Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
100% agreed.
Which is a huge disappointment for me. Since the bed isn't big, I was really hoping to get a set of roof height racks for the bed for carrying long things like lumber. My son will give me no end of shit because of this. He has a Colorado with a rack. He's building a 16 X 30 shop in his back yard and refuses to pay for lumber delivery. He has hauled every stick of lumber and sheet of OSB with his truck to build it. I can hear him now, The R1T can't carry a 16' 2X6? What a fail.
this 100%. Third party market isnā€™t going to come up with anything until there are 250,000+ trucks sold. Canā€™t think of a downside for Rivian helping to show this as work truck capable. Also, I think folks would feel much more secure hauling a kayak and other things long distances with a full cab height rack.
Sponsored

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
OP
OP

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
For now, I think something like this is a reasonable solution.
IMG_20220614_154052.jpg

Configured this way it was 137 inches from the back of the "goal post" to the front of the front roof crossbar. This one can also be configured as a bed extender.
AmazonSmile: ECOTRIC Pick Up Truck SUV Bed Hitch Extender Extension Rack Canoe Boat Kayak Lumber w/Flag : Automotive
I should note that I needed a hitch extension to clear the bumper. And no, you don't want to open the tailgate with this installed.
this is why I love forums because the innovative collaboration. That said, Iā€™m scared about lateral forces racking the thing with more than about #75 but in a pinch I guess I could Jerry it with ratchet straps to an upper bed anchor on each side.

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20ā€
Any encouraging news on the roof/bed rack front? Please, please, Rivian!!! Help us out! Offer a solution. Change the mounting system. Make it possible for after market options. Do something. Itā€™s a damn p/u, suv, adventure vehicle for crying out loud. This is crazy.

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
Any encouraging news on the roof/bed rack front? Please, please, Rivian!!! Help us out! Offer a solution. Change the mounting system. Make it possible for after market options. Do something. Itā€™s a damn p/u, suv, adventure vehicle for crying out load. This is crazy.
None. Sorry. Not my biggest let down from Rivian but certainly annoying.

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20ā€
None. Sorry. Not my biggest let down from Rivian but certainly annoying.
Well, for me and the things I want/need to do with my Rivian, I would say this is THE Biggie. The couple other gripes I may have are all resolvable or can be lived with. On the whole, Rivian has gone above and beyond and certainly done a spectacular job. To me, thatā€™s what makes this oversight/limitation so odd. It just seems like it would have been a no-brainer to make a more universal mounting system like most other P/U truck manufacturers. I mean, who makes a p/u and never considers that buyers may want/need to put different rack setups on it?

Anyway, Iā€™m still hoping for after market solutions. Unfortunately, I keep getting this sinking feeling that there are some sorts of design/structural issues with the Rivian that preclude any such solutions. Like, why did Yakima run away from this project? Hmmm. Weā€™ll see.

miasm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I would buy a set if anyone ever figured out how to make one safely. Seriously planned to buy one, but then none available.

OP
OP

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
Well, for me and the things I want/need to do with my Rivian, I would say this is THE Biggie. The couple other gripes I may have are all resolvable or can be lived with. On the whole, Rivian has gone above and beyond and certainly done a spectacular job. To me, thatā€™s what makes this oversight/limitation so odd. It just seems like it would have been a no-brainer to make a more universal mounting system like most other P/U truck manufacturers. I mean, who makes a p/u and never considers that buyers may want/need to put different rack setups on it?

Anyway, Iā€™m still hoping for after market solutions. Unfortunately, I keep getting this sinking feeling that there are some sorts of design/structural issues with the Rivian that preclude any such solutions. Like, why did Yakima run away from this project? Hmmm. Weā€™ll see.
Well I canā€™t legally drive my Rivian on the road so Iā€™ll call that a bigger issue. :)

iā€™m fairly confident a rack can be done but if youā€™re a third-party you donā€™t want to spend a bunch of R&D to get something thatā€™s currently for a market of buyers in the few thousand and maybe you capture 5% of total owners? Once we see 250,000+ on the road I think youā€™ll see options pop up. If I could get a sold lumber rack for my 1980 F-150, Iā€™m fairly sure itā€™s possible here.

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20ā€
Well I canā€™t legally drive my Rivian on the road so Iā€™ll call that a bigger issue. :)

iā€™m fairly confident a rack can be done but if youā€™re a third-party you donā€™t want to spend a bunch of R&D to get something thatā€™s currently for a market of buyers in the few thousand and maybe you capture 5% of total owners? Once we see 250,000+ on the road I think youā€™ll see options pop up. If I could get a sold lumber rack for my 1980 F-150, Iā€™m fairly sure itā€™s possible here.
Sorry youā€™re having issues with getting yours legal for the road.

Unfortunately, 250,000 on the road will happen way after I get my Rivian. So, for my purposes, it wouldnā€™t do me much good. I hope this doesnā€™t become a deal breaker for me.

Sponsored

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35

I don't think a tall solution would work on the bed alone, not with the acceleration of this truck, which is positive on increasing speed, negative on a hard brake, and lateral when zipping through turns. Perhaps an integrated solution that attached at all four points could work, but it would probably need a conservative max load.

OP
OP

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
I don't think a tall solution would work on the bed alone, not with the acceleration of this truck, which is both forward on increasing speed, backward on hard break, and side to side when zipping through turns. Perhaps an integrated solution that attached at all four points could work, but it would probably need a conservative max load.
You need something engineered to handle lateral forces which would require multiple point bracing. Donā€™t think you would get a manufacturer to take on this work unless they could reasonably sell 10,000 units.

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20ā€
I don't think a tall solution would work on the bed alone, not with the acceleration of this truck, which is positive on increasing speed, negative on a hard brake, and lateral when zipping through turns. Perhaps an integrated solution that attached at all four points could work, but it would probably need a conservative max load.
Hmmm. Very good points. Thanks for cheering me up ā˜¹ What if I promise to go real slow šŸ˜‚

jclicky

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Just catching up to this thread as Iā€™m personally very interested in the aftermarket solutions here.

Iā€™m biding my time for a max pack higher-capacity battery pack for on & off-road camping, and am wavering between the R1T or an R1S (seems max pack wonā€™t be quite as large whenever they finalize it).

Looks like Xtrusion Overland is going to bring something to market, check out the 6:00 mark in this video:

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20ā€
Just catching up to this thread as Iā€™m personally very interested in the aftermarket solutions here.

Iā€™m biding my time for a max pack higher-capacity battery pack for on & off-road camping, and am wavering between the R1T or an R1S (seems max pack wonā€™t be quite as large whenever they finalize it).

Looks like Xtrusion Overland is going to bring something to market, check out the 6:00 mark in this video:
Donā€™t hold your breath. As this is a critical issue for me, after watching that video, I reached out to Xtrusion Overland regarding a rack for the R1T. Never heard back from them ā˜¹ Maybe somebody else will have better luck.
Sponsored