Sponsored

Can Rivian sell direct in NC?

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Actually, that looks like Augusta, Charlotte, and Wilmington to me.
Definitely looks like Augusta, GA and Charlotte metros. I wouldn't be surprised if the "Charlotte" location ends up being on the reservation outside of Rock Hill, SC.
Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Definitely looks like Augusta, GA and Charlotte metros. I wouldn't be surprised if the "Charlotte" location ends up being on the reservation outside of Rock Hill, SC.
When I think about it, Lumberton, NC makes more sense to me as it's at I-74/I-95.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'm just hoping that map isn't an indication of Rivian's navigation capabilities!

I was thinking the Greensboro area would make more sense as a base to cover Charlotte and the Triangle, but the Charlotte one and South Hill one make decent sense. Maybe it's really South Hill and Fort Mill as they're making better headway into getting a service center in SC than in NC.
Unless you could have only one location, I don't think Greensboro makes sense. Trying to be "in the middle" really just means making it inconvenient for everyone.

MattCanesR1T

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Director Quality Engineering
Cross posting from other thread:

So I never heard from my local (Wake) NC senator/representatives about did get a response from Jeff Jackson's legislative assistant:

MattCanesR1T,

I have passed on your considerations concerning EV adoption to Senator Jackson. He is open to considering such options, and will discuss them with his colleagues. Thank you for reaching out.

Alexander Crespo

OP
OP

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
C20740A0-4D05-4510-AC1F-9B3314902701.jpeg

From the video posted today for the IPO they had this service center map. Since rivian can’t operate service centers in NC or SC it looks like they are planning something. The north dot looks like maybe south hill VA area, which is only an hour and change from Raleigh. The lower two I can’t figure out.
I saw that last night. Yes, looks like Charlotte and maybe Lumberton, NC off I-95 where the dot on the right side is.

Sponsored

OP
OP

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Cross posting from other thread:

So I never heard from my local (Wake) NC senator/representatives about did get a response from Jeff Jackson's legislative assistant:

MattCanesR1T,

I have passed on your considerations concerning EV adoption to Senator Jackson. He is open to considering such options, and will discuss them with his colleagues. Thank you for reaching out.

Alexander Crespo
My good friend is also my NC Representative. He met with Rivian's people. Most likely after the New Year, we'll need to get a bill in process for the short session to allow Rivian to sell & service in NC.

Lysdexic

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tundra
This is encouraging. How do you know they are making head way for a service center in SC?

I am north of Charlotte and still apprehensive about purchasing a R1T with no service capabilities close by.

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
... for vehicle pick up and servicing it seems that it would require the buyers that reside in states not authorized for direct sales to travel to a state where they are authorized to sell.”

So no, no servicing will be allowed unless we are able to change the current law.
To the best of my understanding, SC is similar or worse, won't be an option for NC residents. Is that your understanding?

OP
OP

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
To the best of my understanding, SC is similar or worse, won't be an option for NC residents. Is that your understanding?
I don't know first hand but have heard that yes, SC has a strong dealer associate that is not excited about Direct Manufacture sales. I did share with Rivian the idea of partnering with say the Catawba Indian Nation in Rock Hill, SC, and also with the Cherokee's in NC as that would be a possible option.

rthree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Coming in late to this thread (and bummed!)

Is there any specific measure I can contact my state rep(s) to push forward. It is ridiculous to waste time on this as an issue with a million other things to worry about legislation-wise, but here we are (thanks Hendrick). Possibly the exemption for Tesla should be expanded, or would it be more likely to add another exemption for Rivian specifically? Anyways just trying to clarify my talking points, thanks for any tips

Sponsored

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
If you live in NC and want a Rivian please call your state Congress representative & Senator.

I spoke this week my with Representative who did some research on Rivian’s ability to direct sell in NC. Below is some information he shared with me.
Old news by now, but there were some articles in North Carolina business journals and the Charlotte Observer just over the last few days. All i can find are behind paywalls, I can't find a useful link to the articles, but will paste a couple paragraphs below....

For example, https://www.bizjournals.com/triangl...zon-backed-rivian-picked-georgia-over-nc.html
"
"Rivian, an Amazon-backed company that in December confirmed plans for a 7,500-job facility near Atlanta, Georgia, took North Carolina off the site list because a state bill it thought could pass was never brought forward.

While negotiating with the state over potential incentives, records obtained through a Freedom of Information request show Rivian........, was in contact with Wake County state Rep. Julie von Haefen on a measure that would allow certain automakers to sell directly to customers rather than through auto dealers – potentially leveling the playing field, as Tesla had already negotiated the ability to have six direct sale centers in the state.................
But it never materialized...............................

North Carolina is one of several states with restrictions on direct sales for automakers – North Carolina also bans direct auto servicing. Georgia lawmakers have introduced a bill to allow electric vehicle makers to have unlimited dealer locations. Like North Carolina, the state currently allows Tesla to have a limited number of locations."

Lysdexic

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tundra
Old news by now, but there were some articles in North Carolina business journals and the Charlotte Observer just over the last few days. All i can find are behind paywalls, I can't find a useful link to the articles, but will paste a couple paragraphs below....

For example, https://www.bizjournals.com/triangl...zon-backed-rivian-picked-georgia-over-nc.html
"
"Rivian, an Amazon-backed company that in December confirmed plans for a 7,500-job facility near Atlanta, Georgia, took North Carolina off the site list because a state bill it thought could pass was never brought forward.

While negotiating with the state over potential incentives, records obtained through a Freedom of Information request show Rivian........, was in contact with Wake County state Rep. Julie von Haefen on a measure that would allow certain automakers to sell directly to customers rather than through auto dealers – potentially leveling the playing field, as Tesla had already negotiated the ability to have six direct sale centers in the state.................
But it never materialized...............................

North Carolina is one of several states with restrictions on direct sales for automakers – North Carolina also bans direct auto servicing. Georgia lawmakers have introduced a bill to allow electric vehicle makers to have unlimited dealer locations. Like North Carolina, the state currently allows Tesla to have a limited number of locations."
Like you I couldn’t ever find an article not behind a paywall. Thank you for posting a few paragraphs. It’s disheartening and makes me suspect that, regardless of configuration, we will be among the last to receive our vehicles. Bummer

Lysdexic

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tundra
Further: it makes even more sense for Rivian to allow us in “outlawed” states to take factory delivery and tour the facility. Seems like a win/win situation. Service is another matter that may never change.

Deacon

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Further: it makes even more sense for Rivian to allow us in “outlawed” states to take factory delivery and tour the facility. Seems like a win/win situation. Service is another matter that may never change.
I think Rivian will plan service costs in the leadership-challenged states as that of having the vehicle towed to an "acceptable" location.
Sponsored