dleewla

First Name
David
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander, Honda Accord
Does anyone know what the camera quality is on the vehicles? After watching the TAT and Breckenridge videos, the video quality didn't seem that great. It actually looked kinda grainy and low res. Anyone know what the camera quality is?
Advertisement

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Reaction score
First Name
Leo
Vehicles
Tesla S 90D, Mazda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
Does anyone know what the camera quality is on the vehicles? After watching the TAT and Breckenridge videos, the video quality didn't seem that great. It actually looked kinda grainy and low res. Anyone know what the camera quality is?
I do not know the technical number, but when I drove the R1T the cameras were very clear, I did not notice any quality issues.

yizzung

Reaction score
Vehicles
allroad
Occupation
Tech
I had the opposite experience in Sonoma. The front camera image quality was quite bad.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
It seems to vary a lot. A few people who took rest drives observed it go from great to terrible mid drive.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Reaction score
First Name
Zak
Vehicles
2018 XC60 T8, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS
Occupation
Student
Is it possible the cameras themselves are of high quality, but the software/compression program or whatever is just lacking? (IDK how computers work)

Fingers crossed the hardware is fine, and it’s just a software issue that can be fixed OTA

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Is it possible the cameras themselves are of high quality, but the software/compression program or whatever is just lacking? (IDK how computers work)

Fingers crossed the hardware is fine, and it’s just a software issue that can be fixed OTA
That's what @CarterGee was thinking.

Attesan997

Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y
That's what @CarterGee was thinking.
I can't imagine them launching at this point with a glitchy camera system unless it software driven and fixed somewhat quickly with an OTA. A $70k+ vehicle should be able to master what you'd get in vehicles half the price.

CommodoreAmiga

Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
I can't imagine them launching at this point with a glitchy camera system unless it software driven and fixed somewhat quickly with an OTA. A $70k+ vehicle should be able to master what you'd get in vehicles half the price.
Like CarPlay and a 360 degree camera view?

(I can hear the forum groan, already)

RivChris

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicles
WRX, 911T
Occupation
Product Manager
I had the opposite experience in Sonoma. The front camera image quality was quite bad.
I just had a test drive in Seattle and had the same experience. The backup camera looked fine but the front camera was grainy. The Rivian guy mentioned that updates were coming out weekly and improving these things so I would guess the front will be clear before widespread deliveries occur.

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
I know people are hyped but most likely many of these glitches will be present to some extent on customer cars for a while.

If people are expecting their LE to be bug free.. good luck. There are going to be some camera & infotainment issues. Probably some minor QC stuff, too. Hopefully all just minor stuff (some lag here, a less than great camera image there), but worth keeping in mind.

Some of it can get software patched, some of it will get worked out as they build more cars. But Rivian needs to start delivering and we've seen plenty of EVs with "oh these are just preproduction bugs" that are still getting worked out years later. Ie.. almost every new EV that has been released in the last 4 years.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
When I visited Venice back in October and even from the early videos from things like the event in Breck, it seemed like a good resolution but low framerate. From some of the more recent videos like the event in Sanoma, it looks like the frame rate issue is now resolved. This was something that the press were told would be fixed s00n and it looks like it has been.

Anyone know if the trucks in Sanoma were the still pre-prod vehicles or have they switched to production vehicles now?

Attesan997

Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y
Like CarPlay and a 360 degree camera view?

(I can hear the forum groan, already)
I agree on the 360 view, it's not all that hard to do. Don't know if it's patents or something else but at least the cameras are on the vehicle so software updates can stitch views together.

Carplay on the other hand was unlikely to ever happen, especially since Tesla's gotten away with it for so long. And seeing as though Rivian has more demand than they can supply in the short term I'm not sure they'd notice anyone cancelling pre-orders over Carplay. I personally don't mind using it though but wouldn't say I need it.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer

electruck

Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volvo XC60
on the subject of cameras, can anyone report on how quickly the rear view takes to come up after putting the vehicle in reverse?

Advertisement

Advertisement