Sponsored

Camp Kitchen - Who's Getting It?

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I'm not sure why people think it is overpriced - it's easily the cheapest camp kitchen I've seen as any factory accessory on any pickup truck.
Can you please point me to some other pickup truck factory camp kitchens? Not trolling, genuinely curious as my impression before your post was that this offering from Rivian was quite unique. I hadn’t realized that other trucks had a similar option available from the factory.
Sponsored

njcoach24

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKC
As cool as the Camp Kitchen is, I have reservations...
  • $$$ As others have said, I could put my own kit together for much cheaper.
    • For induction? I'd have to shell a couple hundred maybe. Not thousands.
    • I already own camping stoves albeit, not electric. (propane or white gas)
      • I travel on my motorcycle with a Jetboil and set of small pans.
    • Plus, there is always good ol' campfire cooking.
  • Terrible use of storage space
    • As I said earlier, my base cook kit can fit on my motorcycle.
    • Of course, when cooking for groups my larger 2 burner stove takes up more space. But not a gear tunnel's worth!
    • Even a standalone induction is briefcase size.
  • Limited options when it comes to setting up/leaving camp
    • Just like Rooftop Tents, I don't like being tethered to the vehicle. Having options to move away from the vehicle is a must.
    • Does anyone want to pack up their tent or kitchen if they need to run to town real quick? What if we're in the middle of cooking and someone needs to run to town for beers?
    • Although I often camp close to my vehicle, I rarely pull my truck right up to the campfire. Certainly not when group camping.
I agree with all of these points. The camp kitchen is badass and would be awesome at a football game tailgate but for actual camping I'm not sure having your kitchen next to your car and tent is actually a good idea especially if you are camping where there are bears which is almost anywhere there are woods.

I have an MSR Pocket Rocket for coffee and MSR Whisperlite for cooking - both take up barley any space and I can store inside of my water kettle. Portable sinks that are collapsible are a good option. I also have a beautiful set of MSR pots/pans/cups that all store into the largest pot. Such a space saver. So I think I rather have the gear tunnel free for other things that I might use camping.

I do want the rooftop tent even through I have 2 ground tents. But I guess it makes sense when camping in groups not to be tethered to your car while everyone else is on the ground by the fire. However, if I am on a solo trip it would be awesome.

I feel I won't use either of those things enough where it warrants the extra 5K for the kitchen and possibly another 2K for the tent. I rather just have the cross bars and call it a day. Especially if the kitchen and tent are heavy and a pain to take on and off the truck, which RTT's typically are. 90% of my driving is to work or the grocery store during the week lol.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
Can you please point me to some other pickup truck factory camp kitchens? Not trolling, genuinely curious as my impression before your post was that this offering from Rivian was quite unique. I hadn’t realized that other trucks had a similar option available from the factory.
I think it is unique, it was meant to be a joke.

Sponsored

Chas60422

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru outback
Occupation
Healthcare
It looks like the camp kitchen sits on top of a sliding tray. I asked Rivian and they said the camp kitchen is light enough for one person to remove and put on. Im planning on buying the sliding tray or gear shuttle. Then I can put my propane stove and cooking gear on it. I can see the gear shuttle being useful to grab items in the middle of the tunnel so one doesn’t need to crawl in the tunnel to grab that stuff sack. I can see utilizing the gear shuttle everytime I open the gear tunnel

p3ck

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I was considering it but I think I would rather put that towards the bigger battery which this is half the cost of.

OP
OP
Blueassassin

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

If you’re preordering an R1T with a Camp Kitchen, the Snow Peak Kitchen Set is now included in your purchase price. The 30-piece, ultralight, durable set nests perfectly into the Camp Kitchen with custom inserts for pots, pans, plates, silverware, cups and cooking utensils for up to four people. If you’ve already selected a Camp Kitchen with your R1T preorder, the Snow Peak set will be automatically added to your Account. The Snow Peak Kitchen Set is included in the Camp Kitchen price for a limited time only. Visit our configurator to learn more.

Rivian R1T R1S Camp Kitchen - Who's Getting It? original-jpg-resize-700-_-

Rivian R1T R1S Camp Kitchen - Who's Getting It? original-jpg-resize-400-_-

Rivian R1T R1S Camp Kitchen - Who's Getting It? original-jpg-resize-400-_-

Rivian R1T R1S Camp Kitchen - Who's Getting It? original-jpg-resize-700-_-

Its worth it now and looks like they added some lights to the setup.

jfishfl

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Mclaren 570s, Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
I ordered it. I do a few motorcycle/auto track days a year and it could be fun.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
One of my concerns is that bears could smell remnants of food and tear open the gear tunnel open to get at the camp kitchen. :CWL:
Sponsored