First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Showing my age here, but I'm at the point when getting up a couple times at night is the usual (guys, if you're not there yet, you will be). Neither of the two talked up here will do it for me. If I want to go small and light, the HC1 Studio is where I would start ( HC1 Studio - Happier Camper ). If I want more flexibility, space for the dogs (not in the truck at night), probably the Escape 17B - Escape Trailer with the composting toilet option.
Sponsored

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I foresee battery conditioning being an unaddressed complication in these systems. Good luck keeping your batteries in good shape while pulling 9kwh when it’s cold. Either way it’s still a good use of space especially on a vehicle that doesn’t seem to care about weight when towing. I think I’d be better off putting a false floor in my cargo trailer and stuffing it with batteries and an inverter.
I am leaning that way too. Could pick up 6 48v lifepo4 batteries and mpt/inverter combo for $10k. Gives you 30kwh with thousands of cycles. Calendar aging will kill them first. Adding the solar to it in a feasible way would make it exciting.

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
Some nice features in here on the Battery side. Supports CCS as well as J1772 in both directions. 75 kWh battery, can be used to charge vehicle or setup as home backup power.
This got me thinking. It's too bad the Rivian software automatically assumes half the range when towing.

Several tests have proven it's not the weight as much as the aerodynamics of the trailer. That being said, imagine dropping all of the "ammenities" of the trailer, and towing a fully streamlined battery trailer. Say 150kwh (based on that spec sheet, the trailer as battery only is 1950lbs, so double it it's still under 4k and well inside the towing ability of R1T or R1S.

Now all you need is the Rivian to be able to be charged while under way and BOOM - you effectively have a range extender. Yes, you can have the idea, just make it happen.

Let me reiterate the idea - towing an ultra streamlined 150kWh battery pack that could charge the Rivian while under way - extending its range by several hundred miles.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Yeah but it’s not really a good comparison versus an unmanaged array of batteries with a basic BMS. We know that lithium ion batteries cannot accept the same voltage and current when cold and that it’s absolutely detrimental to their short/medium term performance to operate them as if they were warm. I’m not saying I wouldn’t pack a whole bunch of old LG car cells into the floor of my cargo trailer, but I also expect that this type of design will be a new opportunity for people to learn some shit they wish they didn’t have to know.
Not arguing with any of that, but I'm pretty certain that the Rivan, or most other EV's won't accept more voltage, amperage, electrons or whatever than it wants. The onboard chargers manage what's available and balances that with what it actually accepts. Thus, just because a charger puts out 400 amps or 350 wh, doesn't mean its forcing that much down the truck's throat so to speak. More like, putting it on offer for the truck to take as a much as it so chooses. In simple terms at least, that's the way I understand it. You'll get better results from your charging session if the battery is pre-conditioned, but I don't think your hurting the battery if it's not. The truck will simply say, "no thank you", and accept what it can handle (or almost any other EV) and charge at a slower rate. Often times the rate, kw accepted or volts accepted will increase during the charging session as the battery gets up to temperature. Likewise, it slows down when it gets too hot.

It's all well beyond my true knowledge capability as I don't understand the science of batteries. I admit knowing what I don't know. Thought I knew this much at least, but possibly I'm not accurate. But I'm pretty certain, EV's onboard chargers manage themselves pretty well.

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
Not arguing with any of that, but I'm pretty certain that the Rivan, or most other EV's won't accept more voltage, amperage, electrons or whatever than it wants. The onboard chargers manage what's available and balances that with what it actually accepts. Thus, just because a charger puts out 400 amps or 350 wh, doesn't mean its forcing that much down the truck's throat so to speak. More like, putting it on offer for the truck to take as a much as it so chooses. In simple terms at least, that's the way I understand it. You'll get better results from your charging session if the battery is pre-conditioned, but I don't think your hurting the battery if it's not. The truck will simply say, "no thank you", and accept what it can handle (or almost any other EV) and charge at a slower rate. Often times the rate, kw accepted or volts accepted will increase during the charging session as the battery gets up to temperature. Likewise, it slows down when it gets too hot.

It's all well beyond my true knowledge capability as I don't understand the science of batteries. I admit knowing what I don't know. Thought I knew this much at least, but possibly I'm not accurate. But I'm pretty certain, EV's onboard chargers manage themselves pretty well.
I’m talking about the batteries in the camper.

Sponsored

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I’m talking about the batteries in the camper.
Ahh. Yeah, who knows what type of system they'll have in that thing? Pre-mature probably to debate. Possibly, being that it will effectively be an EV vehicle. they'll have a management system integrated in?

If not, then I guess it will be like charging the biggest cell phone ever! Plug it whenever you need to.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

That price just isn't going to cut it.

OP
OP
Pixelshot

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
Showing my age here, but I'm at the point when getting up a couple times at night is the usual (guys, if you're not there yet, you will be). Neither of the two talked up here will do it for me. If I want to go small and light, the HC1 Studio is where I would start ( HC1 Studio - Happier Camper ). If I want more flexibility, space for the dogs (not in the truck at night), probably the Escape 17B - Escape Trailer with the composting toilet option.
Great suggestions! I'll have to contact them to see if they'll let me take a trailer out. Thanks.

OP
OP
Pixelshot

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
This got me thinking. It's too bad the Rivian software automatically assumes half the range when towing.

Several tests have proven it's not the weight as much as the aerodynamics of the trailer. That being said, imagine dropping all of the "ammenities" of the trailer, and towing a fully streamlined battery trailer. Say 150kwh (based on that spec sheet, the trailer as battery only is 1950lbs, so double it it's still under 4k and well inside the towing ability of R1T or R1S.

Now all you need is the Rivian to be able to be charged while under way and BOOM - you effectively have a range extender. Yes, you can have the idea, just make it happen.

Let me reiterate the idea - towing an ultra streamlined 150kWh battery pack that could charge the Rivian while under way - extending its range by several hundred miles.
That would be sweet. Even if you had something that you could plug in at any pit stop (whether or not there was a fast charger).

Sponsored

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
That would be sweet. Even if you had something that you could plug in at any pit stop (whether or not there was a fast charger).

100% agree. While under way would be cool, I'd be ok with taking a 30min stop out in the middle of nowhere to stretch and charge.

I'd love to see some tests done on how a streamlined low profile (read less height/width than the R1T/R1S) truly effects range. Out of spec did several tests that showed it was much more about wind resistance than weight for range impact.

babyrocket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Great suggestions! I'll have to contact them to see if they'll let me take a trailer out. Thanks.
Another good candidate for towing behind an EV is the Alto by Safari Condo. Their R series is a teardrop with retractable roof, and their A series was designed to minimize drag with EVs in mind. Made of aircraft aluminum, they are very lightweight. They rent them here in Durango, CO.

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
You lost me at $65k for a teardrop o_O. Agreed that the regen charging and much larger battery (in the works as mentioned) needs to happen before I'd even think about it. I'll take a tent and the stars for now (or just sleeping in the bed as I most often do in my Tundra).

babyrocket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
That’s Canadian - still pretty expensive but very well made unlike 98% of the shoddy RVs on the market.