First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
So, I've been on a hunt for a good trailer solution for a family. This one came to my attention and it is actually pretty sweet. Not cheap (at $65k) but the concept of electrification is interesting. The trailer carries 12kWh of juice (when fully charged) and can offload that to the truck at 9kW, meaning you're carrying a level 2 charger with you. I talked to them about it for a while. It's a very sturdy and comfortable "teardrop" style trailer which seems pretty cozy even without considering the electrical benefits.

As an R1T owner, though, I have to say I think I'd prefer that the battery in the trailer is used for propulsion but this "jerry can" approach does have its merits. In concept, one could keep going indefinitely by charging on solar and then dumping that juice to the truck for another 12kWh per sunny day. Wouldn't be able to go far on that, but could work.

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I’d look at Colorado Tear drops for there similar solution. It has a much larger battery and a faster transfer solution at a similar price point.

https://coloradoteardrops.com/ev/

OP
OP
Pixelshot

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
I’d look at Colorado Tear drops for there similar solution. It has a much larger battery and a faster transfer solution at a similar price point.

Thanks. Yeah, I was hoping to get a test drive in that as well since they are just up the street from me. Also, I've been looking at the MDC USA Superlite which doesn't have a battery, but is lower profile and would sleep 4.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

Some nice features in here on the Battery side. Supports CCS as well as J1772 in both directions. 75 kWh battery, can be used to charge vehicle or setup as home backup power.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
The Airstream seems to be the best possible solution till the EVs offer mobile V2X which would require a charge port in the rear to connect to the trailer while in motion.

Rather than expensive bespoke trailers, I'd like to retrofit an electric regen and drive system to an existing trailer.

I have to imagine there's more than a few "electric axle" products under development (Mahle, Magna, and startups.) The idea would be a hub motor (the electric motor is in the wheel assembly, not requiring a drive train assembly under the trailer) to drive, steer and regen. Batteries could be placed "anywhere" to fit into available cavities in the frame or in the body of the trailer, balancing out weight distribution and avoiding over-stressing the trailer frame with one large battery.

When unhitched, the trailer could move itself using differential drive at the wheels to steer. When hitched at low speed, the trailer could assist for traction or to counteract jackknifing, etc. When towing, the trailer would steer to counteract trailer sway. Obviously when braking or accelerating, the trailer would assist with regen or drive. An app would allow the driver to remotely control the trailer functions and settings, a conventional trailer brake controller circuit would signal the trailer to set gain and assist with braking. When the trailer battery is full or regen is limited (ambient temperature or battery condition) conventional friction brakes would be applied. When stationary, the trailer would serve as a power source or emergency generator.

It seems to me for every type of trailering with sufficient annual miles would justify the initial purchase cost by recouping fuel costs from high mpg. EV trailering would benefit from potentially greater range while towing than the vehicle achieves when unladen!

Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

So, I've been on a hunt for a good trailer solution for a family. This one came to my attention and it is actually pretty sweet. Not cheap (at $65k) but the concept of electrification is interesting. The trailer carries 12kWh of juice (when fully charged) and can offload that to the truck at 9kW, meaning you're carrying a level 2 charger with you. I talked to them about it for a while. It's a very sturdy and comfortable "teardrop" style trailer which seems pretty cozy even without considering the electrical benefits.

As an R1T owner, though, I have to say I think I'd prefer that the battery in the trailer is used for propulsion but this "jerry can" approach does have its merits. In concept, one could keep going indefinitely by charging on solar and then dumping that juice to the truck for another 12kWh per sunny day. Wouldn't be able to go far on that, but could work.

Pixelshot: Your videos are an asset to the community. Keep up the great work.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Some nice features in here on the Battery side. Supports CCS as well as J1772 in both directions. 75 kWh battery, can be used to charge vehicle or setup as home backup power.
Was going to say, the OP's product got hi-jacked immediately with a competitive product. Didn't really read your post, but did check out the link. See that it has a 75 kwh battery, WOW, WOW, WOW. For around $50,000, that's not bad. I was thinking of buying a Ford Lightning, not as a truck, but as a generator / backup power source for the house. This thing, while more expensive than what the Ford Truck will be when considering just price per kwh, does offer some different utility. That's a huge battery. The NS-1 they said was only 12 kWh and it's $65,000. Just for the battery alone, this one is worth it. And you can take it with you on a long trip if you are going somewhere you know there won't be chargers. Don't know if it offers it, but would nice if it had some type of regen braking, thus could charge itself while being towed. If so, between that and some solar panels, you'd be able to go a pretty long way without having to plug in. Had no desire for a camping trailer, but this one has me thinking about. Even if I never camped a day in it, could still get some really good use out of it.

Paradigm_Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Audi RS5, and a few more
Occupation
Architect
Clubs

Um.....I only see cartoony renderings.... I'd want to know more about the company's viability and wait until I see at least an actual prototype before considering. The OP at least shows an actual production model.

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Um.....I only see cartoony renderings.... I'd want to know more about the company's viability and wait until I see at least an actual prototype before considering. The OP at least shows an actual production model.
I’m not sure what you’re getting at. I wasn’t saying anything negative about the trailer OP was posting about just pointing out another similar option from an established company that might offer some different options: more battery capacity, faster transfer of energy and lower price.

Soupdc

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 GMC Yukon
Clubs

What rack do you have on your crossbars over your bed? I have been looking to find one that works

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
I foresee battery conditioning being an unaddressed complication in these systems. Good luck keeping your batteries in good shape while pulling 9kwh when it’s cold. Either way it’s still a good use of space especially on a vehicle that doesn’t seem to care about weight when towing. I think I’d be better off putting a false floor in my cargo trailer and stuffing it with batteries and an inverter.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I foresee battery conditioning being an unaddressed complication in these systems. Good luck keeping your batteries in good shape while pulling 9kwh when it’s cold. Either way it’s still a good use of space especially on a vehicle that doesn’t seem to care about weight when towing. I think I’d be better off putting a false floor in my cargo trailer and stuffing it with batteries and an inverter.
I think way too many people needlessly worry about battery life. Batteries have a shelf life anyway. Thus, no matter how well you treat them, they'll still go bad just due to time. My dad charged his Tesla to 100% every day for 3 years. I owned the same car and charged to 90%. His car had more range (less degradation) than mine did over that 3 year period. Could have just been by chance. Too small of a sample size. There's some argument to charging cycles. Some say it's based on 100% charge. Other's say is the number of charge sessions period. Most batteries have an estimated maximum number of charge cycles. Point being, in 8-10 years, certainly 12 years, the batteries will be pushing their shelf life anyway. Worrying about charging to 70% or 100%, preheating the battery or not, I think "probably" will have minimal long term impacts on batteries that have a shelf life anyway. No matter what you do, it's going to go bad eventually. Maybe you have 220 miles in range in 8 years instead of 230 miles because you charged to 100% instead of 70%. Does it really matter? Is it worth the inconvenience of having to charge more times for 8 years?

I don't really know the right answer. Can only speak based on my small sample sizes with multiple Tesla's over the years. Haven't been able to measurable tell any difference. The Truck (and most EV's) control how they accept charging anyway. So, certainly don't think pre-conditioning will have any impact on battery life. It will impact how fast the truck charges, because it cuts down the charge rate if the battery temps aren't where the vehicle prefers them to be. For me, I don't worry much about it. Have always charged to 90% in the Tesla's. Been charging to 85% in the Rivian, but thinking of switching it to 100% to reduce the number of times I have to charge. I noticed that Rivian delivered the truck to my house with 100% charge, not 70%. Tesla always delivered at 80 to 90%.

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
I think way too many people needlessly worry about battery life. Batteries have a shelf life anyway. Thus, no matter how well you treat them, they'll still go bad just due to time. My dad charged his Tesla to 100% every day for 3 years. I owned the same car and charged to 90%. His car had more range (less degradation) than mine did over that 3 year period. Could have just been by chance. Too small of a sample size. There's some argument to charging cycles. Some say it's based on 100% charge. Other's say is the number of charge sessions period. Most batteries have an estimated maximum number of charge cycles. Point being, in 8-10 years, certainly 12 years, the batteries will be pushing their shelf life anyway. Worrying about charging to 70% or 100%, preheating the battery or not, I think "probably" will have minimal long term impacts on batteries that have a shelf life anyway. No matter what you do, it's going to go bad eventually. Maybe you have 220 miles in range in 8 years instead of 230 miles because you charged to 100% instead of 70%. Does it really matter? Is it worth the inconvenience of having to charge more times for 8 years?

I don't really know the right answer. Can only speak based on my small sample sizes with multiple Tesla's over the years. Haven't been able to measurable tell any difference. The Truck (and most EV's) control how they accept charging anyway. So, certainly don't think pre-conditioning will have any impact on battery life. It will impact how fast the truck charges, because it cuts down the charge rate if the battery temps aren't where the vehicle prefers them to be. For me, I don't worry much about it. Have always charged to 90% in the Tesla's. Been charging to 85% in the Rivian, but thinking of switching it to 100% to reduce the number of times I have to charge. I noticed that Rivian delivered the truck to my house with 100% charge, not 70%. Tesla always delivered at 80 to 90%.
Yeah but it’s not really a good comparison versus an unmanaged array of batteries with a basic BMS. We know that lithium ion batteries cannot accept the same voltage and current when cold and that it’s absolutely detrimental to their short/medium term performance to operate them as if they were warm. I’m not saying I wouldn’t pack a whole bunch of old LG car cells into the floor of my cargo trailer, but I also expect that this type of design will be a new opportunity for people to learn some shit they wish they didn’t have to know.
Sponsored