Sponsored

Can we be honest with each other - what benefit does a Rivian have over upcoming EVs?

Perry24r

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Palisade
Occupation
HR
R1S pre order holder Sept 1st, 2021 and long time lurker of these forums but never registered/posted.

As we see more large EVs get announced, what benefit does a Rivian have over them? The main thing Rivian had going was being first by a long shot, but now it's all close together and the vehicle tech is still the same.

What I mean is, the Rivian tech both internally and battery is lacking in comparison. I don't NEED 800+ HP, it's just fun to have. If Fisker had a 7 seater I'd reserve it right now and cancel my Rivian. The production version Ioniq 7, Kia, etc are all superior tech, battery capacity, charging, and for the same or less money....
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
It may not matter for your needs/use-case, but Rivian seems to be focused on "adventure" and all-terrain capability. Most of the upcoming EVs aren't competing in that space.

Using ICE vehicles as a comparison, how do Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Ford, Chevy, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Volvo, Acura, Lexus, Kia, Hyundai, etc all exist when there is so much overlap in functionality between them? People build loyalties. People have opinions on styling, comfort, pricing, performance, or whatever other characteristic they care about -- even when the difference appear small to others (or are objectively small).

There's enough demand to support a lot of brands. I think there WILL be consolidation in the EV space. Some newcomers will fail. Some will get absorbed by other brands. But there is room for many.

OP
OP

Perry24r

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Palisade
Occupation
HR
It may not matter for your needs/use-case, but Rivian seems to be focused on "adventure" and all-terrain capability. Most of the upcoming EVs aren't competing in that space.
This point is very fair. If you off-road, makes total sense. We don't, and don't know anyone who does personally.

We do live in the Seattle area and regularly drive all over the PNW for hiking and such, and really any SUV works for that - which is what I imagine is the regular "adventure usage" for most people.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
We do live in the Seattle area and regularly drive all over the PNW for hiking and such, and really any SUV works for that - which is what I imagine is the regular "adventure usage" for most people.
Yes, I agree most don't "need" the capability. But Rivian is a lifestyle brand, and the "image" will matter to many buyers, regardless of how they'll actually use the vehicle.

Arthur Itiz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mercedes a220, 2021 Mercedes gla250
^this.

I've never been comfortable with any of the offerings out there. They all require some sort of sacrifice. Sacrifices I was loath to make.

I like to camp, but not in a tent on the ground, so we would have to tow a trailer, but I can't store a trailer on my property (HOA's) so now I have to rent storage. Now I have a truck payment, a trailer payment, and a storage payment. Plus I would have another $250 a month in fuel prices for back and forth to work because...TRUCK.

The R1T checks all of the boxes for me. I don't need a trailer for camping (I can manage with the tent over the bed, and it has a kitchen built in). So I no longer have that payment or the storage fees and I don't have to spend $250 a month on gas going back and forth to work.

And I get a wildly exciting vehicle to drive AND go off-road if I choose. The bonus is that it all fits nicely in one vehicle, in the garage. There is no compromises with the R1T and in the long run I save a ton of cash.

For me, it's the perfect vehicle at the perfect time.

Last edited:

Sponsored

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited, 2012 Honda CR-V
I live in Seattle area and moved from 2017 Lexus RX (totaled) to 2020 Hyundai Palisade. That was a big upgrade for me in terms of utility. I occasionally have family members visiting, have two kids, and already used 3rd row many times. I go for camping, hiking, skiing, and it's a breeze to pack with large storage. My inflatable kayak was in the trunk for the whole summer, and me and my daughter's skiis during winter.

I put my reservation in Feb 2019 because of the size, there is no other EV there. And other cars with similar luxury interior and powerful engines are at least $50k anyway.

Other than ev, the benefits over my current car is power, and a proper tailgate. Numerous time in last year I have lunch, ice cream etc. sitting in the trunk area of my car. A proper tailgate would be really awesome! And I'm ready to spend to get rid off heavy car feeling when accelerating.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
I NEED 800+hp, off-roading ability and I don't like the look of all these lifted hatchbacks masquerading as SUVs. The 3rd row is wasted on me, but the space back there isn't. I use my current SUV as an SUV, not some dainty, frou-frou luxury barge. My R1S will likely have trail rash, and it'll have scuffs and scrapes inside because I'll be hauling whatever I can stuff into the rear of it, and when that won't fit, I'll be towing a trailer that will fit whatever I want. I'm sure other offerings will come along that meet these basic requirements, but for the money, the R1S offers more than anything else I've seen, ICE or EV, current or upcoming.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

At this point and for the next few years the R1S is the biggest 7 row option available. THAT is the benefit for my family.

It may only be a few inches, but those few inches mean everything.
Until a full size suv or minivan becomes available that can comfortably seat 7 (still TBD on the R1S) then the R1S is the front runner.

Don't get me wrong, the other things are awesome but not necessary for my family.

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit today. I wanted something that I'd be comfortable camping in or taking a client to dinner. And it works great for those needs. It can haul me and my stuff, I can use it for camping, hauling mountain bikes, pulling a trailer, whatever I need. And it's reasonably well equipped with leather, wood grain, and chrome. It's interior is closer to that of a Mercedes than it is a Ford (no offense to the big blue oval but there's more plastic in those I've ridden in than there is anything else).

But my wife and I have 4 kids and it won't carry 6. Anything that's the whole fam, we're in the van (a Pacifica Hybrid). I'm excited about having a similarly capable SUV to my JGC that can seat 7 and is an EV. And I do like Rivian as a brand - the statement and priorities that go with the image they're creating.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

As we see more large EVs get announced, what benefit does a Rivian have over them? The main thing Rivian had going was being first by a long shot, but now it's all close together and the vehicle tech is still the same.

What I mean is, the Rivian tech both internally and battery is lacking in comparison. I don't NEED 800+ HP, it's just fun to have. If Fisker had a 7 seater I'd reserve it right now and cancel my Rivian. The production version Ioniq 7, Kia, etc are all superior tech, battery capacity, charging, and for the same or less money....
I don't agree in any way with the premise that Rivian's competitive advantage comes simply from being a first mover and that their tech isn't superior. List all of the quad motor vehicles with a fully adaptive hydraulic/air suspension combo that perform as well on road as off....I'll wait.

It's easy to say that a vehicle isn't special if you simply ignore all of the things that make it special, specifically the things that have amazed the vast majority of automotive journalists who have had the opportunity to drive it and have gushed about how exceptional it is.

Sponsored

IThinkFreely

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, Bronco Badlands
As you point out, most EVs going forward are going to be very similar on spec. Huge HP and torque, OTA updates, suspension, autonomy etc.

Rivian for me is more about the vibe and the ethos of the company (RJ). I've had my Model X for 5 years and was one of the first Model 3s in NJ. I love Tesla and what it has done and will do in the future - including it's non car related action.

Rivian turned my head though. Their 'Forever' commitment is compelling and their dedication to the outdoor adventure lifestyle commendable.

Hopefully the specter of Amazon does not spoil this in the future.

OP
OP

Perry24r

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Palisade
Occupation
HR
I should specify that I was referring to the R1S and not the T. As far as pickups go, the max pack R1T is the best choice IMO.

But I'm starting to not see the benefit of paying 90 grand for a max pack R1S when by the time it arrives there will be multiple 7 seat SUV options with 800v architecture, more tech, and 300+ mile range for the same price or a bit less.

Interesting conversation to have as we look a year + into the future.
Like most, I want to feel I'm getting my money's worth.

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
The production version Ioniq 7, Kia, etc are all superior tech, battery capacity, charging, and for the same or less money....
I hope so, it seems that will be the case based on Ioniq 5 info that’s out.

Our potential purchase is definitely more “want” than “need”. With used vehicle prices so high, it almost seems silly to keep my model 3 when a trade up to an R1S is probably less than $10k. So it’s a wait and see approach when the explore R1S is actually available (2023?) for us to figure out actual cost and what’s on the horizon.

The Kia EV9 is going to be a very interesting option and is at the top of the list of other vehicles to consider when it’s out. https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/kia-ev9-suv-concept-debut/

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
I agree Rivian they hit the target on size, price and features. Importantly it is size right for upscale suburban/urban buyers. The F150 and the Cybertruck are too big. The Suburban, Excursion, and Escalade are bigger than perhaps 90% of families desire.

Rivian is damn lucky that Tesla decided on the Cybertruck design. Few potential buyers will be torn between the two vehicles. There's a huge gap in Tesla's lineup between the Model Y and the Cybertruck.
Sponsored