Sponsored

Can a Canadian purchase their Rivian in the U.S.?

huskylord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subie
Back in 2007, I was extremely fortunate that the Canadian dollar experienced a brief, but awesome period where it was equal to the U.S. dollar. Despite the currency equivalency, there was a huge premium for the same cars sold in Canada relative to the U.S......so, you had a huge amount of Canadians crossing the border and buying their vehicles in the States (I saved $15k for my Subie doing this).

The Canadian dollar is rising once again relative to the U.S.
Will pricing always be in U.S and then converted at the time of purchase....or will Rivian fix the Canadian dollar price?
Sponsored

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
This is what Rivian has to say about this idea:

I placed a preorder in Canada, can I take delivery in the United States or vice versa?
In most cases, this depends on where you’re registering the vehicle and will require a United States residence with an in-state license. This may also affect your service experience as your vehicle will require parts be shipped to your local Service Center from the country it is built for. We recommend you take delivery in the same location as your primary address.

OP
OP

huskylord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subie
This is what Rivian has to say about this idea:

Thank you.

I'd still argue if you're close to the border, it might be worth it.
US base pricing for the R1T starts at $69.5
Canadian dollar listed starting at $90K.

Convert the $69.5 US based on todays rate (Canadian is 0.8 US...and yes I understand rates will vary), but that converts to $80K.....

So, as a Canadian if you were to lock in today with Canadian dollar pricing, you are paying a $10K premium.

Just saying.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Thank you.

I'd still argue if you're close to the border, it might be worth it.
US base pricing for the R1T starts at $69.5
Canadian dollar listed starting at $90K.

Convert the $69.5 US based on todays rate (Canadian is 0.8 US...and yes I understand rates will vary), but that converts to $80K.....

So, as a Canadian if you were to lock in today with Canadian dollar pricing, you are paying a $10K premium.

Just saying.
I'm not taking a position on it one way or the other. Just wanted to share the info from Rivian in case you hadn't seen it.

Not having any experience in this area, do you know if you would have to pay any import taxes/tariffs for bringing it across the border? And if so, what impact does that have on the price difference?

OP
OP

huskylord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subie
Yup very true. When I imported the Subaru, there were fees, duties, and based on the dollar, it was still well worth it. And don't think in any way that my prior post in any way was arguing against you (it was much appreciated).

We Canadians just have to do a bit more homework to save a loonie or two.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
A few years ago I casually looked into buying a Honda Ridgeline in Canada and driving it back to the USA. The reason was the Canadian Ridgeline had several features I wanted that were absent from the US-spec vehicle. (Power folding side mirrors, ventilated front seats, rear seat HVAC controls).

I quickly found out that it was NOT a good idea. There would be considerable taxes/tariffs/fees involved, as well as some red-tape paperwork. There are companies that will do this for you, but they charge a decent amount.

The other issue was warranty; I contacted Honda and they advised that US dealers would not honor the warranty on a Canadian VIN.

Ultimately, you have to REALLY want the vehicle and be willing to pay a LOT more for it, if you're going to go this route. Since Rivian will be selling directly to Canadians, you're better off waiting.

If you think you're going to save money buying in the USA, you're mistaken, imo.

Reed

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Toyota Tacoma, March/24 Reservation for R2
Occupation
Retired
" Will pricing always be in U.S and then converted at the time of purchase....or will Rivian fix the Canadian dollar price? "

There's the question I would like to see addressed. Does the Canadian price fluctuate as the currency changes.

The irony here is that the Canadian Loonie is a petro-currency. The more successful green companies are at disrupting the oil industry with alternate energy technology, the greater the downward pressure on the price of oil - and by extension, the value of the loonie.

So, basically what I want is a short term surge in the price of oil - right up until I by my electric vehicle. Then, oil can just tank (so to speak).

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
" Will pricing always be in U.S and then converted at the time of purchase....or will Rivian fix the Canadian dollar price? "

There's the question I would like to see addressed. Does the Canadian price fluctuate as the currency changes.
I have no insight on that question, but I'm curious: What do other manufacturers do? I would guess that GM/Tesla set a Canadian price... but maybe they float with the exchange rate?

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Depending on your level of effort and how bad you want too, you could always setup a small business/LLC register it in the USA and buy your vehicle thru those channels as a "company" vehicle. Granted it would need to be justified which you can almost certainly do. I opened my own LLC last year and debating on doing as such just to say I can.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Depending on your level of effort and how bad you want too, you could always setup a small business/LLC register it in the USA and buy your vehicle thru those channels as a "company" vehicle. Granted it would need to be justified which you can almost certainly do. I opened my own LLC last year and debating on doing as such just to say I can.
https://www.mtllcservices.com/?gcli...HPGqK3PdgtRAnX06mUlSm1GiKDIHd9YwaAn5KEALw_wcB
This could be advantageous for Canadian and even U.S. buyers. I'm not an expert just know it's a thing.

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Reed

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Toyota Tacoma, March/24 Reservation for R2
Occupation
Retired
I have no insight on that question, but I'm curious: What do other manufacturers do? I would guess that GM/Tesla set a Canadian price... but maybe they float with the exchange rate?
It's hard to tell how they factor in the exchange rate.

For GM and Ford, it might not be as big an issue. They manufacture some vehicles in Canada. Plus they might get some kind of credit for US-made vehicles that include some parts made in Canada.

Tesla changes its price so often, it is hard to tell exactly what's going on. Their website lists a set price. For example, they currently show a Canadian price of $64,990 for a dual motor all-wheel drive Model 3, long range. I really don't know what would happen if I were to order that today and the Canadian dollar either surged or floundered before delivery.

OP
OP

huskylord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subie
So from what I recall from the Subaru purchase days, the issue with cross border purchases was not with the manufacturer, it was with the dealerships losing all the revenue down south. They were the ones who closed the loopholes and made it much more difficult to import a new vehicle into Canada when the equivalent was sold here. Lots of us got the stink eye from dealerships here when they found out you were part of the crowd that bought down south.

I'm assuming Rivian is not selling franchise dealerships that try to protect territory.

And I also realize that those who can afford a $100K + vehicle probably wouldn't go through the hoops to save a couple a grand here or there.......but it might mean the difference between getting the max sized battery, better tires, etc.

Cheers

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
I'd love to be able to buy in Canada and get delivered to my door, but just pay the USD price. My pre-order deposit was $1000 USD, and logging into my Rivian account still shows USD pricing. I've have USD cash sitting aside for my purchase for a little while now, ready to be wired. (Side note: because of the production delays, I wish that cash had been invested in something rather than just sitting there depreciating ?)

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I'd love to be able to buy in Canada and get delivered to my door, but just pay the USD price. My pre-order deposit was $1000 USD, and logging into my Rivian account still shows USD pricing. I've have USD cash sitting aside for my purchase for a little while now, ready to be wired. (Side note: because of the production delays, I wish that cash had been invested in something rather than just sitting there depreciating ?)
Depending on how long ago that money was set aside, having it invested in Tesla may have paid for your Rivian. That is coming from someone who, sadly, missed that boat a long time ago.?

Luckily, my holdings in G.E. are keeping my income taxes down. So I've got that going for me, which is nice...
Sponsored