Bricked

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I read so many stories about cars going "blank" and now it happened to me. It was not as bad as it might have been for some people on the road. Mine bricked when I was cleaning the car in my driveway. Did not wash the exterior-just cleaning interior. I was cleaning the interior and left the driver door open. Probably about 10 minutes. Once done I went inside. Came back a couple of hours later to go somewhere and the car is totally dead. Tried rebooting but nothing works. I always maintain battery level between 20-70%.

Called service and they tried to walk me through rebooting but nothing. They are trying to get a mobile repair out. I was planning on my first road trip Tuesday. Hotels booked etc. I hope Rivian comes through for me before that.

Edit: Thinking through the last few months of ownership and I remembered that the car had thrown off a few warnings a month or so ago. A reboot seemed to have fixed that. Also, I've been heating up the car before I go out in the morning the last few days. Not sure these have anything to do with the current issue but wanted to share.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I hope they get you going quickly. Assuming it’s a 12v battery issue, did you try jumping from the leads near the hitch receiver?

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Maintaining your traction battery between 20 and 70% has nothing to do with your 12V dying

Also your Rivian is not bricked. If you can release the hood you can charge it; 12V leads are near the hitch iirc, to get enough power in to put a proper charge on the battery.

Bricked would be the failed cert update. Your Rivian has a flat 12V which is common enough in all of automobiles.

OP
OP

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I hope they get you going quickly. Assuming it’s a 12v battery issue, did you try jumping from the leads near the hitch receiver?
Thanks mate! They are trying to get a mobile tech out here Monday. Rivian is trying. I am absolutely clueless about this method. It's in the middle of my driveway (ya I'm smart) so I can't get my other car out to jump it.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Thanks mate! They are trying to get a mobile tech out here Monday. Rivian is trying. I am absolutely clueless about this method. It's in the middle of my driveway (ya I'm smart) so I can't get my other car out to jump it.
It’s annoying that you should even have to try jump starting an EV with a charged high voltage battery. I’d send the process from the manual, but with the situation you describe it probably wouldn’t help.

If it makes you feel any better, I’m parked in the middle of our driveway as I’m writing this. :oops: Maybe I should go move it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
It’s annoying that you should even have to try jump starting an EV with a charged high voltage battery. I’d send the process from the manual, but with the situation you describe it probably wouldn’t help.

If it makes you feel any better, I’m parked in the middle of our driveway as I’m writing this. :oops: Maybe I should go move it.
Thanks for the support mate. It could have been much worse if it happened during my planned trip next week. One lesson I learned is to park with enough space to get another car in or out. So, ya you might want to move a bit. Cheers.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
If you're comfortable doing stuff like this, you can manually pop the hood open then charge the 12V batts with a regular battery charger...

Rivian R1T R1S Bricked 1704582683328

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Procedures for jumping 12V battery through leads in port next to hitch receiver starts on P.35:
https://assets.rivian.com/2md5qhoea...7447/R1-tow-operator-guide-en-us-20231010.pdf

Maintaining 20-70% charge pertains to your high voltage battery pack, the one that provides drive to the motors. It doesn't pertain to the 12V battery (or batteries, if yours has two instead one + capacitor in shape of a 12V battery). The 12V system provides power to basic systems (like keyless entry etc.).

OP
OP

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
If you're comfortable doing stuff like this, you can manually pop the hood open then charge the 12V batts with a regular battery charger...
Great instructions but the Rivian is facing the garage and my other car is facing the same directions. I do have a small portable jumper but being brilliant-it's in my other car in my condo 20 miles down the road. I'm a banker that works out a lot. That makes me clueless and prone to breaking stuff. If you need someone to break something-I'm your man. Thanks for trying to help though mate!

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
This stuff always seems to happen right before a trip! It does sound like a simple 12v issue, but terrible timing.

If you have a portable battery charger you could give it a shot charging the 12v following the instructions in the manual. Otherwise I’m sure they will get you fixed up on Monday.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Great instructions but the Rivian is facing the garage and my other car is facing the same directions. I do have a small portable jumper but being brilliant-it's in my other car in my condo 20 miles down the road. I'm a banker that works out a lot. That makes me clueless and prone to breaking stuff. If you need someone to break something-I'm your man. Thanks for trying to help though mate!
No worries.. we all have thing's we're good and not so good at ;)

OP
OP

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
This stuff always seems to happen right before a trip! It does sound like a simple 12v issue, but terrible timing. If you have a portable battery charger you could give it a shot charging the 12v following the instructions in the manual. Otherwise I’m sure they will get you fixed up on Monday.
There are a lot bigger problems in the world. Myles (R1S) will be just fine soon. And then I can get going on the trip. Being as brilliant as I am I left the portable jumper in my other car in my other house. Cheers mate!

OP
OP

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
No worries.. we all have thing's we're good and not so good at ;)
Ya, according to my significant other, I am great at a couple of things and that's about it.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Maintaining your traction battery between 20 and 70% has nothing to do with your 12V dying

Also your Rivian is not bricked. If you can release the hood you can charge it; 12V leads are near the hitch iirc, to get enough power in to put a proper charge on the battery.

Bricked would be the failed cert update. Your Rivian has a flat 12V which is common enough in all of automobiles.
Why would the 12v go flat when there is a massive charged battery sitting underneath that should have jumped in and charged the 12v system?

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
@iansriv .. what is the build date of your R1S, it's on the driver door pillar. If you can't open the door now due to the dead 12V battery,,, when did you take delivery?

Trying to determine if you have the older two 12v battery system or the post March 2023 build single 12V battery system.
Sponsored