Sponsored

Taco Corp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

Thanks!

Do you have a specific brand/model of foam pad you would recommend? We have a basic 4 inch air mattress and it was a pretty bad night's sleep. We wanted a topper of some kind.
I use this exped megamat duo for all of our car camping. Fits in the tent nicely, sleeps two and the dog if needed and it's super comfy. Have slept on this summer through the middle of winter snow camping and no complaints. Would suggest getting a powered inflator to expedite setup but the hand pump it comes with also works well

It will fit in the gear tunnel if you really compress it but otherwise fits in the frunk.
Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Great video. Man, you take a lot of stuff.
I was actually impressed that for a family of 4 you don't seem to overpack as much as I would have expected.

The beauty and the curse of the R1T is there is so much storage it gives the overpacker way too many opportunities to overpack!

kipevans22

First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Hey all - just a quick report on a camping trip from over the weekend. We went to a campground near Aspen, CO called Difficult Campground (https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/231880) and stayed for 3 nights. We had some friends along, and we ate in town a few times, so the food prep wasn't too heavy of a lift, but we still did have dinner and breakfast at camp a few times. To keep the food cold we used a combo of coolers - an electric Dometic fridge/freezer (25 quarts - model #DC-25t - don't think it is sold any more) that fit perfectly under the tonneau cover

1655341839403.png

and a Dometic ice chest (https://tinyurl.com/57tmcd2z) which is nice but turned out to be too small.
1655341797913.png

We also had a little 12 volt cooler in the Gear Tunnel to grab drinks from while driving. (https://www.amazon.com/RoadPro-12-Vol...). We put it on it's back so that it opened like an ice chest.
1655341870011.png

We brought four bikes (and no we didn't use them all - shocker) and we had a borrowed bike rack using a great folding arm called the Kuat Pivot to allow for swingout (like this one: https://www.kuat.com/product/pivot-2/).
1655341968801.png

To fit everything in I tried out a new Yakima cage (the Mega Warrior- https://www.rei.com/product/670321/ya...) which was crucial. I kept the tent and the bunk beds up there so we could grab them quickly if we arrived at dark (which we did). And in the cage we added the Roam Adventure Co 95 L Rugged Case (https://www.roamadventureco.com/colle...). It fit perfectly in the Yakima cage (although it does NOT fit sideways - but VERY close), but you can't open the clasps when it's in the cage unless you are able to scoot it back a few inches. This means you'd have to pack accordingly so you can move it around a bit if you need to open it before dismounting it.

Here's a photo of both together. Note that you COULD put it on the top of the cab as well, if you''re willing to take the aero hit.
1655342179192.png

1655342237555.png

Here's a video report of the gear. Stick around to the end because we have some drone footage that shows off the truck and the landscape pretty well. Also, there's a time-lapse of me packing at the end so you can see how it all fit:

Hey all - just a quick report on a camping trip from over the weekend. We went to a campground near Aspen, CO called Difficult Campground (https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/231880) and stayed for 3 nights. We had some friends along, and we ate in town a few times, so the food prep wasn't too heavy of a lift, but we still did have dinner and breakfast at camp a few times. To keep the food cold we used a combo of coolers - an electric Dometic fridge/freezer (25 quarts - model #DC-25t - don't think it is sold any more) that fit perfectly under the tonneau cover

1655341839403.png

and a Dometic ice chest (https://tinyurl.com/57tmcd2z) which is nice but turned out to be too small.
1655341797913.png

We also had a little 12 volt cooler in the Gear Tunnel to grab drinks from while driving. (https://www.amazon.com/RoadPro-12-Vol...). We put it on it's back so that it opened like an ice chest.
1655341870011.png

We brought four bikes (and no we didn't use them all - shocker) and we had a borrowed bike rack using a great folding arm called the Kuat Pivot to allow for swingout (like this one: https://www.kuat.com/product/pivot-2/).
1655341968801.png

To fit everything in I tried out a new Yakima cage (the Mega Warrior- https://www.rei.com/product/670321/ya...) which was crucial. I kept the tent and the bunk beds up there so we could grab them quickly if we arrived at dark (which we did). And in the cage we added the Roam Adventure Co 95 L Rugged Case (https://www.roamadventureco.com/colle...). It fit perfectly in the Yakima cage (although it does NOT fit sideways - but VERY close), but you can't open the clasps when it's in the cage unless you are able to scoot it back a few inches. This means you'd have to pack accordingly so you can move it around a bit if you need to open it before dismounting it.

Here's a photo of both together. Note that you COULD put it on the top of the cab as well, if you''re willing to take the aero hit.
1655342179192.png

1655342237555.png

Here's a video report of the gear. Stick around to the end because we have some drone footage that shows off the truck and the landscape pretty well. Also, there's a time-lapse of me packing at the end so you can see how it all fit:

Awesome video! Thank you for sharing all these great ideas. I especially love the tunnel fridge and the storage box. For biking I have a tailgate pad and hitch rack that does a pretty good job. When towing I only use the pad, but the cross-bar rack look very interesting. Did it create much drag? A big plus is being able to close the bed cover.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Well done man. Any dad or gear manager can empathize with the amount of work it takes to pack for a camping trip with family, which tends to be exhausting. Moreso for car camping as you can bring real food & bev, comforts, recreation, sports gear, games, gadgets, and too much crap. Backcountry at least provides an excuse or allows you to load other's packs down.

My family dubbed me the donkey, either from carrying all their junk, or cause I'm a jackass, not sure.

Will definitely check out the Kuat Pivot, thanks. Aspen is spectacular, largely for its backcountry and mountains, not the two-legged wildlife.

Sponsored

chrismc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
I was actually impressed that for a family of 4 you don't seem to overpack as much as I would have expected.

The beauty and the curse of the R1T is there is so much storage it gives the overpacker way too many opportunities to overpack!
You’d be amazed at how fast the space disappears with 2 adults, 2 kids, and a dog. I just bought a Yakima Skybox for the roof of my R1T based on the trips I’ve taken so far.

Alchemy8279

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Mazda MX-5
Occupation
Middle Management
I have the MegaM
I use this exped megamat duo for all of our car camping. Fits in the tent nicely, sleeps two and the dog if needed and it's super comfy. Have slept on this summer through the middle of winter snow camping and no complaints. Would suggest getting a powered inflator to expedite setup but the hand pump it comes with also works well

It will fit in the gear tunnel if you really compress it but otherwise fits in the frunk.
Second on the MegaMat by Exped. It is like sleeping at home.

Alchemy8279

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Mazda MX-5
Occupation
Middle Management
You should always run the Dometic on
One user on YouTube asked if the Dometic fridge can be used in the frunk. Answer, yes, but it doesn't sit flat:
1655347153666.png

Also, you'd have to have the 12v adapter, which does exist but I didn't have with us. Never mind closing it off in a mostly-air-tight space. Not sure if it can function well like that.
You should run the Dometic on 12V whenever possible. It is a 12V system and uses much less energy when run from 12V. Get a Yeti Solar generator and you can move it out of the truck and keep it running when camp is set up.

OP
OP
Pixelshot

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
Awesome video! Thank you for sharing all these great ideas. I especially love the tunnel fridge and the storage box. For biking I have a tailgate pad and hitch rack that does a pretty good job. When towing I only use the pad, but the cross-bar rack look very interesting. Did it create much drag? A big plus is being able to close the bed cover.
Thanks for the kind words! I didn't notice any drag (or even excess wind noise). I don't think any of the gear impacted the range much. I was careful to keep the items from protruding past the profile of the truck (except the bike standing up) and I think that helped.

OP
OP
Pixelshot

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
You should always run the Dometic on

You should run the Dometic on 12V whenever possible. It is a 12V system and uses much less energy when run from 12V. Get a Yeti Solar generator and you can move it out of the truck and keep it running when camp is set up.
Good to know! I didn't know the 12v system would actually use less energy.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Pixelshot

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
You’d be amazed at how fast the space disappears with 2 adults, 2 kids, and a dog. I just bought a Yakima Skybox for the roof of my R1T based on the trips I’ve taken so far.
How has your experience been with the Skybox on the roof? Wind noise? Noticeable drag or range hit?

chrismc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
How has your experience been with the Skybox on the roof? Wind noise? Noticeable drag or range hit?
I haven’t had a chance to take it on a long trip yet (got rained out last weekend), but so far it is not super noticeable. Definitely some wind noise at highway speed but not obnoxious. I don’t have numbers on it yet to compare but I’m super curious as well.

The Skybox Carbonite series is the “slipperiest” of Yakima’s as far as aerodynamics- it has a golf ball simple texture that is said to help. Digging through some Tesla forums, people report a 5-10% hit on range at highway speeds and no hit at lower speeds, apparently less than bare skis in a traditional roof clamp rack. I’m expecting less of a hit on the larger less-efficient-to-start R1T.

One big caveat- the mounting hardware on the Skybox is incompatible with the Rivian crossbars (no matter what). I went through an awesome local dealer (Rack n Roar in North Seattle), and they found the clamps from the CBX series boxes work well and they swapped them for me from a crunched box they had salvaged. You could also swap to the Yakima T-slot brackets for the Skybox but it is a less elegant option.

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

Cool! Keep us posted. Note that the Pivot is pretty heavy (35 pounds or so) so may exceed your tongue weight.
Kuat for the win. I’m ordering the Pivot. This is right at the tongue weight limit for the Y, but will be just right when my R1S gets here.
Rivian R1T R1S Camping Trip Report – Some of Our Favorite Gear For R1T AAF5CAD1-402A-4155-B291-ACD02A9A1A6D
Rivian R1T R1S Camping Trip Report – Some of Our Favorite Gear For R1T 22702F7F-5C9D-4385-B95C-F36AAE95020E
Rivian R1T R1S Camping Trip Report – Some of Our Favorite Gear For R1T 19CBE05B-8FF9-4356-88BF-BBBE1AF8CE2A

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

Kuat for the win. I’m ordering the Pivot. This is right at the tongue weight limit for the Y, but will be just right when my R1S gets here.
AAF5CAD1-402A-4155-B291-ACD02A9A1A6D.jpeg
22702F7F-5C9D-4385-B95C-F36AAE95020E.jpeg
19CBE05B-8FF9-4356-88BF-BBBE1AF8CE2A.jpeg
by the way, this is way over the recommended vertical weight on the hitch receiver. If anyone ever does this be super careful. Not recommended for road use.

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
I have the Yakima Backswing and like it a lot (on my GX, still waiting on a R1S...).

FWIW, I read somewhere that the Kuat is a rebranded KakAttach. Thule had a Swing-Away but it seems like they aren't making that anymore (it's not on their site).
Sponsored