First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
There are some interesting shots from the recent Motortrend trip which suggest some cool features of the Cameras app. In particular, this one from @renz.jpg on instagram caught my eye:

Rivian R1T R1S Cameras App Features & Functions - clues from the Motortrend feature 1631300049751

A few interesting details here -
  • Great layout for rearview + side view cameras maximizing the center screen.
  • Slider in the bottom left appears to toggle between "Wheel" and "Back" for the side view cameras - an awesome feature for trail spotting and parallel parking.
  • UX hint on the right suggests you can swipe to get to other views (presumably the front/belly cam?)
Not sure if these are new details or if there are other good shots of the Cameras app, but this is all quite exciting to me!
Sponsored

electrictaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
  • Great layout for rearview + side view cameras maximizing the center screen.
That actually looks like a front cam in the image. The orange leaves match on the left side of the trail.

OP
OP
kylealden

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
That actually looks like a front cam in the image. The orange leaves match on the left side of the trail.
You might be right! I was on the fence about that but the road trajectory seemed slightly different. In that case the bottom-left toggle is probably "Front/Back" which is more obvious but didn't fit my priors when I assumed a rearview cam ?

In this case I wonder what the right-hand border is trying to tell us. Maybe that's a hint to swipe to the bed cam view? That could track with what you see in the sliver of the image (grey box on top is the RTT, maybe?)

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
would be cool if you got some kind of 'sentry' or 'dash cam' mode out of those too. I will say that's the one 'killer feature' in a Tesla, built in integrated dash cam.

Sponsored

Mister Person

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius
Clubs

I take it this is the black mountain interior, or some pre production version? The wood looks lighter in color.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
would be cool if you got some kind of 'sentry' or 'dash cam' mode out of those too. I will say that's the one 'killer feature' in a Tesla, built in integrated dash cam.
“gear guard” is this.

kommonplace

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinjwangler.com
Vehicles
2014 Ford Flex, non-LE R1S preorder
Occupation
IT Director
“gear guard” is this.
Do we know that for sure? I am pretty sure it was confirmed that gear guard would, well, guard your gear by monitoring the R1T's truck bed. Has it been confirmed that it will act as a dash cam? That it will monitor the entire vehicle when parked like Sentry Mode on a Tesla?

I'm assuming both will be true... but I haven't seen anything that says so definitively. (I'm hoping to be wrong and someone has a link to info!)

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
“gear guard” is this.
My understanding gear guard was those cables that stretched across the bed to lock things down with. That's great if it's more than that.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Do we know that for sure? I am pretty sure it was confirmed that gear guard would, well, guard your gear by monitoring the R1T's truck bed. Has it been confirmed that it will act as a dash cam? That it will monitor the entire vehicle when parked like Sentry Mode on a Tesla?

I'm assuming both will be true... but I haven't seen anything that says so definitively. (I'm hoping to be wrong and someone has a link to info!)
We don’t know anything for sure.

rivian: the existentialist automaker

Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

We don’t know anything for sure.

rivian: the existentialist automaker
Just think of gear guard as superposition. It both is and isn't that until we observe it.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
The support site refers to their "Gear Guard remote monitoring system". We don't have specifics yet, but it's safe to say they will eventually have a sentry-mode-like system. We will probably have a pretty good idea of what exactly we'll see at launch once we get the press coverage next week.

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

I heard Rivian also will utilize quantum mechanics to determine the presence of your stuff once Gearguard is engaged.

Formula:

Rivian R1T R1S Cameras App Features & Functions - clues from the Motortrend feature Screenshot_20210923-130003_Chrome

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I heard Rivian also will utilize quantum mechanics to determine the presence of your stuff once Gearguard is engaged.

Formula:

Screenshot_20210923-130003_Chrome.jpg
Lol made me snort laugh. Thankfully i was muted for my conference call.
Sponsored