Sponsored

CA Road Trip Costa Mesa to San Francisco: which way to home?

SoCal to SF via I-5 or US-101?

• Total voters

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Outback, '11 328i, '23 R1T
In keeping with the Rivian adventure spirit, my R1T delivery that was going to be today in South San Francisco is being bumped to next Tuesday in Costa Mesa. Without going into the details of the switch I'll just say that my newly assigned guide has been proactive with accommodations given this change and ultimately I am ok with how it is shaping up. The plan is that I will fly into John Wayne airport in the morning, take delivery at the Costa Mesa service center, then saddle up for the drive back to San Francisco.

My question for the community here is should I take the straight-forward but boring route of I-5 or the more scenic route of US-101 that will include some time along the coast?

One consideration is that I am an EV virgin and feel a bit like I am being tossed into the deep end of the pool with a 425+ mile drive home right out of the gate. I-5 is a heavily travelled corridor between Sf and LA that looks to have a good spacing of charging stops. US-101 looks to have fewer charging options including a big gap through the central coast.
Sponsored

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
I’d go 1 if open. We did christmas week. Good charge at Monterey Safeway EA. No range issues

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
For and additional adventure take Hwy 1. Buy a TeslaTap and stop at Hearst Castle and use the free Tesla Destination chargers while you do a tour. I did this trip in my R1T right after getting it. It was a none issue (as long as you plan a little). We used ABRP and PlugShare to find chargers. The BofA in Paso Robles worked pretty well.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

In keeping with the Rivian adventure spirit, my R1T delivery that was going to be today in South San Francisco is being bumped to next Tuesday in Costa Mesa. Without going into the details of the switch I'll just say that my newly assigned guide has been proactive with accommodations given this change and ultimately I am ok with how it is shaping up. The plan is that I will fly into John Wayne airport in the morning, take delivery at the Costa Mesa service center, then saddle up for the drive back to San Francisco.

My question for the community here is should I take the straight-forward but boring route of I-5 or the more scenic route of US-101 that will include some time along the coast?

One consideration is that I am an EV virgin and feel a bit like I am being tossed into the deep end of the pool with a 425+ mile drive home right out of the gate. I-5 is a heavily travelled corridor between Sf and LA that looks to have a good spacing of charging stops. US-101 looks to have fewer charging options including a big gap through the central coast.
All part of the adventure

Sponsored

Surfinkal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Data Engineer
BofA in Santa Barbara works great too. Whole Foods right across the street for coffee and snacks. 10% to 85% in 50 minutes and cost was just under $50.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Piano beach EA was fine too. this was first charge after Big Sur leg from Monterrey. santa Barbara was too far. There are other EAs too. All planned with riv nav and plugshare….easy!

Edit- Pismo not Piano...not sure where that came from

Last edited:
OP
OP
foxerson

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the recommendations here lean towards the more adventurous routes. I just checked Caltrans. Hwy 1 is closed south of Big Sur. As beautiful as that stretch of coast is it also would add a bunch of hours to what will already be a long day. I am also ruling out 395 despite the lure of multiple RAN sites. I already spend plenty of time in the mountains and will have just returned from a weekend in Tahoe.

101 seems like the right compromise. Plenty of beautiful stretches along the coast to make for a nice drive without adding a bunch of extra miles and driving time to the trip.

Thanks @SACDFJC and @Surfinkal for the suggestions of charging stops in Santa Barbara and Paso Robles. Seems like that would break it up into three segments rather nicely. I see there is also an EA in Pismo Beach that would be a good option depending on how the range works out.

OP
OP
foxerson

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks again for the tips. The drive went well despite yesterday's weather which various media outlets reported as a bomb cyclone with Fujiwara effect, landspout and tornado warnings. TLDR: it rained a lot.

The most interesting thing for me was that both the Rivian nav and Google Maps directed me to take highway 154 through Los Padres National Forest and past Cachuma Lake to cut the corner from Santa Barbara to Santa Maria. I had never driven this route before and it was a nice break from freeway driving.

The service center had my battery charged to 100% knowing that I had a long drive ahead. Made it to an EA charger in Pismo Beach with 50+ miles to spare then stopped at another EA in Soledad to top off for the final leg to San Francisco.

Enjoyed getting to know the truck and appreciated the Driver+ features for making the long drive a bit easier.

Rivian R1T R1S CA Road Trip Costa Mesa to San Francisco: which way to home? IMG_2785.JPEG

Rivian R1T R1S CA Road Trip Costa Mesa to San Francisco: which way to home? IMG_2788.JPEG
Sponsored