LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

It would be a good marketing / business growth strategy. Qualifying on that list brings more sales
Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Or they could take the Tesla trick from one of the Canadian incentives. Sell software limited vehicles with crippled range for under the cutoff (I think the Model 3s they did this with were <100 miles). Then sell an upgrade after delivery to unlock the full potential ;)

I don't think this loophole survived for long....

OP
OP
Lmirafuente

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
I searched google and found someone saying that California won't give a rebate on EVs over $60k. I then looked at this list of eligible vehicles. Obviously Rivian isn't on there yet, but neither is a Model S/X or Porsche Taycan (each with starting prices over $60k). I DON'T think we're getting rebates on our Rivian!

The only path to getting at California tax credit would be if by the time of launch Rivian states the starting price of the R1T with 105kWh battery to be $59,999. Then maybe it'll make the list. They could pull at Tesla move and never actually build that version of the R1T for all I care.
You are correct in this info.

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch edition
Based on their current pricing this could be possible.

67,500 for 135kw
77,500 for 180kw

so maybe 59,995.00 for 105kw

I sure hope so!!!

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
I talked with Brian Gase at Mill Valley/SF about the limitation on California tax rebates on EVs costing more than $60K, and he said Rivian was aware of this and was working on a way to accommodate the limitation.

However, the new legislation "under submission" that Lmirafuente mentions would likely supercede the current limitation on EVs costing more than $60K, if it passes. And, under Biden, a strong federal push in support of EVs seems likely.

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch edition
I talked with Brian Gase at Mill Valley/SF about the limitation on California tax rebates on EVs costing more than $60K, and he said Rivian was aware of this and was working on a way to accommodate the limitation.

However, the new legislation "under submission" that Lmirafuente mentions would likely supercede the current limitation on EVs costing more than $60K, if it passes. And, under Biden, a strong federal push in support of EVs seems likely.
Lets keep our fingers crossed this all happens before June 2021.
Sponsored