Sponsored

EdA

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3, 2012 Tesla Model S (formerly)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
So, my wife and I have a tandem bike, which actually FITS in our Tesla Model S if we take both wheels off...Looks like I'll be laying it flat in the R1T or I may have to do something funky from the bed to the roof...

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
Wonder why they want it mounted backwards? Just so it's easier to reach the tire clamp mechanism?

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Wonder why they want it mounted backwards? Just so it's easier to reach the tire clamp mechanism?
I believe the front wheel bracket swings outwards, which would be awkward with a window right there.

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
Lifting my 60 lb emtb above the cab is a no go. Looks like I’ll be keeping my hitch rack.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Because it won't fit the other way, the cross bar is too close to the back of the cab with how the mount is designed. I have one of these mounts on my polestar 2 right now, you can't adjust where the front wheel sits.

I also have a 1up rack, which does offer that sort of adjustment, but it requires extra hardware to work with smaller bikes.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Got an email today from Rivian clarifying limitations of their "HighRoad Bike Mount" hardware and configuration guidance. I don't think there's any breaking-news here. May have received this email since my L.E. R1T is configured with the bike rack option. Just thought I'd share it in case others find it interesting. At least I did a thread search before launching a new one!

Now I've got to wait until this evening to measure the length of my Fezzari mountain bike. :confused:

Rivian R1T R1S Can your bike be mounted over the R1T bed? [Bike Fitment Guide] Bike mount guidance.PNG

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Got an email today from Rivian clarifying limitations of their "HighRoad Bike Mount" hardware and configuration guidance. I don't think there's any breaking-news here. May have received this email since my L.E. R1T is configured with the bike rack option. Just thought I'd share it in case others find it interesting. At least I did a thread search before launching a new one!

Now I've got to wait until this evening to measure the length of my Fezzari mountain bike. :confused:

Bike mount guidance.PNG
I haven't measured any of mine, but I also don't intend on using a highroller style mount over the bed. I'm suspecting that anything longer than a medium hardtail may not fit in this configuration.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

I worry enough about the overall height with the bike mounted this way above the bed. No way am I going to mount above the cabin like this. I don't trust myself enough to avoid every possible low-bridge clearance situation from roadways to garages to drive-thru fast food. I know that I'd hear that terrible crunch noise and hate myself. Hell, I did this very thing last weekend riding my mountain bike with a new GoPro mounted atop my helmet. A low branch took it off like a guillotine (the camera - not my head). Fortunately the camera survived!

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Getting us the answers to the questions we've all been asking. :headbang:

Sponsored

mwexler2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Prius Plug-in
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I worry enough about the overall height with the bike mounted this way above the bed. No way am I going to mount above the cabin like this. I don't trust myself enough to avoid every possible low-bridge clearance situation from roadways to garages to drive-thru fast food. I know that I'd hear that terrible crunch noise and hate myself. Hell, I did this very thing last weekend riding my mountain bike with a new GoPro mounted atop my helmet. A low branch took it off like a guillotine (the camera - not my head). Fortunately the camera survived!
Same with me. I’m looking for a good way to stow my Comotion Periscope without dissembling it. It’s about 200 cm long and I expect I will need to have the lift gate open. Any suggestions?

Boudro

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kona EV & Tacoma
Wondering if I can put my bike pad on the tailgate and carry bikes that way. This will be interesting. Worse case is I did the hitch mount rake.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I have an XL-frame 29er, so I'm definitely not going to be going the bed rack route :)

The tailgate pad definitely seems like the way to go here if it meets your needs. You can thread in gear guard and fit more bikes that way, and probably with less aero impact. I'm a little surprised Rivian isn't selling a Yakima tailgate pad, to be honest.

Rivian R1T R1S Can your bike be mounted over the R1T bed? [Bike Fitment Guide] 1639007075334

If I had the tent on the bed I'd just use a hitch rack.

State11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, Defender D90
I did that with my wife's new Parlee on the roof! Thankfully, the Yakima mounts sacrificed themselves to save the bike & my marriage. It was one of the worst sounds I've ever heard!

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

All of my road/gravel bikes are under the magic number. All of my MTB are over. Full suspension bike is over by nearly 5 inches. There is probably a reason they show a drop bar bike on the graphic.
Sponsored