Sponsored

Camera video quality on the R1T/R1S

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Does anyone know what the camera quality is on the vehicles? After watching the TAT and Breckenridge videos, the video quality didn't seem that great. It actually looked kinda grainy and low res. Anyone know what the camera quality is?
Sponsored

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
Does anyone know what the camera quality is on the vehicles? After watching the TAT and Breckenridge videos, the video quality didn't seem that great. It actually looked kinda grainy and low res. Anyone know what the camera quality is?
I do not know the technical number, but when I drove the R1T the cameras were very clear, I did not notice any quality issues.

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
I had the opposite experience in Sonoma. The front camera image quality was quite bad.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
It seems to vary a lot. A few people who took rest drives observed it go from great to terrible mid drive.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Is it possible the cameras themselves are of high quality, but the software/compression program or whatever is just lacking? (IDK how computers work)

Fingers crossed the hardware is fine, and it’s just a software issue that can be fixed OTA

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Is it possible the cameras themselves are of high quality, but the software/compression program or whatever is just lacking? (IDK how computers work)
In lay terms, yes.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

Fingers crossed the hardware is fine, and it’s just a software issue that can be fixed OTA
That's what @CarterGee was thinking.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
That's what @CarterGee was thinking.
I can't imagine them launching at this point with a glitchy camera system unless it software driven and fixed somewhat quickly with an OTA. A $70k+ vehicle should be able to master what you'd get in vehicles half the price.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I can't imagine them launching at this point with a glitchy camera system unless it software driven and fixed somewhat quickly with an OTA. A $70k+ vehicle should be able to master what you'd get in vehicles half the price.
Like CarPlay and a 360 degree camera view?

(I can hear the forum groan, already)

RivChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
WRX, 911T
Occupation
Product Manager
Clubs

I had the opposite experience in Sonoma. The front camera image quality was quite bad.
I just had a test drive in Seattle and had the same experience. The backup camera looked fine but the front camera was grainy. The Rivian guy mentioned that updates were coming out weekly and improving these things so I would guess the front will be clear before widespread deliveries occur.

Sponsored

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
I know people are hyped but most likely many of these glitches will be present to some extent on customer cars for a while.

If people are expecting their LE to be bug free.. good luck. There are going to be some camera & infotainment issues. Probably some minor QC stuff, too. Hopefully all just minor stuff (some lag here, a less than great camera image there), but worth keeping in mind.

Some of it can get software patched, some of it will get worked out as they build more cars. But Rivian needs to start delivering and we've seen plenty of EVs with "oh these are just preproduction bugs" that are still getting worked out years later. Ie.. almost every new EV that has been released in the last 4 years.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
When I visited Venice back in October and even from the early videos from things like the event in Breck, it seemed like a good resolution but low framerate. From some of the more recent videos like the event in Sanoma, it looks like the frame rate issue is now resolved. This was something that the press were told would be fixed s00n and it looks like it has been.

Anyone know if the trucks in Sanoma were the still pre-prod vehicles or have they switched to production vehicles now?

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Like CarPlay and a 360 degree camera view?

(I can hear the forum groan, already)
I agree on the 360 view, it's not all that hard to do. Don't know if it's patents or something else but at least the cameras are on the vehicle so software updates can stitch views together.

Carplay on the other hand was unlikely to ever happen, especially since Tesla's gotten away with it for so long. And seeing as though Rivian has more demand than they can supply in the short term I'm not sure they'd notice anyone cancelling pre-orders over Carplay. I personally don't mind using it though but wouldn't say I need it.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
on the subject of cameras, can anyone report on how quickly the rear view takes to come up after putting the vehicle in reverse?
Sponsored