” in Florida but are only there 4 months out of the year and keep their Florida plates with no issues
Personal peeve of mine.

OP
OP
aAlpine

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
So, looks like the final price will be even higher now. The 2022 federal budget has included a luxury vehicle tax for cars over $100k CAD. Either 10% of the total purchase price, or 20% of the amount exceeding $100k, whichever is less. GST/PST added afterwards, on the new larger grand total.

PLEASE Rivian don't delay deliveries in Canada. Maybe we can pay up front on Dec 31st before the vehicle has even been built?

Sponsored

Drterreur

First Name
Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model3 Dual motor
Occupation
Healthcare
I was torn between explorer and adventure... not anymore!

Reed

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Toyota Tacoma, March/24 Reservation for R2
Occupation
Retired
I just noticed the budget tax proposal this morning. That's a kick in the shins. Especially when the GST, and likely PST here in BC, will get added on top of the higher price.

This could make it very tough on Rivian. The only way I can see to get the price under $100,000 is to forget about the max battery pack.

So, now you are looking at a 480 km range vehicle. Is there lower-price competition coming with similar range to this and decent off-pavement abilities? If so, it has to be considered.

Canadian taxes. Canadian dollar. Which colour to choose. Which tires to choose. Ventilated seats, or not. Battery pack choice. This is by far the most nerve wracking purchase I have ever made. And, I have probably got at least another year of this ahead before my number comes up!

Drterreur

First Name
Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model3 Dual motor
Occupation
Healthcare
Coming from a long range model3, 480km is plenty, as long as you can charge along the way. There is currently nothing else in this category at similar or lower price point with decent offroad capabilities.

Pro tip: make a list of things you do on a regular basis. That's what you want your EV to be able to do. If there are anything out of the ordinary once in a while that it can't do, rent another car/truck.

That's what I did with the model3 and in three years, I haven't rented another car yet even when we made our Quebec-NYC trip with our 3 kids.

If you want winter tires, choose any wheels you like and you may get a set of 20 inch aftermaket alloy wheels with winter tires on.

Reed

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Toyota Tacoma, March/24 Reservation for R2
Occupation
Retired
There's definitely going to be some hardball decision-making here. As aAlpine points out above, we in BC already pay a 10% PST on vehicles. Now we will be adding a 10% federal tax on the amount over $100,000, plus the 5% GST.

There are places in BC, and I'm sure there are in Quebec, too, where the max battery would really be a big plus. Highway 37 between Kitwanga (east of Prince Rupert) and Watson Lake in the Yukon would require the big pack and a scantily clad sidekick who could ask people to let you plug in.

And, then there's the Yukon. Somebody once took a Model X to Tuktoyaktuk. I have no idea how he made it up there.

Obviously, the smaller battery will require a bit more planning.

So, I think I'll likely be switching down to the large pack. I already have the explore package, silver paint and off-road upgrade. That brings me to $92,750. Even after delivery charges, I should be well clear of $100,000.

We'll see about the tires after Rivian releases the range figures for the different options.

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
Quebec has huge incentives propping up the rollout of an electrified charging network. Even up north, it won’t be long before DCFC is available all over the place. There’s 3 DC fast chargers available within 5 minutes of my house here in the city.
Sponsored