Sponsored

Can we rely on 12V power for appliances?

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

I've heard of EVs getting bricked when their tiny 12V battery were taxed too much and couldn't power the computer system. Can we rely on the Rivian 12V for extended use with portable coolers, etc? Rivian used to have a winch option but removed it, and I really hope they're designing one to use the 400V main battery. Any worries about aftermarket winches or other big draws from the 12V battery?
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

The biggest issue IMO with relying on the 12V for appliances is that there is no way to make the 12V outlets always on as far as I can tell.

There has been reports of 12V battery/drain issues but not widespread.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I've heard of EVs getting bricked when their tiny 12V battery were taxed too much and couldn't power the computer system.
That shouldn't happen. When the 12V battery (which isn't tiny at all - it's about the same size your ICE vehicle battery would be if it didn't have to crank the engine at -20°F) discharges the BMS senses this and recharges it from the traction battery. Of course the tration battery has to have charge for this to work. While this shouldn't happen it did in fact happen in some of the early R1T's presumably because of a programming error in the BMS. It was resolved by an OTA software update. I have not seen any reports of 12V battery problems in weeks.

Can we rely on the Rivian 12V for extended use with portable coolers, etc?
You would want to verify that the 12V stays on when the vehicle sleeps which I rather doubt it does. If I'm right the answer is "no". Use a Jackery or other portable pack to run your small loads. I suppose you could charge the Jackery from the vehicle 12V when the outlets are active. Your system would then automatically switch over to the Jackery when they are not. I find units like the ARB fridge to draw so little I don't bother with this (that is, I use the Jackery without charging ot from the truck) which seems to be fine for a couple day trip.

Rivian used to have a winch option but removed it, and I really hope they're designing one to use the 400V main battery. Any worries about aftermarket winches or other big draws from the 12V battery?
You have to be a little thoughtful. If you take a kWh from the 12V battery it takes say 1.2 kWh from the 400V battery to replace it.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
My main concern is if the software is smart enough to sense when the 12 volt is getting low and charge it due to your little refrigerator if the ignition is off.

Sponsored

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

That one YouTube guy kinda warmed up some gr(H)uel on an electric burner using one of the bed outlets.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
My main concern is if the software is smart enough to sense when the 12 volt is getting low and charge it due to your little refrigerator if the ignition is off.
It doesn't care why the 12V batteries are low. If they are low they are charged as long as there is enough in the traction battery to charge them without endangering the traction battery. But I think the question may be moot as I don't think the 12V outlets are hot when the "ignition" is off.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
It doesn't care why the 12V batteries are low. If they are low they are charged as long as there is enough in the traction battery to charge them without endangering the traction battery. But I think the question may be moot as I don't think the 12V outlets are hot when the "ignition" is off.
That part is easy to fix.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
I assume that the cabin 12v still stays off when the truck is locked? I haven't followed this issue closely since I don't have my truck yet. What solutions are being used to run a frig overnight? Currently I bring my lawn mower battery and the matching EGO inverter to run my Engle frig overnight. I find it....... bizarre...... that I would need to continue with that solution after getting the R1T.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I assume that the cabin 12v still stays off when the truck is locked? I haven't followed this issue closely since I don't have my truck yet. What solutions are being used to run a frig overnight? Currently I bring my lawn mower battery and the matching EGO inverter to run my Engle frig overnight. I find it....... bizarre...... that I would need to continue with that solution after getting the R1T.
Since it became available I am using camp mode, works fine.
Sponsored