First Name
PoppyR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford
Occupation
Travel
I personally haven't tested them before but there are a lot of reviews on Google and on YouTube that worth checking out. https://wildproofgear.com/best-suv-tents/

I've been in a couple of Tepui campers before and I had no complaints with them.

Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

get the R1S sleep in the back?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
That’s silly, but… dryer vent hose+tape

Harvest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Rivian R1T Adventure Forest Green
Occupation
agriculture
I have an R1T ordered, and although I'm not sure yet how much camping we will do with it, my daughter and her partner are also looking at buying one and he really wants to camp with theirs. He would like to use something that is a truck bed camper like this Lance 650, but that short bed model has a dry weight of 1700 pounds which is right below the R1Ts 1760 pound payload, which would require a really tiny driver or no water! https://www.lancecamper.com/truck-campers/650/ to stay below 1760 lbs!

I have suggested to him a pull-type trailer would be better, since the Rivian has plenty of power, but he wants to go up mountain gravel roads. I've looked at some of the off-road trailers, but not sure any of the ones I've seen so far are what he would want. He would prefer a three-four season unit rather than a simple popup camper for warmer weather

Having said all this, my main reason for posting is to get other people's thoughts on the power aspects of the camper. Most campers (pull type and truck bed) currently rely on propane for heat, hot water, and stove burners. With a truck like Rivian, all that could be done by the truck's battery, saving fossil fuel use (depending on source of charging energy of course), but cutting into range a bit.

One advantage of the electric for a truck bed camper would be less weight from not having the propane tanks, though not a big difference - I think two five gallon propane tanks would weigh about 35 pounds. However, to me, I'd rather have electric for everything (preferably with solar panels on the camper roof to provide a little juice) and not have to worry about buying propane or running out of propane for heat in the middle of the night. What do other people think?

It will be interesting to see with all the electric pickups hitting the market in the next two years if camper manufacturers start to respond to that specific market. More aerodynamic campers would help as well.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I have an R1T ordered, and although I'm not sure yet how much camping we will do with it, my daughter and her partner are also looking at buying one and he really wants to camp with theirs. He would like to use something that is a truck bed camper like this Lance 650, but that short bed model has a dry weight of 1700 pounds which is right below the R1Ts 1760 pound payload, which would require a really tiny driver or no water! https://www.lancecamper.com/truck-campers/650/ to stay below 1760 lbs!

I have suggested to him a pull-type trailer would be better, since the Rivian has plenty of power, but he wants to go up mountain gravel roads. I've looked at some of the off-road trailers, but not sure any of the ones I've seen so far are what he would want. He would prefer a three-four season unit rather than a simple popup camper for warmer weather

Having said all this, my main reason for posting is to get other people's thoughts on the power aspects of the camper. Most campers (pull type and truck bed) currently rely on propane for heat, hot water, and stove burners. With a truck like Rivian, all that could be done by the truck's battery, saving fossil fuel use (depending on source of charging energy of course), but cutting into range a bit.

One advantage of the electric for a truck bed camper would be less weight from not having the propane tanks, though not a big difference - I think two five gallon propane tanks would weigh about 35 pounds. However, to me, I'd rather have electric for everything (preferably with solar panels on the camper roof to provide a little juice) and not have to worry about buying propane or running out of propane for heat in the middle of the night. What do other people think?

It will be interesting to see with all the electric pickups hitting the market in the next two years if camper manufacturers start to respond to that specific market. More aerodynamic campers would help as well.
im sure there will be companies making ones for the R1 and the new electric trucks and I'm curios what they can come up with. For me i would rather the tent and camp kitchen the camper looks like alot of weight high up that i wouldn't want getting back into the trails.
Sponsored