Sponsored

Can I get the option to replace the charging port on my upcoming R1S with the Tesla's North American Charging Standard (NACS) port?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Which standards body has codified “NACS”? SAE? ASME? CSA?

oh, none of them?
Sponsored

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Can I get the option to replace the charging port on my upcoming R1S with the Tesla's North American Charging Standard (NACS) port?
I will take Tesla Supercharger network over any other that exits today. The combined total of EA, EVgo, ChargePoint and whathaveyou all amounts to unreliable inconsistent mess.

If Rivian had the option, which they'll probably never will, would make their own RAN obsolete and unnecessary.

As a Tesla owner, I do not look forward to having bunch of other vehicles to contend with for charging but as a future Rivian owner with Tesla still in the garage, it would make the home charing simpler and roadtrips planning far easier.

Once people get past the silly anti-Tesla/Elon emotions, the logic of using the Supercharger network over any other makes so much sense that it does argue for being the standard in NA.

The CCS port is fine if all the charge stations was as reliable and available as the Superchargers are. Unfortunately, they are not.

I agree with your thoughts...

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I will take Tesla Supercharger network over any other that exits today
I can't wait to hear all the bitching and moaning about having charging issues with people's Rivians on the Tesla network. Part of the reason it works so well is Tesla having control of both sides.

With a tesla, if you are having a problem with charging, you only have to call Tesla and they'll be able to figure out what the issue is and most likely fix it. With any other manufacturer, Tesla will be quick to blame the car and tell you you're on your own.

Last edited:

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Once people get past the silly anti-Tesla/Elon emotions, the logic of using the Supercharger network over any other makes so much sense that it does argue for being the standard in NA.
Wow. Way to make a big assumption about other people’s state of mind. But… no. It’s not emotional and it’s not a universally obvious preference. If I had an Android phone because I preferred it to the walled garden of Apple I wouldn’t want my phone to have the Apple-controlled lightning connector, which is superior to USB-C in several technical and physical aspects. I simply wouldn’t want one of my device’s most absolutely critical functions to be tied to the whims of a direct competitor.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

staytuned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I can't wait to hear all the bitching and moaning about having charging issues with people's Rivians on the Tesla network. Part of the reason it works so well is Tesla having control of both sides.
“Due to high demand, non-Tesla vehicles will be limited to 2kW charging at this station.

Consider subscribing to Tesla Premium Charging Beta for $249/mo”

Last edited:

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Pretty sure this is a troll post.
Unfortunately I have seen similar posts on other Rivian groups. I want no part of a vehicle that has a Tesla charger that is not a Tesla vehicle. I mean I don't see any issues at all coming up from that situation. Elon and Tesla are very honorable and would never do anything shady.:rolleyes:

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Unfortunately I have seen similar posts on other Rivian groups. I want no part of a vehicle that has a Tesla charger that is not a Tesla vehicle. I mean I don't see any issues at all coming up from that situation. Elon and Tesla are very honorable and would never do anything shady.:rolleyes:
I agree. I’d consider a Tesla if Elon is gone.

Sponsored

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
Buy a Tesla, I hear it comes with one installed.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I will sign up for that as the “standard” as long as this photo is printed onto every charger and charging port door:

Rivian R1T R1S Can I get the option to replace the charging port on my upcoming R1S with the Tesla's  North American Charging Standard (NACS) port? 1670418741922

Last edited:

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
“Due to high demand, non-Tesla vehicles will be limited to 2kW charging at this station.

Consider subscribing to Tesla Premium Charging Beta for $249/mo”
Exactly. Who wants to give the man-baby Elon complete control over ALL of North America's charging infrastructure? What a terrible idea, given his rash decision making process (read: there is no decision making process). Sure the Tesla connector is far superior in terms of ergonomics and ease of use, but it needs to be separated from Tesla (as in someone else owns the IP) before anyone could take it seriously to use in other vehicles.

To add, my wife and I will not take my wife's car on road trips (Mustang Mach E GT) because the infrastructure is so bad. We take our Tesla 100% of the time because the infrastructure is so much better. I wish all EVs had Tesla's infrastructure but I don't see it feasibly happening.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer

The CCS port is fine if all the charge stations was as reliable and available as the Superchargers are. Unfortunately, they are not.
I agree, the Supercharger network is great, but that has nothing to do with the connector, neither does the reliability of the other networks' chargers. Superchargers in Europe use CCS2, and the reliability is not diminished. Regardless of anyone's views of the connector's "elegance", CCS (1 or 2) vs Tesla (NAC"not a"S) is not more or less reliable.

To answer the OP, no you cannot, and you will not be able to do so. Rivian will not be changing on current product, or anything that is currently in the pipeline.

No established automaker will choose to do this unless Tesla separates the Supercharger network into a new (unbiased?) entity. It would be totally foolish to spend billions to develop a vehicle where the use by your customer was dictated by a competitor.

Grabs10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo T8 and f350
If Rivian doesn’t offer it as an option hopefully after market can come in and fix it…. Teslas charge just fine on CCS connectors when you find stations that work. The NACS connector on a Rivian would be a huge upgrade that Rivian or aftermarket could turn a profit on.
Sponsored