First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
Hey all - just a quick report on a camping trip from over the weekend. We went to a campground near Aspen, CO called Difficult Campground (https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/231880) and stayed for 3 nights. We had some friends along, and we ate in town a few times, so the food prep wasn't too heavy of a lift, but we still did have dinner and breakfast at camp a few times. To keep the food cold we used a combo of coolers - an electric Dometic fridge/freezer (25 quarts - model #DC-25t - don't think it is sold any more) that fit perfectly under the tonneau cover

Rivian R1T R1S Camping Trip Report – Some of Our Favorite Gear For R1T 1655341839403

and a Dometic ice chest (https://tinyurl.com/57tmcd2z) which is nice but turned out to be too small.
Rivian R1T R1S Camping Trip Report – Some of Our Favorite Gear For R1T 1655341797913

We also had a little 12 volt cooler in the Gear Tunnel to grab drinks from while driving. (https://www.amazon.com/RoadPro-12-Vol...). We put it on it's back so that it opened like an ice chest.
Rivian R1T R1S Camping Trip Report – Some of Our Favorite Gear For R1T 1655341870011

We brought four bikes (and no we didn't use them all - shocker) and we had a borrowed bike rack using a great folding arm called the Kuat Pivot to allow for swingout (like this one: https://www.kuat.com/product/pivot-2/).
Rivian R1T R1S Camping Trip Report – Some of Our Favorite Gear For R1T 1655341968801

To fit everything in I tried out a new Yakima cage (the Mega Warrior- https://www.rei.com/product/670321/ya...) which was crucial. I kept the tent and the bunk beds up there so we could grab them quickly if we arrived at dark (which we did). And in the cage we added the Roam Adventure Co 95 L Rugged Case (https://www.roamadventureco.com/colle...). It fit perfectly in the Yakima cage (although it does NOT fit sideways - but VERY close), but you can't open the clasps when it's in the cage unless you are able to scoot it back a few inches. This means you'd have to pack accordingly so you can move it around a bit if you need to open it before dismounting it.

Here's a photo of both together. Note that you COULD put it on the top of the cab as well, if you''re willing to take the aero hit.
Rivian R1T R1S Camping Trip Report – Some of Our Favorite Gear For R1T 1655342179192

Rivian R1T R1S Camping Trip Report – Some of Our Favorite Gear For R1T 1655342237555

Here's a video report of the gear. Stick around to the end because we have some drone footage that shows off the truck and the landscape pretty well. Also, there's a time-lapse of me packing at the end so you can see how it all fit:

Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pixelshot

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
One user on YouTube asked if the Dometic fridge can be used in the frunk. Answer, yes, but it doesn't sit flat:
Rivian R1T R1S Camping Trip Report – Some of Our Favorite Gear For R1T 1655347153666

Also, you'd have to have the 12v adapter, which does exist but I didn't have with us. Never mind closing it off in a mostly-air-tight space. Not sure if it can function well like that.

OP
OP
Pixelshot

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
Great video. Man, you take a lot of stuff.
The bunk beds take up a lot of space and weight, and we would have been fine with only one cooler. And, as per usual, half of that stuff didn't get used. It'll take a while to fine tune.

chrismc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
Can you share some more on the Kuat Pivot and bike rack? Can you fully open the tailgate with the rack installed and loaded with bikes without anything colliding? More pics of the setup please if you have them! I caught your video on YouTube the other day but it looked like you had the rack removed from the Pivot when the tailgate was open.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Pixelshot

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
Can you share some more on the Kuat Pivot and bike rack? Can you fully open the tailgate with the rack installed and loaded with bikes without anything colliding? More pics of the setup please if you have them! I caught your video on YouTube the other day but it looked like you had the rack removed from the Pivot when the tailgate was open.
The rack was removed from the pivot for recording. I'll reload them and take some photos. The answer is that you can't fully open the tail gate while the rack is on and closed. However, with the Kuat, the rack will pivot out of the way and the tail gate can be used as normal. It's pretty sweet. The main down side is that the Kuat pushes the rack back about 8-10 inches (making the truck longer) and it's pretty heavy. The up side is that it is a nice place to step up to get on the tail gate.

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited, 2012 Honda CR-V
The bunk beds take up a lot of space and weight, and we would have been fine with only one cooler. And, as per usual, half of that stuff didn't get used. It'll take a while to fine tune.
I am big fan of 3"-4" self inflatable foam pads. It's almost as comfortable as memory foam mattress at home and still compress quite a bit. Pretty sure you can fit two double size pads in the gear tunnel. Also it provides a good insulator compared to just inflatable air pads.

Great video btw 👍🏾

OP
OP
Pixelshot

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
I am big fan of 3"-4" self inflatable foam pads. It's almost as comfortable as memory foam mattress at home and still compress quite a bit. Pretty sure you can fit two double size pads in the gear tunnel. Also it provides a good insulator compared to just inflatable air pads.

Great video btw 👍🏾
Thanks!

Do you have a specific brand/model of foam pad you would recommend? We have a basic 4 inch air mattress and it was a pretty bad night's sleep. We wanted a topper of some kind.

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited, 2012 Honda CR-V
Thanks!

Do you have a specific brand/model of foam pad you would recommend? We have a basic 4 inch air mattress and it was a pretty bad night's sleep. We wanted a topper of some kind.
The last one I got 4 years ago looks like now out of business. These are some Chinese white label items so brand name really doesn’t matter. This is the one I just got. Yet to try for camping but tried at home and feels pretty good.

https://a.co/cTcgaCE

The one I got last time, and used for many car camping trips, looks something like this. This is little more dense foam and you may find it more comfortable.
https://a.co/1dRqCeN

My suggestion would be to try both and see if you like this type of mattresses as well as which foam density you like the most.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pixelshot

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
The last one I got 4 years ago looks like now out of business. These are some Chinese white label items so brand name really doesn’t matter. This is the one I just got. Yet to try for camping but tried at home and feels pretty good.

https://a.co/cTcgaCE

The one I got last time, and used for many car camping trips, looks something like this. This is little more dense foam and you may find it more comfortable.
https://a.co/1dRqCeN

My suggestion would be to try both and see if you like this type of mattresses as well as which foam density you like the most.
Thanks! I'll try them for sure. My hips will thank you as well.

Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

@Pixelshot Randomly caught your video last night while browsing the Tube. Great job documenting everything btw.

I have a T on order and the fact I'd likely have to get rid of my Kuat rack in order to access the tail gate was a lame proposition. That said, I had no idea they made a swing out arm! I'll definitely pick one of those up when I take delivery.

Also, given that you and your family have 4 bikes, you should look into the Kuat NV 2.0 and the 2 bike add on for it. that would allow you to carry all 4 bikes via the trailer hitch rather than randomly stored throughout the truck.

Cheers man, and keep posting!

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

Thanks for sharing, I always appreciate your content. I am looking at the Kuat pivot. I just bought Kuat NV base 2.0 + 2 bike add on, total 4-bike carrier. I ordered through REI during Memorial Day sale. My 4 e-bikes for family of 4 just about max out the weight rating of the carrier, and total tongue weight is right at the limit on my wife's model y. I just picked up and assembled all last weekend, test run to the beach this weekend. If the rack does well I'll probably order the pivot to not only add great flexibility to the rig, but also to provide a bit of clearance so the rack will work around the spare tire on my Jeep wrangler, and to of course work well with the R1S which we're now expecting from Santa this year...

OP
OP
Pixelshot

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
@Pixelshot Randomly caught your video last night while browsing the Tube. Great job documenting everything btw.

I have a T on order and the fact I'd likely have to get rid of my Kuat rack in order to access the tail gate was a lame proposition. That said, I had no idea they made a swing out arm! I'll definitely pick one of those up when I take delivery.

Also, given that you and your family have 4 bikes, you should look into the Kuat NV 2.0 and the 2 bike add on for it. that would allow you to carry all 4 bikes via the trailer hitch rather than randomly stored throughout the truck.

Cheers man, and keep posting!
Thanks - nice tip! Yeah, I want to re-distribute the bikes with two goals in mind: keep them all in one easy place; still have access to tailgate. So, that combo may work!

And, thanks for watching the vid and your kind works. I'm planning more videos just about bikes and the Rivian so stay tuned to the Tube!

OP
OP
Pixelshot

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
Thanks for sharing, I always appreciate your content. I am looking at the Kuat pivot. I just bought Kuat NV base 2.0 + 2 bike add on, total 4-bike carrier. I ordered through REI during Memorial Day sale. My 4 e-bikes for family of 4 just about max out the weight rating of the carrier, and total tongue weight is right at the limit on my wife's model y. I just picked up and assembled all last weekend, test run to the beach this weekend. If the rack does well I'll probably order the pivot to not only add great flexibility to the rig, but also to provide a bit of clearance so the rack will work around the spare tire on my Jeep wrangler, and to of course work well with the R1S which we're now expecting from Santa this year...
Cool! Keep us posted. Note that the Pivot is pretty heavy (35 pounds or so) so may exceed your tongue weight.

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

Cool! Keep us posted. Note that the Pivot is pretty heavy (35 pounds or so) so may exceed your tongue weight.
yeah, I'm already pushing the limit with ebikes and this massive bike rack. I'll try it out and take some pics, and if all goes well I'll order the Pivot and report back on how it does.
Sponsored