Boat Ramp holding R1T?

Dennis Wick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
engineer retired
I'm preparing to tow my boat for the first time with my R1T. I'm somewhat nervous regarding the truck holding the boat and trailer on a steep angle while I prepare for launch. All we have is that little "P" button. No emergency brake. Anyone have expirence with this? I'm sure Rivian has thought of this and its probably fine, just thought I would ask the question.
thanks, Dennis

Rivian R1T R1S Boat Ramp holding R1T? IMG_5443
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

P engages the parking brake, which is on the rear tires. As long as the ramp isn't super algae covered it should be okay.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
P engages the parking brake, which is on the rear tires. As long as the ramp isn't super algae covered it should be okay.
This. Though a snot slick ramp makes me nervous in any rig. I typically carry sand during the summer, helps when launching/retrieving solo with algae on concrete ramps.

Last edited:

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
If your trailer is like mine... a float on type bunk trailer...... back down most of the way, stop, then unhook the winch strap before the truck rear tires hit the slimy section of the ramp. I figure if the worst happens and the rig starts sliding downhill- when the boat has enough water to float it will automatically unload all it's weight off the trailer and that would stop the truck from slipping down any further (hopefully). If it's a roller trailer, of course you have to wait till the boat has enough water to safely float before disconnecting the winch strap.

OP
OP
Dennis Wick

Dennis Wick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
engineer retired
If your trailer is like mine... a float on type bunk trailer...... back down most of the way, stop, then unhook the winch strap before the truck rear tires hit the slimy section of the ramp. I figure if the worst happens and the rig starts sliding downhill- when the boat has enough water to float it will automatically unload all it's weight off the trailer and that would stop the truck from slipping down any further (hopefully). If it's a roller trailer, of course you have to wait till the boat has enough water to safely float before disconnecting the winch strap.
I have a "KING" roller trailer with my 19ft. Glasply. If I unhook it at the top of the ramp and try backing down to the water its gone. has to be in the water when I unhook, It still takes off the trailer even when I do that. About 3500 total lbs. I think. I'm just a little nervous on the first try. hoping the rivian holds on a 20% grade?

Rivian R1T R1S Boat Ramp holding R1T? IMG_3750

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
^ yeah, roller trailers "launch" as soon as you disconnect from the winch strap.

The good thing is your truck is 7,000 lbs... so that's lots of weight to hold those wheels down!!

Best of luck with it... but I don't think it will be a problem.

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
My dad -- who always drove a manual transmission -- never trusted parking brakes on a boat ramp and I've inherited that concern from him. I usually have a designated driver in the car with their foot on the brake to ensure the car will hold as needed.

My dad also used Trailer Chocks that you can place behind one of the front wheels of the tow vehicle. You can also attach a rope to some so an assistant can pull the chock away from the tow vehicle as it moves up the ramp. For reference, here's a sample off Amazon.

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
What is the concern relative to any other vehicle? I imagine that compared to many (older) vehicles which had a separate parking or emergency brake caliper that that R1T clamping the rear service brakes would be MORE secure.

Does the R1T have a gearbox parking pawl? That's the only thing I could imagine being missing relative to other vehicles.

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
My dad -- who always drove a manual transmission -- never trusted parking brakes on a boat ramp and I've inherited that concern from him. I usually have a designated driver in the car with their foot on the brake to ensure the car will hold as needed.
Yeah, that concern stems from the era when the "parking" or "emergency" brake was a separate mechanical system comprised of a cable that either pulled on the drum pads, or was attached to a completely separate (and very small) caliper in the case of rear disk brakes. The wire cable was very prone to stretching or breaking, making failure to hold the vehicle very common.

New vehicles with electronic parking brakes usually use the service brake calipers and are MUCH stronger and more reliable.

Sponsored

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Yeah, that concern stems from the era when the "parking" or "emergency" brake was a separate mechanical system comprised of a cable that either pulled on the drum pads, or was attached to a completely separate (and very small) caliper in the case of rear disk brakes. The wire cable was very prone to stretching or breaking, making failure to hold the vehicle very common.

New vehicles with electronic parking brakes usually use the service brake calipers and are MUCH stronger and more reliable.
Yup. And I think the other concern is that the parking brake may only stop the rear tires, which are the tires in the water on the slippery ramp, so if you lose rear traction then you'll keep sliding down because the fronts aren't locked. Whereas a driver in the seat hitting the brakes would also be locking up the front brakes where you do have better traction.

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Yup. And I think the other concern is that the parking brake may only stop the rear tires, which are the tires in the water on the slippery ramp, so if you lose rear traction then you'll keep sliding down because the fronts aren't locked. Whereas a driver in the seat hitting the brakes would also be locking up the front brakes where you do have better traction.
Yeah, that’s partly why I was curious if the R1T has any sort of parking pawl that would lock all the wheels when in park.

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Rivian R1T LE (delivered 6/28/22)
Occupation
Retired
I launch my boat with no problems, easier than the Silverado. Boat is a Boston Whaler 235 Conquest with a Mercury Verado 250, dry weight about 4500, so with 120 gallons of gas and gear, plus the 1500 pound trailer, so figure 7000+ pounds….press park and it sticks!

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
This guy has you covered. You can sell your boat and trailer.

You’re welcome.

Rivian R1T R1S Boat Ramp holding R1T? 0DDF9419-2793-48BC-A855-585BF9FF9E6F

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
You will be fine just pressing the park button. In all my years of towing a boat I've never applied the emergency brake when at the ramp, that's both freshwater and saltwater. Unless you dry launch your boat (how we do in the saltwater world to prevent the hubs getting dunked) most the weight of the boat will be gone as it's semi floating there. Keep in mind that the Rivian has electric motors resisting turning as well as mechanical brakes.

If anything I would be more concerned about climbing back up a slick ramp in the Rivian since they have so much torque and no low gear.
Sponsored