Sponsored

Can the key fob be fixed by Rivian service centers?

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

question for the hive mind. my key fob regularly take multiple presses to lock or unlock. this is beyond just waiting for the vehicle to wake up. for example, when i drive someplace, step out and then press the lock button, it can take 2,3,4 presses for it to lock. tried replacing the battery, no improvement.

anyone else have this issue and is there anything the service center can do?
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Have you tried removing and re-adding the fob (I'm assuming this is possible and self serviceable although have never tried it myself)?

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

I have the same problem on both my Rivian's and even replaced the battery. It's so finicky.

jb0063

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I had the same issue with my fob, and it was handled by the mobile service tech. They simply reprogrammed a new fob for me on the spot.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I had the same issue with my fob, and it was handled by the mobile service tech. They simply reprogrammed a new fob for me on the spot.
New fob doesn't have the multiple press before or after driving issues?

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
We have four different vehicles using fobs at our house, the Rivian fob by far has the shortest range and worst performance of all four by a wide margin. Could be the vehicle, could be the fob. Without test equipment it's impossible to determine which is to blame. I guess if I was motivated enough I could fire up my Tiny SA (radio frequency spectrum analyzer) and compare the RF output of all four fobs...

Riv_Ian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi TTS, Triumph TR6, Tiger Explorer
Occupation
CEO
I had my key fob become completely inoperable - I think it likely didn't complete the software update. Rivian took me into password protected parts of the vehicle OS to try and force the update without luck. I was then sent to the service center where a tech fixed it (I didn't see what they did, but did see them taking a tablet or laptop out to the vehicle). They considered the fob not working to be a safety issue, so they expedited the service appointment.

jb0063

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
New fob doesn't have the multiple press before or after driving issues?
Not nearly as bad as it was. I've found when walking away from the vehicle, I have to be pointing the fob in a direct line to the vehicle. My issue before was that even if I was standing with the fob 12" away from door, it would take multiple presses to unlock, and the frunk unlock button never worked.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Not nearly as bad as it was. I've found when walking away from the vehicle, I have to be pointing the fob in a direct line to the vehicle. My issue before was that even if I was standing with the fob 12" away from door, it would take multiple presses to unlock, and the frunk unlock button never worked.
I'll be adding this issue to my ticket when I book my half shaft appointment.

Mine worked great from the start, then the first update they did in shop made it not work as well. Then the second by the vehicle itself made it trash.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I was at the service center and overheard a service advisor say to someone "you have a first gen fob so we're gonna give you this new one for free" so.... worth a service ticket!

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Rivian took me into password protected parts of the vehicle OS to try and force the update without luck.
What was the code for the RIDE menu??

Riv_Ian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi TTS, Triumph TR6, Tiger Explorer
Occupation
CEO
What was the code for the RIDE menu??
I wish I could tell you - I got the call from service while out and didn’t note anything down. I recall having to tap the screen several times at the top and/or bottom and enter a password. There might have been another step.

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (broken), 20"], 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

Has anyone purchased a new Fob? Are they available? I didn't see it listed in the Gear Shop.
Mine only worked over short distances. It would often lock the truck as I walked around the end of the bed (so I'd have to walk back toward the front, so that it would unlock), before I could open my tailgate. Yesterday I was trying to air up a tire, using the integral pump) near the tailgate. Since it kept shutting off the pump, I made the mistake of setting the Fob down on top of the tonneau (near the cab) to keep the pump running. And then I forgot about the Fob, and drove away.

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
Known defect, caused by bad design. In January, they said that it's expected because the FOB is Bluetooth and has to connect etc. I don't expect a fix, but it's good if they do. This is my #1 most annoying thing with the car.
Sponsored