Sponsored

Can the Rivian R1 production ramp beat the Tesla Model 3 ramp?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Tbh, I don't think they're particularly related. Mostly because of supply issues. RJ noted their limitation right now isn't the factory, but supply constraints. So... ?‍♂ when they will ramp faster.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Tbh, I don't think they're particularly related. Mostly because of supply issues. RJ noted their limitation right now isn't the factory, but supply constraints. So... ?‍♂ when they will ramp faster.
could be why they pause the line. if they are supply constrained and want to test maximum throughput, pause, build up parts and then crank them out at full speed.

So they could claim they hit the 200 r1 per week production rate, but since they only have supplies for say 150, it would just be that rate over fewer working days. Nothing says they have to sustain the rate for the entire week.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
could be why they pause the line. if they are supply constrained and want to test maximum throughput, pause, build up parts and then crank them out at full speed.

So they could claim they hit the 200 r1 per week production rate, but since they only have supplies for say 150, it would just be that rate over fewer working days. Nothing says they have to sustain the rate for the entire week.
That's my guess too.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
The answer is no, it is impossible for Rivian to match the model 3 ramp. The factory capacity is lower.

Sponsored

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Going to be a lot of folks trying to use this yardstick without factoring COVID I think.

Plus I'm not sure how simultaneous ramping two different R1 models and the Amazon van factors in and the fact that the Model 3 was Tesla's fourth production model.

It just feels like there are too many differences to make this a useful comparison.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Probably better to compare to the Model S ramp that started in June 2012 so the 2012 number is 2 quarters. This was without the supply chain shortages we we are seeing now. Even Musk is saying the Model S and Model X revamps have been majorly hindered by supply chain issues.

Here are the Model S numbers 2012 thru 2019….

Rivian R1T R1S Can the Rivian R1 production ramp beat the Tesla Model 3 ramp? 6F11843A-C9B1-4722-AEF1-FBAFBB370907

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

It is true that compared to the Mode 3 ramp there are some supply chain issues and the challenges of three vehicles being manufactured. On the positive side there is the past experience to work from rather than doing this for the first time. That helps.

FutureTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Pre Order 10/2021, Delivered 8/2022
No, they won't be able to match that. I expect my Q4 2022 ship date of my R1T will slip by a year at least.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
No.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

Why does everyone seem fixated on comparing to the Model 3 ramp? Wouldn’t comparing the Model S and X ramp be more appropriate for a first production of flagship vehicles?

I don’t expect the R1 demand to be anywhere close to the 3 or Y, so why would the R1 ramp need to be as rapid?

When the R2 starts production, then everyone can get out their calendars and track against the Model 3.
Sponsored