Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler JK, JL 4XE
Occupation
Manufacturing
Clubs

We did a trip to lake Tahoe from upland only required two stop both at the new rivian charge stations. Ill do separate post on trip just wanted to show everyone the stations.

First stop:

Inyokern
At classic burger
There where 6 200kw chargers we saw a change rate of 216kw for a few minutes.

Rivian R1T R1S California Rivian Charging Network Stations - charging experience and photos from visit 20220710_103032
Rivian R1T R1S California Rivian Charging Network Stations - charging experience and photos from visit 20220710_102549
Rivian R1T R1S California Rivian Charging Network Stations - charging experience and photos from visit 20220710_103129

They also have charging station while towing. You can also park behind main bank of chargers as well there is a lot of room to pull in with a trailer. The bathrooms are behind container in photo below very clean at the time and cool a/c. Not much to walk around and see

Rivian R1T R1S California Rivian Charging Network Stations - charging experience and photos from visit 20220710_103039

the second station was in bishop. At el polo loco in the middle of town so plenty to walk around and see. Also 6 200kw chargers much tighter.

Rivian R1T R1S California Rivian Charging Network Stations - charging experience and photos from visit 20220710_131337
Rivian R1T R1S California Rivian Charging Network Stations - charging experience and photos from visit 20220710_131146
Rivian R1T R1S California Rivian Charging Network Stations - charging experience and photos from visit 20220710_140536

I would be very cautious with a trailer in this one not a lot of maneuvering room. There appeared to be a pull through spot for charging while towing but very narrow and sharp turn to get in with other cars. I would take only a small trailer in to this spot it was also blocked by cars both times we went past it.

Rivian R1T R1S California Rivian Charging Network Stations - charging experience and photos from visit 20220710_140807
Rivian R1T R1S California Rivian Charging Network Stations - charging experience and photos from visit 20220710_160823

they where easy plug and charge no apps or buttons to push. It started charging right away. Best of all it was free.
Sponsored

JabbaMac

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Golf R, Subaru Outback, Vanagon
I was just there over the weekend! We drove from San Diego to Mammoth to go backpacking (1000 Island Lake). 225 miles to get to Classic Burgers in Inyokern, then stopped again in Bishop to top off before heading into Mammoth. Did the same on the way back.

This trip did away with any range anxiety I had. The estimated mileage was spot on both directions. I drove in conserve mode and set the Cruise Control to 75 and just relaxed the whole way. I am looking forward to more free trips up the 395 corridor.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Since Rivian uses CCS plug, is the RAN fast charger accessible only to Rivian?

What stops non Rivians from using it?

Sponsored

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Software.
So there is no HW identifier (e.g., VIN) tied to SW? If only SW, then it can easily be opened up for other EVs, if so desired by Rivian (or spoofed by someone).

Last edited:

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

So there is no HW identifier (e.g., VIN) tied to SW? If only SW, then it can easily be opened up for other EVs, if so desired by Rivian (or spoofed by someone).
I would assume the plan is to open it to others later as more come online. Likely in a way similar to Tesla's open network in Europe, where the price is higher for others using their network than it would be for a tesla driver.

With the SC network in Europe, It was commented on by OutofSpec that the rates are slightly higher than other third party chargers which in a way helps mitigate overuse by non teslas. Open, but at a premium.

edited for a broken sentence.

Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
Since Rivian uses CCS plug, is the RAN fast charger accessible only to Rivian?

What stops non Rivians from using it?
The CCS Plug is ISO 15118 compatible, so when you plug it in the DCFC system is informed of certain information like VIN etc. All Rivian has to do is say "Rivian vehicles only"

You can see that the DCFCs are "connected" so all they would have to do is send an update that says "Rate = $.xx and allow any car"

Rivian R1T R1S California Rivian Charging Network Stations - charging experience and photos from visit FS_CZOJWAAMuHt

Basic info on ISO 15118
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_15118

Neo F

First Name
Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T - Launch Green, Blk AT, Forest Edge
Occupation
IT
I was just there over the weekend! We drove from San Diego to Mammoth to go backpacking (1000 Island Lake). 225 miles to get to Classic Burgers in Inyokern, then stopped again in Bishop to top off before heading into Mammoth. Did the same on the way back.

This trip did away with any range anxiety I had. The estimated mileage was spot on both directions. I drove in conserve mode and set the Cruise Control to 75 and just relaxed the whole way. I am looking forward to more free trips up the 395 corridor.
Did you keep track of the m/kWh you consumed going from Bishop to Mammoth? Big elevation gain and curious on the energy impact. I'm taking a trip in August to run some numbers to be prepared for my winter snowboarding trips. Ideally, in the winter, I would like to charge in bishop to 70% spend 3 days in Mammoth and return to Bishop and re-charge for my journey home back to LA. Most likely having a second charging stop somewhere in between Bishop and LA.

Sponsored

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
Love seeing the progress of Rivian's charging network here!
Strong charge speeds, good locations, and considerations for towing - all good things.

johnjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IG: thegreenmachine_R1T
Clubs

Did you keep track of the m/kWh you consumed going from Bishop to Mammoth? Big elevation gain and curious on the energy impact. I'm taking a trip in August to run some numbers to be prepared for my winter snowboarding trips. Ideally, in the winter, I would like to charge in bishop to 70% spend 3 days in Mammoth and return to Bishop and re-charge for my journey home back to LA. Most likely having a second charging stop somewhere in between Bishop and LA.

I recently did a trip from LA to Mammoth and did a post in another forum but here is the numbers from Bishop to Mammoth.

Rivian R1T R1S California Rivian Charging Network Stations - charging experience and photos from visit IMG-7911

I would highly recommend charging to 85% at minimum. This will depend on what you plan on doing up there and what your load is. I've been back and forth a few times from LA to Mammoth in the Rivian and I've always charged to 85% at Bishop. There was one trip that I charged to 85% at Bishop and did not drive around town and was able to make it back to Coso Junction to charge to another 85% and make it back home to LA. It was just my wife and I and we did not have much in the truck.

Neo F

First Name
Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T - Launch Green, Blk AT, Forest Edge
Occupation
IT
I recently did a trip from LA to Mammoth and did a post in another forum but here is the numbers from Bishop to Mammoth.

IMG-7911.jpg

I would highly recommend charging to 85% at minimum. This will depend on what you plan on doing up there and what your load is. I've been back and forth a few times from LA to Mammoth in the Rivian and I've always charged to 85% at Bishop. There was one trip that I charged to 85% at Bishop and did not drive around town and was able to make it back to Coso Junction to charge to another 85% and make it back home to LA. It was just my wife and I and we did not have much in the truck.
This is really good info. I was anticipating a hit from the elevation gain and it really shows. Leaving from Chatsworth, CA at a 100% charge and using conserve mode, do you anticipate an issue making it to Bishop (250 miles) to charge. Would you recommend doing a quick stop at InnoyKern for 15mins to charge? We are staying at the Westin, so the load will be light. Couple bags and my two dogs combined weight of 55lbs.

BTW, we have the same color and rims. What interior did you go with?

How much time did it take you to charge up to 85%? What was your starting SOC?

Thanks again for the info!

Last edited:

johnjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IG: thegreenmachine_R1T
Clubs

This is really good info. I was anticipating a hit from the elevation gain and it really shows. Leaving from Chatsworth, CA at a 100% charge and using conserve mode, do you anticipate an issue making it to Bishop (250 miles) to charge. Would you recommend doing a quick stop at InnoyKern for 15mins to charge? We are staying at the Westin, so the load will be light. Couple bags and my two dogs combined weight of 55lbs.

BTW, we have the same color and rims. What interior did you go with?

Thanks again for the info!
How crazy?!? I'm from Chatsworth. My interior is Black. I see that yours is Forest Green....nice!

You won't make it to Bishop on a 100% charge. The winds and elevation definitely affects the range. I would recommend charging at Inyokern even though it takes you a few miles off your route.

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
How crazy?!? I'm from Chatsworth. My interior is Black. I see that yours is Forest Green....nice!

You won't make it to Bishop on a 100% charge. The winds and elevation definitely affects the range. I would recommend charging at Inyokern even though it takes you a few miles off your route.
This is all good information since i'm leaving from Simi in August to head up there... thanks!
Sponsored