can the crossbars be configured for long items without hitting the roof

sjg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ram 1500
If you had to haul a long straight item like a 12' ladder, can the crossbars be configured to use one on the roof and one in the bed as tie points. Yes, I know that I can put one on the roof and one in the bed. However, it looks like the item would hit the spoiler on the back of the roof. I don't want to start a debate as to the correct way to haul long items (ladders, boards, trim, etc). I am just curious if this configuration would work without hitting the roof.

Rivian R1T R1S can the crossbars be configured for long items without hitting the roof r1t1 (2)

Rivian R1T R1S can the crossbars be configured for long items without hitting the roof r1t1

Rivian R1T R1S can the crossbars be configured for long items without hitting the roof 1642792613282
Sponsored

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
I had the same concern. Like you, I don't think it'll work without hitting the spoiler, but I'm still hopeful.

However, even if it doesn't work, you can get a hitch extender for relatively cheap (cheaper than the cross-bars), which drastically expands the usability of the vehicle.

That one can be configured for both long items out the bed (like getting 10' boards home when the bed is only 7' with the gate open), as well as making it tall so you can carry stupidly long things home over the roof.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
It would be very cool (and useful) if Rivian offered a set of rear only crossbars that were tall enough they could be used with a set of roof crossbars to create storage for longer items like ladders, canoes, lumber, etc. Obviously they would have to be fixed height, but I would buy that in a second. I have a feeling we will depend on the aftermarket for this solution.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
There's been talk of optional "telescoping" rear crossbars that would match the height of the fronts - but I don't think that's been confirmed.

Hopefully it becomes a reality in the near future!

Edit - this photo makes me think it'll almost certainly hit the rear spoiler, unfortunately.
Rivian R1T R1S can the crossbars be configured for long items without hitting the roof 1642798765909

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
There's been talk of optional "telescoping" rear crossbars that would match the height of the fronts - but I don't think that's been confirmed.

Hopefully it becomes a reality in the near future!
Telescoping would be amazing. I am a little skeptical of that given the height it would need to reach, but luckily people much smarter than me make these things happen.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Rivian had several sketches and renders of cab-height crossbars for the bed in early videos and during their 2019 preview event tour. I'd be surprised if they don't ship something eventually. If not them, the aftermarket certainly will.

In the meantime, I bet you could make this work with something like a ladder roller that sits on top of the roof bars to add a few inches of extra clearance. But it seems a little hacky to me.
Sponsored