Sponsored

Buy R1T from inventory now or wait for possible "refreshed" version later this year?

abct

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gladiator, Wrangler 4xE, cherokee
Occupation
physician
I've decited on R1T with performance dual motor, large battery, 21" tires, powered Tonneau cover.
I know no one KNOWS the future, but this group seems very keyed in on trends
I see one available with that configuration in the inventory
-are prices for the same R1T design likely to go up or down when they restart custom configurations?
-will the likely refreshes make that much difference in everyday driving experience (assuming there won't be major changes in range/bidirectional charging, etc)
-Any major reason not to just take the one available that suits my needs?
-any problems with the current powered Tonneau cover that is available now?
THanks
Sponsored

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (DM, MaxPack); 2023 and 2019 Bolts
Average guess = relatively stable prices and driving experiences. The average could be wrong in either direction.

If you want it now, and can afford it now, I wouldn't delay based on speculation.

I don't have a tonneau. Many report problems, some don't.

Rivian seems to make things right on tonneaus, but very very slowly.

I hope this helps!

Eric9610

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Tesla MY, MB E350, MB S550
Clubs

If a refresh happens and more features or power are added the price will go up. This is the most likely outcome of waiting. Usually new generations = price increase in the automotive industry...

Golfer04

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Finance
I wouldn't expect something substantial in a refresh until 2026 (IMO). My fixed tonneau sounded like it was about to break after 90 days of use when I traded. Not sure I agree Rivian makes things right on the tonneau. I waited 18 months after I paid for the truck to get my first power tonneau. Truck had 55,000 miles at the time. Was told my tonneau warranty was 5,000 miles. When I traded I dropped the tonneau and got a folding Weathertech designed to fit R1T. Works great. $1,055 installed.

OP
OP

abct

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gladiator, Wrangler 4xE, cherokee
Occupation
physician
If a refresh happens and more features or power are added the price will go up. This is the most likely outcome of waiting. Usually new generations = price increase in the automotive industry...
I get that but I keep hearing there will be a "fire sale" on EVs this summer due to huge inventories

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Simple. I would wait for the refreshed version that’s coming after summer.

Eric9610

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Rivian's Fire sale is happening now... Pick up a 2023 and get the big discounts before they are gone. 2024 units will be sold out before the factory reopens. New models will be 2025. Also RJ's comments about financing and affordability in earning reports lean more to price increase than decrease.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
And maybe a 1,000+ HP Quad Enduro Motor 2025 R1X.

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (DM, MaxPack); 2023 and 2019 Bolts
For traditional OEMs, perhaps, but Rivian doesn’t have the inventory to do fire sale sort of things
Rivian's got a lot more inventory than Fisker. The difference between Rivian and Fisker isn't the amount of inventory. The difference is that Rivian doesn't need to work on a "fire sale" basis, and Fisker does.

Rivian is surrounded by long-term threats, but is doing well in the short term. That strong short-term status is good for all of us as Rivian owners.

Many years ago, I learned that not deciding is just another decision.

Do whatever you think will give you, and others, the best experience in our shared and precious life.

Then, however it turns out, you will know you did the best you could with what you were working with.

Very best wishes!

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Don’t put off enjoying the best truck you’ll ever own any longer. Get your ass in the seat ASAP! :cool:

Eric9610

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I have friends that were skeptical until driving one now the R1 is the go-to car over others they own. I agree, one of the best and enjoyable cars I have driven outside of 911's and lotus's.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Rivian has a large number of max pack R1T. I wonder how they will get rid of those vehicles.

The refreshed R1 can't be changed much as Rivian has to quickly get back to full production. R!S inventory looks low.

They may not build R1T for awhile.