Sponsored

Can we talk about range again?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
@bajadahl , it might also have to do with your "Battery & Charger" settings in ABRP. Might want to play with those a bit to see if it changes things.
Sponsored

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
If I don't give it any waypoints it automatically chooses a 40 mile longer route. These are all with the exact same settings. I think ABRP is great for general planning but it's not perfect.

Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 9.22.35 AM.png
It's choosing that longer route to pick up a mid-way charge. If the trip is possible on the shortest route, this is probably your inputs (e.g., arrival SoC) being optimized for.

For some (especially longer) trips, more distance will be faster overall. This is especially true if the longer distance route gains you access to faster charging.

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
Hopefully RJ will incentivize launch customers and initial owners on Rivian network.
As a Tesla owner, I change charge levels on a weekly basis. going from Full charge for a week, followed by 80,85 and 90% battery charge status every month. Most of the time, due to a very heavy foot (habitual speeder) I seldom ever get close to range the car says I have. That said, I"m not a huge road trip person, so at most I see myself going on trips less than 300 miles. Also, living in SoCal we get the most moderate weather. That gives me a built in advantage over colder weather locations. In sum, there is so much hyperbole over battery range. We will each get our vehicles and learn what our ranges are based on locale and driving habits. To me that is the reality of range in a BEV

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
DC charging is all about location. Restaurants, shopping, walking all help pass the time. Nothing worse than a 40 minute charge on a cold, rainy night with nothing to do and no place to stretch your legs.
Personally I do not mind the wait, I can play my Switch and enjoy the quietness. But, when you have 4 kids, all under 10 in a car... can't risk that situation which is why I might wait and bump my reservation until the 180kw battery shows up.

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Yeah, I might no longer be a road trip person either. Anything over 4 hours and I start thinking flights at this point. I used to drive from SF to LA, now I hop on a SW flight (or did)

That said it ~380 miles so one lunch at a fast charger and it would be pretty painless...

Hopefully RJ will incentivize launch customers and initial owners on Rivian network.
As a Tesla owner, I change charge levels on a weekly basis. going from Full charge for a week, followed by 80,85 and 90% battery charge status every month. Most of the time, due to a very heavy foot (habitual speeder) I seldom ever get close to range the car says I have. That said, I"m not a huge road trip person, so at most I see myself going on trips less than 300 miles. Also, living in SoCal we get the most moderate weather. That gives me a built in advantage over colder weather locations. In sum, there is so much hyperbole over battery range. We will each get our vehicles and learn what our ranges are based on locale and driving habits. To me that is the reality of range in a BEV

SuperFan86

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
As a Tesla owner who preordered a M3 and were among the first to take delivery, we had this very same conversation over and over prior to delivery.

In the end, what ended up being far more accurate in "pretend trip planning" was finding a comparable vehicle that existed and had real data in the planner and testing our routes with that.

In the case of the M3, we used a Tesla MS with a 90 kWh pack. When we actually got the car and took it on a road trip, the numbers were VERY close. For our 135 kWh R1T, I have been using a Model X 100D.

I have found that EVTrip planner is WAY more accurate and "smarter" with charging stop planning than ABRP. I like that you can add a charger as a waypoint and map totally manually. You can also create your own route with no chargers, or delete a charger stop and the result will show you how many miles short you are of reaching your destination so you can add alternative charge stops along the way to create short/long legs of the trip.

In our case, we drive from Charleston, SC to Clemson, SC many times per year. We drive the "long leg" to the Greenville charger and roll in on fumes (<10% charge). We take a long stop for lunch and when we leave at 100% SOC, we always arrive at our destination with 60%+ charge so that we can trickle charge at the Airbnb and be almost full the next day.

These are the kinds of things you learn to do when you drive a BEV. It seems difficult and scary, but quickly becomes easy, especially as you push the limits of your range, understanding what you are capable of doing, and get over range anxiety. In our local Tesla club, you earn real bragging rights of who can drive the furthest and arrive at a remote charger with the lowest SOC. The key of course is trusting the charging network, which Tesla manages quite well, but with so many CCS options, I think we will be just as bold with our Rivian.
Sponsored