Sponsored

Bummer... no delivery today. Our R1T was damaged during transit.

hed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Raptor, Rivian Reservation 13##
We were scheduled to receive our vehicle today.
The first text I received this morning was from our guide letting us know our truck was damaged during transit. Rear part of truck. Not sure how extensive it was. ETA 'guess' is a couple of weeks. Talk about a bummer.
Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
That really sucks.

How does this work with insurance/financing? Do you technically own the truck already?

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

That really sucks.

How does this work with insurance/financing? Do you technically own the truck already?
According to another thread where someone posted the contract, "it depends".

When it is loaded on to transport for delivery, you take ownership. The vehicle is insured by rivian up until delivery.

So it depends if it was damaged during transport to the service center or for final delivery.

OP
OP
hed

hed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That really sucks.

That's a good question.
I'm assuming it does not affect me as I have not signed anything acknowledging receiving the vehicle. We paid outright for the truck so the financing side of it is not an issue.

Sponsored

chickp

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Audi A7, 1977 Datsun 280z, 2022 Ioniq 5
Occupation
Network Engineer
Looks like a wave of things going wrong during or right before delivery recently.
Hope everything works out fast, the up and down of being so close yet so far is a killer.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Can you reject the truck and ask for another one? I wouldn't want to buy a damaged vehicle listed as new.

MurryR1T

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T delivered 3-24-22
We were scheduled to receive our vehicle today.
The first text I received this morning was from our guide letting us know our truck was damaged during transit. Rear part of truck. Not sure how extensive it was. ETA 'guess' is a couple of weeks. Talk about a bummer.
Damn sorry Bro

Reactions: hed
OP
OP
hed

hed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks all. In the scheme of life it's just a bummer. It could be worse, I could be living in the Ukraine right now.

The guide said it was rear tailgate and light bar, thinks they will replace and not repair. We shall see.

hilld

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Cooper SE, Z4, X1
Can you reject the truck and ask for another one? I wouldn't want to buy a damaged vehicle listed as new.
I think it depends on what is damaged. Many times vehicles are damaged during transit (dents, scratches, etc) and the customer never knows about it as it isn't on delivery day. As long as it didn't fall off the truck and has extensive damage, I would still take it after it was repaired.

Sponsored

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Holy Cow!!! That's terrible news. What is different here is that you are paying in full for the vehicle prior to ever laying eyes on it. Since you have already put your insurance on it, they must have given you the VIN. That being the case, you are already locked to that vehicle on paper, paying for insurance.

If the repair takes a long time, you could also find yourself in another bind with the state. In Florida, once you purchase a vehicle, you have 30 days to register the vehicle and pay the sales tax and tag fees. Failure to do so will cost you an additional penalty.

I would make sure that the Rivian invoice is dated as the actual date of receipt of the vehicle.

Brian

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I can say from personal experience this stuff happens quite often and to all manufacturers. I think the difference here is that Rivian assigns you a ”guide” who actually tells you what happened vs a traditional dealer who doesn’t tell you anything other than your truck isn’t here yet.

That really sucks though - your day had finally come after waiting this long only to find out you have to wait again.

fromSf

First Name
m
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H, 2023 Genesis GV60
Sorry to hear, glad they can replace the parts and no repairs needed.

Reactions: hed

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

I am really curious how this plays out. Rivian has made it pretty clear that you need to send them money before they ship and it is shipped FOB.

https://www.freightquote.com/blog/what-does-fob-mean-in-freight-shipping/

Why does FOB matter?
FOB is important for a number of reasons, but most importantly, shippers and carriers need to understand FOB designations in damage situations. Some receiving docks will refuse delivery of obviously damaged goods, rather than accept with a damage notation for future claim against the carrier. However, a shipment designated FOB Origin technically belongs to the buyer/consignee at the time that it is shipped. So, the consignee would be refusing delivery of goods it legally owns and bears the risk for. The seller has no legal reason to accept those goods back and the return shipment could possibly result in additional damages.

hilld

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Cooper SE, Z4, X1
If it is a tailgate, perhaps you can take delivery without it and have them ship another one from the factory to the service center. At least you can drive your truck.
Sponsored