Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Based on how Rivian service behaves I think they are more likely quite quitting some customers.
And how.
Sponsored

rpo

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Finance
I did a 100 mile drive in a Model X *from* the Tesla service center after picking up my "fixed" vehicle for the 5th time....at a max speed of 47 MPH. It would not go faster and I had no other way to get home. I thought 47 was bad, but 19 would quadruple the frustration.

Riptide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Frontier
Occupation
Fire & Rescue
Clubs

That's my lay-person assessment too, but if it were that simple:
1) That should have been an easy fix the first time, and
2) why does the vehicle seem to work fine for a while after it goes to sleep (no errors when getting into drive) but a hard reset after an error didn't clear the issue.

A loose connector or similar would be sensed regardless of the state of the vehicle IMHO which is why I think it may be a bit more complex.

I'm sitting in the car now waiting for my tow and all seems fine, even after a quick drive around the block.
Gradual heat buildup near the malfunctioning sensor after a longer drive sounds like a possibility.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Glad to hear you got an update. Sounds like Tesla service. They really will not share much info other than "we were able/unable to duplicate the problem" and "we are still in the process of diagnosing your concern". Tesla gives estimated time of completion but those really don't mean anything....they just keep pushing the car off. Most likely when they extend time of completion by two days I think that basically means service is authorized to spend another two days on it before they have to get more authorization to proceed further.

Unfortunately, service is managed very carefully. The first time someone goes in, if the problem isn't completely obvious (and sometimes even if it is) it will not be duplicated or resolved. They just want to get the car in/out as fast as possible. As you continue to take it back it escalates and they are authorized to spend more time on it and it usually will go to a more senior tech as well. I can't confirm this is how Rivian works...but because they are overloaded...you can bet service is being very closely and carefully managed.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Glad to hear you got an update. Sounds like Tesla service. They really will not share much info other than "we were able/unable to duplicate the problem" and "we are still in the process of diagnosing your concern". Tesla gives estimated time of completion but those really don't mean anything....they just keep pushing the car off. Most likely when they extend time of completion by two days I think that basically means service is authorized to spend another two days on it before they have to get more authorization to proceed further.

Unfortunately, service is managed very carefully. The first time someone goes in, if the problem isn't completely obvious (and sometimes even if it is) it will not be duplicated or resolved. They just want to get the car in/out as fast as possible. As you continue to take it back it escalates and they are authorized to spend more time on it and it usually will go to a more senior tech as well. I can't confirm this is how Rivian works...but because they are overloaded...you can bet service is being very closely and carefully managed.
My concerns they are patterning after Tesla too much. Tesla had only game in town status for a really long time. Rivian already does not, and pretty soon will be one of everybody in town. Many of those others are significantly better than Tesla in the post sale support role....

Sponsored

OP
OP

rivpop

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
CIO
Finally got my R1T back today. Technically it was ready on Saturday but I was out of town and only picked it up this evening.

Diagnosis- this time it appears the Orlando Service Center actually did a diagnosis (compared to last time the Nashville/Franklin service center basically said they couldn't reproduce and returned the vehicle to me without doing anything).

Diagnosis: Faulty Stability Control module. Now I don't know all this module is supposed to do, but in other vehicle this module uses brake and steering data to determine if the vehicle is sliding/skidding etc and cut power and may also initiate braking through the ABS system. This was replaced and at least in my 70 Mike drive home seemed to work. Time will tell.

Definitely better experience in Orlando than in Franklin, TN. Communication still is a sore point for me, but I was at least able to speak with the SC manager in Orlando

Still, it will be some time before I have confidence to take this vehicle on a long trip or anywhere away from easy service.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Excellent glad they got you fixed up! Service will improve with time and become more convenient.
I honestly do wish Rivian would put anticipated dates on future service center locations.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

have had my R1T for 6 months without a single issue. i took it in for some minor issues: body panel adjustment, door handle issue, camp speaker issue and tire rotation. was done in less than a week, which was awesome. on my drive back home got the "brake system malfunction". don't know if its a coincidence or something they did affected the brake system. only thing i can think is that during the tire rotation something happened.

its late in the day so getting it towed in the morning. SC is only 13 miles from me so im tempted to limp there at 19 mph before it closes tonight.
Sponsored