Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Their motors are currently in all Rivian vehicles produced to date. The Rivian in-house motor is called the Enduro motor, and that is expected to go into the dual motor variants of the S and T.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

Their motors are currently in all Rivian vehicles produced to date. The Rivian in-house motor is called the Enduro motor, and that is expected to go into the dual motor variants of the S and T.
Looking forward to the dual motor variants and definitely expect to trade my R1T quad to an R1T dual setup.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I actually know some folks who work at that Bosch facility. They are about to do a huge expansion to start cranking out batteries too.

Sponsored

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
Clubs

I’m curious, why?
Here are a few of my noteworthy reasons:

• We do minimal overlanding and offroading so I have no huge benefit for the quad drive unit setup
  • I don't plan on doing any heavy towing, so again, no need
  • Much of our driving is highway and I would benefit for the slightly lighter vehicle with more range of the dual drive unit setup (hopefully conserve mode will still exist; that 320 could easily peak to 360-380)
  • Quad drive unit setup has twice the likelihood of unit failure
  • I also believe the existing drive units in the quad setup are older technology - the new enduro motors will (hopefully) be more efficient and reliable in the long run, over the existing tech.

jplblue

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Honda Element
Clubs

• We do minimal overlanding and offroading so I have no huge benefit for the quad drive unit setup
  • Much of our driving is highway and I would benefit for the slightly lighter vehicle with more range of the dual drive unit setup (hopefully conserve mode will still exist; that 320 could easily peak to 360-380)
  • I also believe the existing drive units in the quad setup are older technology - the new enduro motors will (hopefully) be more efficient and reliable in the long run, over the existing tech.
Hope this doesn't come off wrong, but why did you decide to get an R1T?

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Rivian expanded Normal in part for Enduro production. Give me Bosch motors. I would also like a Bosch automatic tonneau and a Bosch kitchen. My existing all Bosch kitchen is excellent but not particuarly portable.

Bosch should also be great at developing a winch

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
Clubs

At pre-order pricing, it was more of an investment into the ecosystem. At this time, I wouldn't buy an R1T or R1S quad motor at today's pricing.

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35

In all respect I’m not sure any of those reasons hold up. For example, if an enduro goes out you lose power to two wheels not one, so the equivalent of losing two motors. Also, new motors might be judged more likely to fail, being an all-new unproven design, verses a motor where 80,000 are functioning excellently in the wild (20,000 vehicles * 4 motors). Also torque vectoring helps every time you make a turn, not just off-roading or towing.

Anyhow, just some thoughts.

Sponsored

maverick92

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Occupation
Project Management
I’m curious, why?
I can’t answer for the OP, but I plan to do the same for the better efficiency of the dual motor setup + Max pack when it’s released.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

agree with you. some of the other benefits will/might be 800v architecture, V2H/V2V charging, heat pump, sun shade, and hopefully many of the "common" issues/complaints were seeing being addressed.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
In all respect I’m not sure any of those reasons hold up. For example, if an enduro goes out you lose power to two wheels not one, so the equivalent of losing two motors. Also, new motors might be judged more likely to fail, being an all-new unproven design, verses a motor where 80,000 are functioning excellently in the wild (20,000 vehicles * 4 motors). Also torque vectoring helps every time you make a turn, not just off-roading or towing.

Tesla was forced into building their own motors because the good motor manufacturers refused to work with them. Tesla did a pretty good job of covering up the many motor failures in the first few years of Model S production. But being forced to build motors eventually worked out well for Tesla.

I drive fast but a five second vehicle is plenty good enough for me. I would not order quad motors as an upgrade.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
Clubs

Responding line by line:

"For example, if an enduro goes out you lose power to two wheels not one, so the equivalent of losing two motors."​

What you don't seem to realize is when an existing drive unit fails on an R1T or R1S, it kills power to the entire axle. We've seen this before; users have had a drive-unit failure in the front, and the Rivian software will also shut down power to the axle-paired side. So that point is moot.

"Also, new motors might be judged more likely to fail, being an all-new unproven design, verses a motor where 80,000 are functioning excellently in the wild (20,000 vehicles * 4 motors)."​

I have to disagree here. Rivian will be using technology in the new enduro motor that is more modern and bleeding-edge, meaning we will see many other companies and industries using similar electric motor technology. The same could be argued about the current motor used in the quad drive unit setup, however we know that technology is older and will be inherently less efficient. As technology becomes more developed, we know these few strategies hold true: make it more efficient, make it easier to manufacture, and manufacture it for less. Yes I'm sure the enduro motors will be cheaper to manufacturer from a labor perspective, but there will be more parts and materials involved to build the unit. Again, going back to using more bleeding-edge tech, versus legacy tech. Also, 80,000 units in production usage isn't a lot. We can rehash that comment when Rivian has 250,000-500,000 drive units actively being used.

"Also torque vectoring helps every time you make a turn, not just off-roading or towing."​

Torque vectoring is great when you're pushing the vehicle to it's limits around tight corners and banks in the road. I'm sure a marginal percentage of owners will be doing this - particularly the people like the owner who took their R1S to Summit Point. I don't plan on driving my Rivian in anything higher than a street-spirited fashion - torque vectoring is moot to me.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
For me....I love the quad motor. (This whole debate just shows we all have different wants and needs in our trucks).

I don't really care about 800v...for my use...rarely charge anywhere but home at level 2.

Don't care about powering my house from my truck...whatever that is called. My power from utility is very reliable.

In theory 2 motors is less to break, but probably means they will do likely do torque vectoring with brakes, and that means brake wear. Also means more mechanical parts and bearings, etc... also maybe a maintenance item needing fluid changes. But two motors...from scratch...get ready for all the "early adopter tax" comments from all those types on forums. Durability of 2 vs 4 motors will come completely down to the engineering and execution and manufacturing of each. Not simply if there are 2 or 4 motors.

And efficiency...not sure it will make much difference, unless they aren't using PM motors. Still need to disconnect either front or back to get rid of parasitic motor loss. Most is aero efficiency and tires..I think?

Unless...it means 1200hp....then I am all in on a dual motor monster. Sign me up for that!
Sponsored