Sponsored

Camper for the R1T -- what can I safely and reasonably tow?

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
How much would you say I need?

The absolutely MAX at the limit would be about 1000lbs of tongue weight if I didn't want any buffers.

10% = 10,000lbs
15% = 6,666lbs

That's on the max side. If I wanted to be conservative and build in a 10-15% buffer that would be 5,666lb which seems too conservative, doesn't it?
12-15% has been the sweet spot in my experience.
Sponsored

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Going: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
I've towed our Apex 249RBS multiple times. ~4800 lbs unloaded, as-towed ~6000 lbs. That's right at the limit of what the R1T can tow without a weight-distribution hitch. *WITH* one, even heavier shouldn't be a problem.

It handled amazingly well - far better than our old diesel F-250. Still had plenty of power to spare. (And so much quieter doing so, we noticed all the rattles and creaks our trailer makes that the old diesel noise hid!)

But aerodynamics are a killer - any large trailer that's that big will kill your efficiency. We averaged 1 mi/kWh or less on our trips. And weight will matter more if you go up steep hills, killing efficiency even more.

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
What I was going to add, a WD hitch will change your calculations.

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
I’ve got an Airstream 23CB, it’s 4700lb dry so probably around 5500 loaded with a 650 lbs hitch weight. I know another member has a 25FB (6700/850) … the R1T pulls them no problem it’s just the range.
I'm planning to tow a 20FB (4200lbs dry, 5000 loaded, similar hitch weight). Wondering what your efficiency ratings have been like, and what speed you tow at.

Runs_4_beer

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, Audi Q7, F350
I'd recommend renting a trailer or two from sites like outdoorsy or similar in your area. I have towed a few times with the Rivian and it's a dream until you have to find a charger that fits a trailer. I could make longer trips work, but the F350 Diesel is paid for and looks good sitting in the driveway until I need it.

Sponsored

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I haven't gotten to take a trip yet, but have one planned for President's day weekend in late Feb. From what I've read 55 MPH yields much better range than 80 MPH, not overly concerned with the weight of trailer being well under the 11K tow rating. In general, the Airstream is much more aerodynamic when towing in my experience. I've got a friend with a similarly sized/weight Lance that I take trips with often, many times we've been setting up and he comments how bad the wind was on the trip and I never noticed it at all. We both have been pulling with similar Land Cruisers ..

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer

Sponsored

Sponsored