Sponsored

Camber, Caster, Toe, and underbody shield

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I went to the service center to get my alignment fixed and learned what the underbody shield does and doesn't protect... tldr; yes to scrapes and punctures, no to bottoming out. 7000lbs in one spot will screw up your sub frame.

We went over a stump and made front contact with a tree a couple weeks back. It was enough to put a small dent in the fender, PPF took all the facial damage, and I thought that was all. Apparently we were up on the stump at one point, there were marks on the underbody, and the weight of the truck caused the subframe to shift a little. The caster was knocked off center and loosened, causing the alignment to progressively get worse. The tech says it "should" hold up but to keep an eye on it. If I feel any shifting in a turn and it doesn't straighten out right, stop immediately and they'll tow it.

So much for an off-road truck, huh? With any luck, he says the winch bumper he's seen prototypes for will protect better against this type of stuff.

My before and after:
Rivian R1T R1S Camber, Caster, Toe, and underbody shield PXL_20220520_031152691~2

Camber, caster, and toe specs:
Rivian R1T R1S Camber, Caster, Toe, and underbody shield PXL_20220520_031156970~2

I must give kudos to the Bellevue team and manager for squeezing us in before our big trip in the truck! It's so much better now and I feel much more comfortable adventuring for a couple weeks.
Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Adventure on I say...

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I went to the service center to get my alignment fixed and learned what the underbody shield does and doesn't protect... tldr; yes to scrapes and punctures, no to bottoming out. 7000lbs in one spot will screw up your sub frame.

We went over a stump and made front contact with a tree a couple weeks back. It was enough to put a small dent in the fender, PPF took all the facial damage, and I thought that was all. Apparently we were up on the stump at one point, there were marks on the underbody, and the weight of the truck caused the subframe to shift a little. The caster was knocked off center and loosened, causing the alignment to progressively get worse. The tech says it "should" hold up but to keep an eye on it. If I feel any shifting in a turn and it doesn't straighten out right, stop immediately and they'll tow it.

So much for an off-road truck, huh? With any luck, he says the winch bumper he's seen prototypes for will protect better against this type of stuff.

My before and after:
PXL_20220520_031152691~2.jpg

Camber, caster, and toe specs:
PXL_20220520_031156970~2.jpg

I must give kudos to the Bellevue team and manager for squeezing us in before our big trip in the truck! It's so much better now and I feel much more comfortable adventuring for a couple weeks.

this is the level of alignment detail I was hoping for one day! Kudos for getting it recorded!

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S Camber, Caster, Toe, and underbody shield 1653052480389

One of the early R1S shots they had this thing set up with more Camber than my track spec Lotus. I was wondering what the specs would actually be I'm sure based on this pic they spent a lot of time fine tuning the alignment for handling.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

1653052480389.png

One of the early R1S shots they had this thing set up with more Camber than my track spec Lotus. I was wondering what the specs would actually be I'm sure based on this pic they spent a lot of time fine tuning the alignment for handling.
It could be that they had to lower the suspension to clear the garage or carport opening. Our Land Rover looks like this when the suspension is at its lowest setting but goes back to normal when the height is set to normal.

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

1653052480389.png

#stancenation 🤣 but yeas that's like -3/-3.5 easily lol

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

That's a serious amount of caster to prevent shake.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

if you offroad, isnt bottoming out a regular occurrence? a bit surprised to hear the RUS isnt designed to protect against that.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
if you offroad, isnt bottoming out a regular occurrence? a bit surprised to hear the RUS isnt designed to protect against that.
Energy has to go somewhere. It’s not a force field.

911.1 Guy

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Dam Many
Occupation
Finance
I'm surprised that the front camber spec is less negative than the rear. Usually it is the other way around. And what suspension setting height is used for the measurements?

Castor is most likely not adjustable in the rear and probably not in the front either.

Sponsored

Throwdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t launch edition#2650
Occupation
Technician
I'm surprised that the front camber spec is less negative than the rear. Usually it is the other way around. And what suspension setting height is used for the measurements?

Castor is most likely not adjustable in the rear and probably not in the front either.
Maybe not on a truck but on anything that handles the rear camber is always more than the front. Specifically 911s. I looked underneath mine and I saw front caster adjustments.

911.1 Guy

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Dam Many
Occupation
Finance
Rivian R1T R1S Camber, Caster, Toe, and underbody shield 992_GT3_Spur_Sturz_Daniel

Wrong! Internet "experts" are everywhere.

Last edited:

Throwdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t launch edition#2650
Occupation
Technician
992_GT3_Spur_Sturz_Daniel.jpeg

Wrong! Internet "experts" are everywhere.
That's a track alignment, not for the street, also that shows corner balancing which would affect the camber. Were talking about a street legal truck not a race track only setup on a GT3, Mr expert.
That alignment setup looks like someone trying to do a PB lap of the Nurburgring

Last edited:

Throwdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t launch edition#2650
Occupation
Technician
Here's the alignment specs straight out of the FACTORY workshop manual which I have because I've been a certified porsche tech at a dealer for 24 yrs. Feel free to inspect and see that nowhere on any setup is the front camber more than the rear. Even a 918 doesn't have more front camber than rear, I can show you that as well of you want.

Rivian R1T R1S Camber, Caster, Toe, and underbody shield 1679933122486384963147777583343

Last edited:

911.1 Guy

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Dam Many
Occupation
Finance
If you look the "street/track" box is checked. Last time I checked a GT3 is a 911, Mr expert
Sponsored