First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

Good job on helping these people.
I wouldnā€™t take the time to replace that bumper. Itā€™s plastic anyway and no one will notice. When you do, youā€™ll be reminded that you did the right thing helping someone else.

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

The bad news is that while trying to make it up the hill to leave we slid a little off track and bashed into a rock probably 2ā€™ in diameter.
Bummer, but what a thrill to be able to use such a capable vehicle to its full potential to save the day. Thanks for sharing this story.

Would chains or snow socks have helped at all? Chains are forbidden for the 20" ATs, but I'm considering getting low profile ones for conditions so bad that I would be driving slowly in Off Road / Highest. Has anyone tried this?

There are so many threads about chains, snow and tire choices. I'll try to cherry pick them into this thread to stay on the topic of handling in very slippery ice.

Anyone have a recommendation for good tire chains that fit the 20ā€ ATs?
What did you decide to get? If chains, can you share your experiences with them?

Iā€™ll definitely have a set of chains regardless of our final wheel choice, 20ā€ or 21ā€
What tires & chains did you choose?

Looks like Rivian owner says not to use chains on the 20ā€ AT or body damage is likely. Saw an excerpt in another thread. They recommend textiles (snow socks) on 20ā€ and cable chains on 21ā€ and 22ā€ wheels.
Has anyone tried to compare the performance of snow socks vs bare feet on the 20" ATs?

That ā€œno chains on AT 20sā€ is kind of a non-starter, and they really need a better answer there (ā€œraise your ride heightā€ or something). Tire chains are a staple of Pacific Northwest winter travel and often non-negotiable if you want to go over the pass.
This may apply to California drivers too. If troopers want to hassle you or impose the rare All Vehicles Chains Required rule in WA, you'll need something to avoid a ticket.

From that link, 4WD vehicles under 10,000 lbs with M+S or mountain/snowflake tires are exempt from "Chains Required" signs as far as actually mounting the snow chains, but you are still required to have chains with you.

Interesting question if chains that don't fit without rubbing would count as having chains with you.
Also, is a ticket cheaper than voiding the warranty? I'll need to research if snow socks are an allowed alternative when Chains Required is imposed.

Yes, they fit, and that's what's recommended in the Rivian user manual.
I don't know how well they work in snow, yet, but these textile "chains" have been around for years and there's plenty of videos showing them working.
Size AL69
https://shopautosock.mcgeecompany.com/truck-autosock-69/p24412/
Have you experienced the socks in snow or ice yet?

Very quick to install (2 minutes) and remove (30 seconds)
I tested front and rear, no touching or rubbing.
I plan on fitting them again with the R1T in the air so I can check between the tire and suspension to be sure there's no risk of a snag (this textile would surely destroy anything it caught while moving.)
From what I've seen textile traction aids are very good in most types of snow, "ok" on ice, but suffer when used on mixed surfaces (snow on gravel.)
How fast can you go in the socks before they start to quickly show wear?

I'm still torn, chains or socks for the 20" ATs.

So with no apparent snow tire solution and winter approaching quickly, I decided to go with chains and wheel socks to at least hold me over till next season where hopefully a tire option becomes available.

These are not a great solution because they can only be used below 30mph, have a chance of damaging your suspension or brake components, and you need to go out in the snow and mud and install and remove them on dirty tires. But it beats getting stuck and not making it up the icy hill to get home.

I wanted to decide between chains and socks so...I researched then ordered both.

Rivian R1T R1S Bumper/Wheel Damage while recovering a stuck Subaru. Rivian replacing R1T bumper for $750 img_5419-jpe
At least for the 21s some say both. Maybe I'll do the same. Sounds like I'll be outside every 30 minutes clearing the headlights, so I might as well fuss with the tires too šŸ˜›

No discussion of chains here, but it's a good writeup of snow driving with 20" ATs: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...ving-on-snow-experience-in-r1t-on-20-at.9528/

Last edited:

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

Iā€™ve decided to go with 21ā€ wheels, which will allow for low profile chains/cables. That extra 40 miles of range makes the difference for charging/not charging for a common route for me. I have yet to source a set because I wonā€™t take delivery until Q2/Q3 next year. Perhaps Rivian will sell a set in the gear shop eventually.

Now that Rivian is selling wheels in the gear shop, I may buy a 20ā€ set in the future for winter tires or off road tires, TBD.

edit/p.s.: I think you take the prize for most quotes in one post!

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

edit/p.s.: I think you take the prize for most quotes in one post!
I didn't want to offend anyone by not doing my due diligence. I prefer to offend people with my humor.

Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Would chains or snow socks have helped at all? Chains are forbidden for the 20" ATs, but I'm considering getting low profile ones for conditions so bad that I would be driving slowly in Off Road / Highest. Has anyone tried this?

There are so many threads about chains, snow and tire choices. I'll try to cherry pick them into this thread to stay on the topic of handling in very slippery ice.

What did you decide to get? If chains, can you share your experiences with them?

Has anyone tried to compare the performance of snow socks vs bare feet on the 20" ATs?

Also, is a ticket cheaper than voiding the warranty? I'll need to research if snow socks are an allowed alternative when Chains Required is imposed.

Have you experienced the socks in snow or ice yet?

How fast can you go in the socks before they start to quickly show wear?

I'm still torn, chains or socks for the 20" ATs.

No discussion of chains here, but it's a good writeup of snow driving with 20" ATs: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...ving-on-snow-experience-in-r1t-on-20-at.9528/
Chains are not prohibited and do not void the warranty at all. The document states not recommended and resultant body damage is not covered (nor is it covered for any vehicle.)

I put on the Autosocks AL69 size. They fit and are quick to install and remove. I think they're limited to 30 mph and would not even contemplate higher speeds regardless of rate of wear. I tested them on asphalt and dirt for clearance. They're fine. I've not had them on snow, but they've been around for years with numerous videos showing they work far better than snow tires. As I understand it, California Caltrans now knows about and recognizes textile chains. They TUV equipment and they work. I've had them on a Model 3 Performance for a couple of seasons and had to answer the question at a checkpoint a couple of times (once or twice with no chains on board, once with chains that didn't fit but might have been sufficient and for the last few seasons with the snow socks that are very hard to fit to the Model 3 because there's no space around the wheel and it's metal coil spring suspension with no ride height.)

I also have Peerless chains which I've had in well over a foot of snow on a hard pack base of snow. They fit fine and clear the rears, I haven't tried them on the fronts, but I did test fit and they clear with no apparent "at risk" hardware around the front suspension, brakes, cables and lines (though I could see myself putting a precautionary zip-tie around the brake line, which is already well protected, just to give it an extra inch away from the action.)

The Rivian software is junk. It needs a "winter" mode and an off-road mode that synchronizes the wheel rotation (aka three diff locks.) I found it "best" in off-road->rock-crawl with reduced regen, but didn't experiment with Sand mode. I was climbing a very steep asphalt road (over a foot of fresh snow on top of a week of compacted snow.) Chains worked as expected.

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

I put on the Autosocks AL69 size
Thank you. It looks like Autosock is approved in WA as an alternative traction device.
https://www.wsp.wa.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Alternative-Traction-devices-April-1024x626.png

For the Peerless chains I'm thinking of going with SZ468 SUPER Z-8: https://peerlesschain.com/products/super-z8#19555

"Diagonal-Pattern Cable Chain provides performance for vehicles with VERY limited operating clearance around the drive tires."

Last edited:

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

It looks like you just have some more "character" on your rim now. šŸ˜ I've got some scratches similar to that from some rocky off-roading, but maybe not quite as deep. I like to think of them as evidence of fun / use.
Is the rim damage causing any functional issues, or is it just cosmetic? Depending on the force of the impact I'd be more worried about the suspension and alignment.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Thank you. It looks like Autosock is approved in WA as an alternative traction device.
https://www.wsp.wa.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Alternative-Traction-devices-April-1024x626.png

For the Peerless chains I'm thinking of going with SZ468 SUPER Z-8: https://peerlesschain.com/products/super-z8#19555

"Diagonal-Pattern Cable Chain provides performance for vehicles with VERY limited operating clearance around the drive tires."
I think the cables would suffice for "probably never use these" or that one unlucky day it's too icy, or get the HD version of those cables in case they're a bit tougher under a heavy truck. I think there are cheaper vendors than Peerless, just a matter of how much shopping it's worth on a $200 purchase. Maybe Black Friday deals?

For chains
https://peerlesschain.com/tire-chain-finder?tire_size=275/65R20
I already had this style, which were fine on the rears and look like they're no risk of fouling on the fronts:
Rivian R1T R1S Bumper/Wheel Damage while recovering a stuck Subaru. Rivian replacing R1T bumper for $750 1669315143085

Last edited:
OP
OP

diranged

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
It looks like you just have some more "character" on your rim now. šŸ˜ I've got some scratches similar to that from some rocky off-roading, but maybe not quite as deep. I like to think of them as evidence of fun / use.
Is the rim damage causing any functional issues, or is it just cosmetic? Depending on the force of the impact I'd be more worried about the suspension and alignment.
The rim damage is really just cosmetic - but Iā€™ll admit it, I want my truck to look perfectā€¦ just who I am. The wheel will go into the spare tire hole, and the spare will come out, and itā€™ll be all good.

As for the scratches - I think that the scratches are one issue, but I also ā€œbrokeā€ the wheel well liner itself. That in itself tells you how hard I actually hit the corner. I had to have pushed the corner bumper in hard enough to flex the wheel well liner and break it. The repair is going to be a new corner piece on the bumper + new wheel well liner + installation. For ~$750, thatā€™s pretty great I think.

I absolutely agree about the suspension damage - I was worried that the alignment might be out, or that I might have bent the tie-rod, but everything seems perfect after the hit. While inspecting the damage, I was trying to move the bumper around to see if I broke any structure inside, and its all rock solid.

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
So for someone who lives in a pretty warm climate where it rarely ever snows, but when it does you are royally screwed because it's also in the mountains, what would you recommend I keep in my Rivian? The weather isn't bad enough here in East TN to require dedicated winter tires, but for the one or two times a year it might snow enough would you recommend the auto sock or cables? I think chains are way overkill.

Also would you recommend a set of two for the front or all four because it's 4WD?

OP
OP

diranged

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
So for someone who lives in a pretty warm climate where it rarely ever snows, but when it does you are royally screwed because it's also in the mountains, what would you recommend I keep in my Rivian? The weather isn't bad enough here in East TN to require dedicated winter tires, but for the one or two times a year it might snow enough would you recommend the auto sock or cables? I think chains are way overkill.

Also would you recommend a set of two for the front or all four because it's 4WD?
Let me try to be clear - I think the Rivian is amazing in the snow and wet weather. I think that for _most_ drivers in _most_ situations, itā€™s going to be stable and reliable. I have no qualms about keeping my Rivian - itā€™s by far the most capable and comfortable vehicle Iā€™ve ever owned.

I think the big takeaway is that if you are _regularly_ driving on solid packed snow, something like studded tires will ultimately make sense to help deal with the weight of the truck. But Iā€™d only recommend that for people who spend months at a time driving on snow.

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
I would have left the damage, and use the wheel. Maybe go get it balanced out to be sure its true, but other than that.. I would run it. Wheels get curbed much worse than that, and keep going with no ill affect.

Theres a quote from the movie Cars that I was going to insert here, but cant find it.

Edit: Found it.
Mater: Oh, for a second there I thought you was trying to fix my dents.
Holley Shiftwell: Yes, I was.
Mater: Well then, no thank you. I donā€™t get them dents buffed, pulled, filled or painted by nobody. Theyā€™re way too valuble.
Holley Shiftwell: Your dents are valuble? Really?
Mater: I come by each one of ā€™em with my best friend Lightning McQueen. I donā€™t fix these. I wanna remember these dents forever.

Franksmartin

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
Software
These things are heavy, a dedicated snow tire (even without studs) would have been a big help in this situation. I was a little disappointed with how Rivian seems to believe that the 3 peak all seasons are all you need in the snow. Definitely not true in Vermont or anywhere with icy steep roads.

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Curious..

Why do people think that Studs will help in snow?

Studs will not help in snow, at all... Studs only help in ICE and hard pack traction.
Sponsored