Sponsored

Can Rivian sell direct in NC?

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
How about posting a templet of the email you sent.
Nothing crazy, but here's what I sent. I edited the last sentence and greeting for my representative as he's in a different party.

Sen. XXXXX,

I'm not sure if you're aware, but there's a new American automaker, Rivian, that has started production and is now selling electric vehicles. Currently, I can buy a Rivian from out of state, but they're not currently allowed to sell in NC or service said vehicle in NC. I understand exceptions have been made for Tesla, and I'd like to see similar exceptions made for Rivian, or preferably get rid of the current dealer laws preventing competition in the marketplace.

Any effort you can do to help this out would be appreciated. I understand you're currently in the minority, so I won't ask for anything crazy like electric vehicle tax credits, haha.

Thank you for your time!

XXXXX
Sponsored

OP
OP

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Nothing crazy, but here's what I sent. I edited the last sentence and greeting for my representative as he's in a different party.

Sen. XXXXX,

I'm not sure if you're aware, but there's a new American automaker, Rivian, that has started production and is now selling electric vehicles. Currently, I can buy a Rivian from out of state, but they're not currently allowed to sell in NC or service said vehicle in NC. I understand exceptions have been made for Tesla, and I'd like to see similar exceptions made for Rivian, or preferably get rid of the current dealer laws preventing competition in the marketplace.

Any effort you can do to help this out would be appreciated. I understand you're currently in the minority, so I won't ask for anything crazy like electric vehicle tax credits, haha.

Thank you for your time!

XXXXX
This is good. Honestly, the more support and more positive noise we can bring to support Rivian the better.

I've had conversations with people in Raleigh and with Rivian. I do not have a broad enough view of this, but I have seen support on both sides of the aisle to support Rivian. Rivian also has excellent representation here in NC. Rivian does feel they have all legal rights to sell a vehicle to us, it's the service part long term that is a challenge and predicament they do not want to put their customers in. The challenge in 2022 for Rivian is the short session. They may only have a few weeks to get a bill through. Like a lot of things in life, you may only get one chance to do it right, so my guess would be they continue to work and build support in 2022 and then bring a bill forward in 2023 when they have all their ducks in a row and know they will win. This is only based on my guesswork and I'm hoping I'm wrong. I've asked since I have a Oct.-Dec. delivery window, will this stop me from taking delivery of my R1T in NC and have been reassured that it will not.

Deacon

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

This is good. Honestly, the more support and more positive noise we can bring to support Rivian the better.

I've had conversations with people in Raleigh and with Rivian. I do not have a broad enough view of this, but I have seen support on both sides of the aisle to support Rivian. Rivian also has excellent representation here in NC. Rivian does feel they have all legal rights to sell a vehicle to us, it's the service part long term that is a challenge and predicament they do not want to put their customers in. The challenge in 2022 for Rivian is the short session. They may only have a few weeks to get a bill through. Like a lot of things in life, you may only get one chance to do it right, so my guess would be they continue to work and build support in 2022 and then bring a bill forward in 2023 when they have all their ducks in a row and know they will win. This is only based on my guesswork and I'm hoping I'm wrong. I've asked since I have a Oct.-Dec. delivery window, will this stop me from taking delivery of my R1T in NC and have been reassured that it will not.
I sent letters to my representatives and also to Jeff Jackson -my former Senator when I lived in Charlotte. Can't hurt.
Sponsored