Sponsored

Can the Rivian with Max Pack tow this trailer 167 miles in the cold?

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

If by looks you mean the same battery nodules' design, you'd be correct. But there is a noticeable size difference as there are more nodules in the Max pack (there's a pic floating about this forum that displays the number of nodules each pack has and how much space they take up. This is probably {mind you, mildly speculating here} one of the reasons the Max pack was removed from the R1S as an option due to that extra space).
I just meant if you see a R1T on the road you can't tell if it's battery is max/large/standard. So it may be possible/probable Rivian has a few max pack R1Ts running around.
Sponsored

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
I just meant if you see a R1T on the road you can't tell if it's battery is max/large/standard. So it may be possible/probable Rivian has a few max pack R1Ts running around.

Seeing how popular this vehicle is and how exhibitionist people are now-a-days, if anyone got a Rivian with a Max Pack delivered between today and any day in the prior months, it would have been blasted on the net quicker than <censored by the FCC>.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Seeing how popular this vehicle is and how exhibitionist people are now-a-days, if anyone got a Rivian with a Max Pack delivered between today and any day in the prior months, it would have been blasted on the net quicker than <censored by the FCC>.
Employees were pretty quiet on a lot of aspects of their R1Ts. Remember all the complaints about them not sharing much information? I doubt any non-employees have max pack, but wouldn't be shocked if some employees did, or Rivian was letting employees take them out for testing.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Employees were pretty quiet on a lot of aspects of their R1Ts. Remember all the complaints about them not sharing much information? I doubt any non-employees have max pack, but wouldn't be shocked if some employees did, or Rivian was letting employees take them out for testing.

And those that no longer work at Rivian, but know a max pack'd model was rolled out to one? I can't see all of them staying quiet with that juicy piece of info

No.92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
If the projected range is 400 miles at 100%, no trailer, and about 50% of that with trailer, you are looking at a range of 200 miles, with the trailer. Cold would reduce range further. And now you also have to assume you are charged up, all the way up to 100%, when these emergencies pop up. Could it do it most of the time, probably. But if I was worried about driving 200 miles in a moments notice for a medical emergency (animal or otherwise), I would probably have another vehicle.

Edit: I have no EV experience, so someone else may have a better guess than me, what I wrote is my thought process.
Plus considering the large pack gets 314mi EPA, my guess is the max pack is like 430mi+. 50% of that is 215mi of towing.

Sponsored

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
Plus considering the large pack gets 314mi EPA, my guess is the max pack is like 430mi+. 50% of that is 215mi of towing.
50% for towing, and shave another 25-35% for cold. I am not sure how both number intersect, but towing a small trailer in the cold drained the hell out of a Tesla X battery, beyond 50% quicker.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
And that's all speculative as we don't know just how much that battery pack will get affected accurately by those conditions. It could be that the over all effect comes out to less than 50% (towing and cold) or something worse along the lines of 70%. None of us here will know. That's why I'd rather wait to see a EPA on that pack. Speculation can only carry one so far ...

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
This can tow 6000 Ib which is cutting it close and not as good as R1 but may be enough if your daily drives are short:

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
My wife's passion is her horses. She eats, sleeps, dreams and spends most of our money on them. I'm comfortable transitioning to an EV with most of the trailering that we do. It is in the summer months and under 150 miles one way. There is usually a several day stop where the horses and trailer could be unloaded and the truck charged at the show grounds for the return trip. No problem.

My one worry is the veterinary hospital that is 167 miles one way. We rarely need to go there but when we do it's an emergency. We live in Northern Michigan so this trip could be when it is potentially very cold and there is no possibility with the horses and trailer in tow to stop for charging. It would be very dangerous to disconnect a trailer with horses in it or unload the horses at a station. I've got to be able to go from the house to the hospital. The hospital is in Lansing so there will be plenty of DCFC options for the return trip.

Our trailer is the standard box: 7'3" tall, 6'9" wide and 14'3" long. Fully loaded with both horses it weighs 5020lbs. Anyone with more experience EV towing have some thoughts/insight on if it will make it with the Max pack?

tempImagetMnS9l.png

Not sure I saw this mentioned in in any of the earlier response, but can you easily remove this trailer from a truck if you have horses inside?

99% of the high speed chargers deployed today are not pull through, so that could be super challenging to have to charge a truck when it is pulling a loaded trailer.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Flat, 60mph? Sure, most likely. You'd need charging very nearby. Worse case you buy an aluminum one horse trailer.

Interstate, or more? Wouldn't chance it.

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Op wants to know if he can tow a horse trailer with horses in an emergency situation.
This could mean it's cold (reduced range), storm with a headwind, truck not charged fully or barely charged. Also what about the situation where you think you have enough range, but not sure? Risk it???

Towing in cold weather you'll be lucky to get half your fully charged range and that's assuming you're ready for an emergency which you won't be.

Get an old ICE pickup for this situation for peace of mind if you're still hell bent on getting a Rivian.
Sponsored

Last edited: