First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
That pays for a lot of hotel rooms. Efficiency must SUCK. PAYLOAD Probably also over the limit when you include two passengers (which count towards total payload).

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Believe me, I went down many rabbit holes before the truck was released in terms of a slide in. I then got the truck, looked at the manual, looked at the load sticker, did some math, and decided that even if I wanted to possibly void the warranty, the load math did not work.
Page 204 of the December manual:
Rivian R1T R1S Campluxe Cabover for Rivian R1T 1675049143097

My sticker (22" wheels, full size spare, underbody shield):
Rivian R1T R1S Campluxe Cabover for Rivian R1T 1675049272516

There is no way to make the load math work with a slide in...passengers, clothes, food, water...

Roof-top tent, tow, or traditional tent camping are the alternatives.

Just to save you some time :)

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

There are cabover pop-up slide-in campers that weigh under 500 lbs. This one looks more substantial than those, but if it's even 800-900 pounds, that still leaves enough for two to three people.

Sponsored

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
There are cabover pop-up slide-in campers that weigh under 500 lbs. This one looks more substantial than those, but if it's even 800-900 pounds, that still leaves enough for two to three people.
The old backpacking thing...weigh everything. In my case, 2 people, 2 serious dogs (see my avatar), water (heavier than you might think), food, clothes, cookware, camp stove, bed stuff, dog stuff. Let's just say, I could never make the math work...and there's the manual saying not to....center of gravity and weight issues, no doubt. If Rivian approves one, OK, but then try to make the weight numbers work. The Scout Yolo YOHO - Scout Campers was about the lightest at the time I was looking, but when I saw my load sticker, game over.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

$40,000 is more reasonably priced than any of the other camper options I've seen. But, I'd still rather get a 16-20 foot tag along trailer that weighs around 4,000 lbs and has 16-20 feet of space versus this thing at just 7 feet of space (if that) and for around $20,000 instead. Much easier to hook up a trailer than a camper. Plus, when you get to your destination, easy to unhook and have your truck available for use, thus saving you from having to pack up everything if you need to go somewhere.

And with any travel trailer, you get a bathroom with a shower. A true RV for less money and far more utility.

Campers are just so pricey for a lot less utility.

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
That is a lot of money for a tiny camper. I drive a Tacoma and I can’t imagine there being enough room to sleep in that thing even with the cab over section, let alone do anything else in there. I have a feeling that’s why they didn’t have even 1 photo of the inside.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Huge gap between the cabover and the roof strictly because of the shark fin antenna. Not a great solution but looks better than some of the other roof gaps they show.

Bet taking the tailgate out saves quite a bit of weight.

Looks like it wasn't actually designed for the R1T based on their website. Guessing it's overweight.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

That is a lot of money for a tiny camper. I drive a Tacoma and I can’t imagine there being enough room to sleep in that thing even with the cab over section, let alone do anything else in there. I have a feeling that’s why they didn’t have even 1 photo of the inside.
Happened to see this on their instagram. I believe they only have a singular design based on their photos. Doesn't look too bad but I'm still going to stick with the RTT. I don't see accommodation for the Rivian's bed accessories.

A reply on an older post:
Rivian R1T R1S Campluxe Cabover for Rivian R1T 1675088481611

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Happened to see this on their instagram. I believe they only have a singular design based on their photos. Doesn't look too bad but I'm still going to stick with the RTT. I don't see accommodation for the Rivian's bed accessories.

A reply on an older post:
1675088481611.png
That is about as good as one could expect for such a small space. With the trade off of function/weight/ price I agree the RTT offers 80% of the function for 1/10 the price and less weight.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

That is about as good as one could expect for such a small space. With the trade off of function/weight/ price I agree the RTT offers 80% of the function for 1/10 the price and less weight.
Anything over 900 lbs means even without any gear, clothing, etc, my family is already dangerously close to tipping the scale on the payload numbers for my truck. Target weight for a cabover should be closer to 500-600 lbs IMO. At 1100 lbs, we're talking just myself and no gear to stay under the payload.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Anything over 900 lbs means even without any gear, clothing, etc, my family is already dangerously close to tipping the scale on the payload numbers for my truck. Target weight for a cabover should be closer to 500-600 lbs IMO. At 1100 lbs, we're talking just myself and no gear to stay under the payload.
Sounds like a good excuse for a solo excursion?🤷🏼‍♂️

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I think any cabover that weighs less than 500lbs wouldn’t be a slide in but rather a shell, at least I would be surprised if you could build a slide-in that light.

For example I am talking a GFC, 4-Wheel Project M, Super Pacific, etc you can save a lot of weight when you reuse the truck bed floor, tailgate etc and most of those coming around 400-500lbs.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Sounds like a good excuse for a solo excursion?🤷🏼‍♂️
I'm just hoping that Rivian actually comes out with something that's better suited for vanlife than the R1S. If the RCV is only FWD (which so far, it is) it's a nonstarter for me.

*Edit: They do mention optional AWD in the literature now and I don't recall seeing that before.
Performance
Double-wishbone front suspension and twist beam with trailing arm rear suspension provide damping and maneuverability, with optional all-wheel drive for snow, rain and ice. A 54.8-foot curb-to-curb turning radius enables navigation through tight urban spaces.
Sponsored