BoIsADog

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach-E
Some people are too kind.
I love Alexa (and this is coming from and Apple Developer). The only issues I have had stem from the remoteness of my location. Every now and then Alexa is not available.
Agreed. For me has been solid for car functions, making calls, changing the music. Location search could be better, but car gets better every month.
Alexa is second rate. It's slightly less worthless in the Rivian when compared to the Ford Mach E. AA is superior. I do think Rivian will get around to it. Timeline unknown.

I don't have it disabled and don't try to get it to do much. That saves headaches as some have also suggested.

Never used it and havenā€™t found a reason that Iā€™d need to. Just stop using it and stop being frustrated with it.
I tried Alexa for a few days but gave up. Itā€™s limited, especially compared to Google Assistant. Rivian, letā€™s move on.
Now if Alexa is causing vampire drain. DOWN WITH ALEXA!
Sponsored

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Some people are too kind.

Alexa is second rate. It's slightly less worthless in the Rivian when compared to the Ford Mach E. AA is superior. I do think Rivian will get around to it. Timeline unknown.

I don't have it disabled and don't try to get it to do much. That saves headaches as some have also suggested.

Now if Alexa is causing vampire drain. DOWN WITH ALEXA!
Some people are just haters

SDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
Never used Alexa, probably never will either. It's a frickin' car; why do I need to talk to robot? You can do everything you need to in your Rivian without Alexa. Just forget it's there and move on.

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
I find Alexa pretty helpful but I only use it for climate controls. As much as Iā€™d like to have CarPlay, Siri couldnā€™t control my climate settings the way Alexa can. Alexa is practically worthless for navigation though, unfortunately.

Sponsored

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

I say Alexa, she answers, "Alexa can not connect to the internet" or Can not understand. Meaning, all she knows is her name. Maybe I do not have the correct settings in my system, or do not have an account, or the dam thing is busted.
This happened to me. I'd try to use it for a while, and always get that error. I thought it was an actual connectivity issue, but was wrong. For some reason the truck made me re-enable / setup Alexa. Go into the settings and make sure it is set up and enabled.

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired Plumbing Contractor
Clubs

This happened to me. I'd try to use it for a while, and always get that error. I thought it was an actual connectivity issue, but was wrong. For some reason the truck made me re-enable / setup Alexa. Go into the settings and make sure it is set up and enabled.
So is Alexa linked by the factory to the Rivian and supposed to work but has a weak signal? or, did she sneak in like a worm and is after our love and participation?
Do we disable her to keep our privacy, or whip her into submission and enhance our experience with the new world times of voice control?
For me, it's confusing and annoying. I just censor the A word.

R1S88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Open the tailgate, open the trunk, open the charge door, show navigation screen, set temperature to 72 all work fine. I just want a handful of commands to work and there are enough to make Alexa useful. I think if your expectations are low enough you will be satisfied.

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired Plumbing Contractor
Clubs

Oh, so Alexa is supposed to work with the R1T system and do things! The options you said would be good to have, but Alexa just says "can not access the internet". So I guess using then touch screen is needed for me. Unless someone tells me how to connect the R1T and Alexa and the internet. Isn't there a French word for that?

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

I only use it for calling people hands free and opening the frunk ( though it doesnā€™t know the word frunk). Most of the time it works just fine for these purposes.

Sponsored

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Explorer Limited, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Ironically I haven't been able to get Alexa to control any functions in the rivian.l, but can control stuff in my house. When I ask her to navigate to a address shs botched the street name..never understands the phone contacts or the tailgate..my wife and I rolled into our driveway after a date and noticed one of the kids lights was still on and were able to tell her to turn off the light in that room from the street.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Never used it and havenā€™t found a reason that Iā€™d need to. Just stop using it and stop being frustrated with it.
This. It's easier to change whatever I need to change manually and it's an extra bonus I'm not opting in to big brother listening into all my private conversations. Hey wiretap, record my speech and upload it to amazon for me.

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Never used Alexa, probably never will either. It's a frickin' car; why do I need to talk to robot? You can do everything you need to in your Rivian without Alexa. Just forget it's there and move on.
Right... You can do everything you need to without Alexa...

If you don't mind taking your eyes off the road to click through pointless touchscreen menus that could have been negated if Rivian had only implemented a useful voice assistant.

I shouldn't have to choose between pulling over or taking my eyes off the road in order to make a phone call.

This would have been avoided with Android Auto and Apple Carplay.

Physical buttons would have helped to.

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I finally had a chance to test drive the R1S. My estimated delivery date is rapidly approaching.

The test drive was the final nail in the coffin.

I'm going to buy the Rivian and immediate sell it to a friend.

I'm going to stick with my 2023 BMW which has Android Auto, physical buttons for common tasks, awesome driver assistance technology, panoramic moonroof that actually opens and has a power shade to clock out sun when needed, much more comfortable and adjustable seats, power lift gate and tailgate, phenomenal color head up display, and more.

My BMW is a plug in hybrid, and I was really on the fence about switching to Rivian. After driving the Rivian, it became apparent how far behind they are. Thankfully I don't need the 3rd row which is the only real advantage of the Rivian, so for now my X5 meets my needs and has far more features features for a similar price. It feels much more luxurious too. The only disadvantages of the X5 are that it is not fully electric and that it is not really meant for legit off-roading.

I think the UI of Rivian and lack of better Android Auto is really the main problem though.

I want to be able to get in my Ford, Chrysler, Dodge, Chevy, etc and use the same apps for consistency. For me... That is accomplished with Android Auto. Everything such as email, calendar, phone calls, music, and more are managed by Google products. It's just so much more convenient to have one platform that integrates everything regardless of where I am or which vehicle I'm driving.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
I sure have.
Sponsored