NNY

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Rav4
Letter from Rivian...
Rivian R1T R1S Calling New York... Help Make Direct EV Sales Possible 2ae17322-a444-43a7-b668-759f30ef8364
To our New York community,

New York is one of America’s best places for outdoor adventures. With your help, we can work together to keep it that way.

Current laws in New York prohibit direct-to-consumer sales, preventing Rivian and other electric vehicle companies from accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable energy — a key component of fighting climate change.

While it is possible to buy a Rivian in New York through online purchasing, we’re currently prohibited from establishing locations, conducting sales activities, providing demo drives, hosting community events, and more. If Senate Bill 1763 and Assembly Bill 4614 are passed, Rivian and other EV manufacturers can invest in the state, furthering our mission of deploying zero-emission vehicles and improving environmental quality for future generations.

If you’d like to support EV access in New York, you can find your Legislators and contact them by phone or email. Let them know in your own words why you believe New York should create an open marketplace for electric vehicles.

Learn more about the effort for EV freedom in New York here. For more ways to get involved, connect with our team by visiting https://rivian.com/support.
Thank you for helping us keep the world adventurous forever.

— Team Rivian
Sponsored

747 Whalewatcher

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S and Mercedes 450GLS
Occupation
Airline Operations
Letter from Rivian...
2ae17322-a444-43a7-b668-759f30ef8364.png

New York is one of America’s best places for outdoor adventures. With your help, we can work together to keep it that way.

Current laws in New York prohibit direct-to-consumer sales, preventing Rivian and other electric vehicle companies from accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable energy — a key component of fighting climate change.

While it is possible to buy a Rivian in New York through online purchasing, we’re currently prohibited from establishing locations, conducting sales activities, providing demo drives, hosting community events, and more. If Senate Bill 1763 and Assembly Bill 4614 are passed, Rivian and other EV manufacturers can invest in the state, furthering our mission of deploying zero-emission vehicles and improving environmental quality for future generations.

If you’d like to support EV access in New York, you can find your Legislators and contact them by phone or email. Let them know in your own words why you believe New York should create an open marketplace for electric vehicles.

Learn more about the effort for EV freedom in New York here. For more ways to get involved, connect with our team by visiting https://rivian.com/support.

— Team Rivian
I had no idea having purchased my Tesla in New York directly in 2016. What does that mean for me as a very early reservation holder and NY resident?

bowhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Clubs

Letter from Rivian...

— Team Rivian
I will contact NY legislators on Rivian's behalf in exchange for real world pictures of R1T/S in launch green.

OP
OP

NNY

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Rav4
I had no idea having purchased my Tesla in New York directly in 2016. What does that mean for me as a very early reservation holder and NY resident?
Good question. Sounds like in state test drives are at serious risk.

radiopaul65

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Mazda Miata MX5, 6 speed, retractable hardtop
Occupation
Retired
My understanding is that some states that prohibited direct sales granted Tesla a waiver when they were starting out. It only seems fair that they either change the law, or grant Rivian a waiver as well.

Sponsored

Albanobro

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 GMC Sierra All Terrain X
I will contact NY legislators on Rivian's behalf in exchange for real world pictures of R1T/S in launch green.
I feel that with 25% of launch editions ordered in launch green, we should really know what to expect by now. Real world pictures please! I’ve gone back and forth between launch green and other colors, but didn’t want to wait until August. Now I’m worried my launch green/ocean coast color combo will delay my order even further.

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
Letter from Rivian...

— Team Rivian
I will email them today! I am also available to travel to another state or visit the factory to see paint and interior options.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Studies like this does not help the cause;

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mar...-block-tesla-sales-in-connecticut/ar-BB1gQapB

Not sure what I’m missing here. Who owns the store fronts will not make a difference.

Not allowing them to open the facilities is what will cause the job loss. The dealer networks are going to shrink regardless if they change the law or not. The EV support model will not support the existing dealership model.

The impact just means anyone living in CT interested in an EV can drive 1 hour at most to another state to visit the storefronts there. More trouble for larger states like Texas because of how far they would need to travel to test drive one.

People in general do not like change but railing against it does nothing but put them at a disadvantage when the inevitable happens.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Studies like this does not help the cause;

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mar...-block-tesla-sales-in-connecticut/ar-BB1gQapB

Not sure what I’m missing here. Who owns the store fronts will not make a difference.

Not allowing them to open the facilities is what will cause the job loss. The dealer networks are going to shrink regardless if they change the law or not. The EV support model will not support the existing dealership model.

The impact just means anyone living in CT interested in an EV can drive 1 hour at most to another state to visit the storefronts there. More trouble for larger states like Texas because of how far they would need to travel to test drive one.

People in general do not like change but railing against it does nothing but put them at a disadvantage when the inevitable happens.
When a biased organization commissions a study, you are virtually assured that the outcome of the study will support that organization's position. Dealers are only afraid that consumers will prefer to deal directly with the manufacturer and will subsequently be steered away from brands that are only able to be sold through dealers. Rather than try to fix the problems that make consumers want to go elsewhere, they instead take the approach that the only way to keep customers is to prohibit any alternative car buying methods. Opening up the market will force dealers to become more competitive and more customer friendly if they want to survive.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
When a biased organization commissions a study, you are virtually assured that the outcome of the study will support that organization's position. Dealers are only afraid that consumers will prefer to deal directly with the manufacturer and will subsequently be steered away from brands that are only able to be sold through dealers. Rather than try to fix the problems that make consumers want to go elsewhere, they instead take the approach that the only way to keep customers is to prohibit any alternative car buying methods. Opening up the market will force dealers to become more competitive and more customer friendly if they want to survive.
But what about the Little League teams? No car dealerships to plaster their logo all over those tot’s uniforms. The world will cease to exist as we know it. ?‍♂
Sponsored