Sponsored

Can I limit the Rivian charger if needed?

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
If I install the charger on a 60a circuit, but only want it to ouput 32a or 40a, is that possible through the dip switches? We have the empty 60a circuit for it, but the panel it needs to be installed at only has 125a, and during the day we are going to be pushing it. Going to charge mostly at night, so it should be fine, but if it trips the whole breaker I will have to limit it.
Sponsored

Jamuso

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Sr software engineer - manager
i believe you can set the amp from within the Rivian itself.

OP
OP
NashvilleR1S

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
i believe you can set the amp from within the Rivian itself.
Oh that'd be great, so if I know Ill be parked at home for 12+ hours it could charge slower?

Jamuso

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Sr software engineer - manager
that's how i understand it to work - slow the power in, slower the charge. i'm new to EVs - i'm sure there's many that can confirm this.

whereismyr1t

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Network Engineer
Yes the Rivian home charger can be set via dip switches. The manual is available on the Rivian site.

Sponsored

Joints4Sale

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, e-tron GT,Ram CTD,R1250GSA, Tuareg 660
Occupation
Orthopaedic Implant Sales
If I were in your shoes, I would set the limit in the truck as it is easier to change than the dip switches. Very easy to set the charge limit in the truck. Any where between 8 and 48amps by increments of 2.

Rivian R1T R1S Can I limit the Rivian charger if needed? 2C9BBDA8-73D5-427E-97CB-33BA0AF83C06

Rivian R1T R1S Can I limit the Rivian charger if needed? 8F7429C8-2A94-4097-89A3-6BE9A585BD10

OP
OP
NashvilleR1S

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
If I were in your shoes, I would set the limit in the truck as it is easier to change than the dip switches. Very easy to set the charge limit in the truck. Any where between 8 and 48amps by increments of 2.
That is fantastic. Did not know that was a thing! Thank you!

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
The dip switches in the box are used to indicate to the truck the maximum amount of current the truck is allowed to draw. Thus, for example, if the box is installed on a 50A circuit (50A breaker) the truck will be told that it is allowed to draw up to 40A from that circuit. The DIP switches are to be set by a professional installer and you may not change their settings to control the current.

Within the truck there is a screen which allows you to change how much current the truck actually draws. This is where you set the amount of current you want to take during a given charge. Many feel that slower charging may appreciably extend battery life (more cycles) and therefore charge at the slowest rate that time constraints allow. Other times at which you may wish to lower rate is if you have demand charges in your local tariff, are charging multiple vehicles at the same time or are using a solar setup.
Sponsored