LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Ordering a 2021 BMW X5 Xdrive45e plug-in hybrid to enjoy while wating for Rivian to be deep into reservation deliveries. I reserved mine only a couple months ago putting me a bit past 30,000 reservations if I'm interpreting the data right. I know that Rivian is "for real" and these amazing truck and SUV will be seen on the road sometime next year. Realistically, I don't expect to be near a production queue until 2023 sometime, if things go well.

Researched options and I feel this all-new for 2021 BMW X5 plug-in hybrid represents the present state-of-the-art when you're not wanting a full, all-electric EV. Pairs BMW's venerable, buttery smooth 3.0-liter straight 6 engine with electric motor packaged into the eight-speed Steptronic transmission. Glad to say it's assembled in USA (Spartanburg, South Carolina).
  • all-electric range 31 miles EPA with reviewers achieving 40+ actual e-miles
  • Battery capacity 24.0 kWh battery
  • fuel economy 50 MPGe combined City/Hwy
  • 3.0l turbo straight 6-cyl gas engine (286 hp), electric motor (steady 50kW/68 hp, peak 83kW/114 hp)
  • system output: 390 hp and 444 lb-ft torque
  • 0-60 mph in 5.3 seconds, all-electric up to 84 mph, top-speed 155 mph (restricted)
  • all-wheel drive, self-leveling air suspension standard equipment
  • rated for 7,200 lbs of towing
This will be my first electric (assisted) vehicle of any kind. Figured it would be a nice introduction enjoying the benefits of a plug-in hybrid (fed tax credit, solo driver in commuter lane) along with free charging stations at my employer and residence in CA.

My selection is $73,350 MSRP with full leather (coffee brown) interior, driving and parking "professional assistance" packages, tow hitch and few other goodies.

Interested in this educated forum community's thoughts.

Rivian R1T R1S BMW X5-Xdrive45e Plug-in Hybrid while I wait for Rivian X5 Manhattan Green Metallic_frontisoview

Rivian R1T R1S BMW X5-Xdrive45e Plug-in Hybrid while I wait for Rivian Interior2
Sponsored

Last edited:

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Looks to be a really nice choice! Did you consider the Tesla Model Y as an option at all? Curious to hear why you didn’t want a full EV yet.

OP
OP
LoneStar

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Looks to be a really nice choice! Did you consider the Tesla Model Y as an option at all? Curious to hear why you didn’t want a full EV yet.
You can say I wanted to "cut my teeth" on a hybrid so I can enjoy lots of electric-only trips but still have the confidence of knowing that engine is there to go where I want, when I want, and as far as I want. My daily commute and weekend routines rarely exceed 30-40 miles in a day. So this BMW X5 can run on pure electrons most of the time. And when I want a sportier driving experience the reviewers all rave about how seamlessly the electric motor is integrated within the drivetrain. I considered the Lincoln Aviator (Grand Touring) that is very similarly equipped on paper. But the reviews almost unanimously berated how clumsy and clunky is the petrol-to-electric transition.

And while the X5 is a very civil SUV it does come with near 9" ground clearance with air suspension fully raised and decent towing capability. So it offers more versatility for mild overland excursions with a mid-level trailer - likely needing better all-terrain tires.

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
Looks nice! How soon do you get to take delivery?

Keep us posted on your impressions.

OP
OP
LoneStar

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Looks nice! How soon do you get to take delivery?
They are available on BMW lots already. Had to order mine since I'm picky with my preferences (for that much money), and I want the Manhattan Green with the coffee brown leather. Really hard to find. Autotrader had 1 like it in the US on the East coast. Like all BMW's it seems, if you want Black, White or a shade of Gray there are many to pick from. This available green metallic shade had less than a dozen across the country almost all with black leather (again, very common).

Local dealership said it takes only 5-7 weeks typically for a customer-ordered config to arrive since the X5 is assembled in America. So should see it by Halloween!

And I will gladly post impressions. Perhaps some first-person driving clips and tech highlight short videos.

Sponsored

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I don't think it will take anywhere near 2023 for Rivian to get through their backlog of preorders. You'd probably be looking at mid 2022 at worst. However, there is an advantage to being able to sit out of the initial teething issues and make sure the company is viable long-term before making a commitment. This looks like a nice option for a full size SUV if you aren't ready to make the leap to a full EV yet. My only reservation would be once you get a taste for a plug-in you may find yourself wanting to upgrade to a full EV in short order, meaning likely taking a major deprecation hit on a vehicle like this.

OP
OP
LoneStar

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

The potential for a big depreciation hit is very real. Most likely scenario is keeping this BMW and getting the R1T (or 2nd gen) in about five years. If that means passing up my reservation slot then so be it. As said, if Rivian is real then it will be here for many years to come. Buying later avoids any early build pitfalls or forbid corporate longevity issues.

In all honesty, if I could obtain the new for 2021 Toyota RAV4 "PRIME" plug-in hybrid with all the bells & whistles for under $50k then I would do so instead. Yes, that's a ton of cash for a RAV4 but it gets 50 miles or more easily on electric-drive only with an astonishing EPA rated 95 MPGe. But Toyota is suffering big-time with Covid delays and limitations on production in Japan with suppliers. None are expected to be in-stock until well into Q1 next year. Those limited few in-transit to US are spoken for or going to local dealer reservation lists dozens of names long. Worse is seeing some dealers asking +$10K mark-up! Not going to pay near $60k for a RAV4 instead of this BMW X5 version for less than $20k more.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I'm definitely interested to hear your review & details after you take delivery. Keep us posted!

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Ordering a 2021 BMW X5 Xdrive45e plug-in hybrid to enjoy while wating for Rivian to be deep into reservation deliveries. I reserved mine only a couple months ago putting me a bit past 30,000 reservations if I'm interpreting the data right. I know that Rivian is "for real" and these amazing truck and SUV will be seen on the road sometime next year. Realistically, I don't expect to be near a production queue until 2023 sometime, if things go well.

Researched options and I feel this all-new for 2021 BMW X5 plug-in hybrid represents the present state-of-the-art when you're not wanting a full, all-electric EV. Pairs BMW's venerable, buttery smooth 3.0-liter straight 6 engine with electric motor packaged into the eight-speed Steptronic transmission. Glad to say it's assembled in USA (Spartanburg, South Carolina).
  • all-electric range 31 miles EPA with reviewers achieving 40+ actual e-miles
  • Battery capacity 24.0 kWh battery
  • fuel economy 50 MPGe combined City/Hwy
  • 3.0l turbo straight 6-cyl gas engine (286 hp), electric motor (steady 50kW/68 hp, peak 83kW/114 hp)
  • system output: 390 hp and 444 lb-ft torque
  • 0-60 mph in 5.3 seconds, all-electric up to 84 mph, top-speed 155 mph (restricted)
  • all-wheel drive, self-leveling air suspension standard equipment
  • rated for 7,200 lbs of towing
This will be my first electric (assisted) vehicle of any kind. Figured it would be a nice introduction enjoying the benefits of a plug-in hybrid (fed tax credit, solo driver in commuter lane) along with free charging stations at my employer and residence in CA.

My selection is $73,350 MSRP with full leather (coffee brown) interior, driving and parking "professional assistance" packages, tow hitch and few other goodies.

Interested in this educated forum community's thoughts.

X5 Manhattan Green Metallic_frontisoview.jpg

Interior2.png
Amazing it even comes in Launch Green! I wonder if it has Apple Car Play and Android Auto. HAHA sorry I couldn't resist... clearly i've read to many posts. Nice choice though.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I leased a X5e a few years ago for a great price. I was able to get 19 miles of electric only range which was just enough to get me to work where I could charge. I charged again when I got home.

I did like the car but after driving Volts for five years I got a little tired of plugging it in twice a day just for my short commute. I also wished BMW had a faster charger option as I needed to wait 3+ hours for each charge.

SIDE note - I was able to squeeze 1700 miles out of a tank of gas once with careful planning and lots of charging!!

Sponsored

MW_Riley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1974 Land Cruiser 2000 Land Cruiser 2009 Ducati Sport Classic 1000S 2011Ducati StreetfighterS
Very cool. I’ve been looking at going in the opposite direction. Lexus LC500

I’m afraid of falling in love with the car, otherwise I would’ve already pulled the trigger.
Rivian R1T R1S BMW X5-Xdrive45e Plug-in Hybrid while I wait for Rivian 607889CE-C2EB-452A-B913-2B7F087611DA

MisterTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 745e
I have the 745e. I love it, but was mad that it didn't have more electric miles as the X5 has. The 2019 7 series got 15 miles electric so the 2020 model I have promised to have "a lot more," but they didn't reveal the number until after I ordered it and it was 16 miles... The combined MPG is around 40 for me, but my battery runs out VERY quick.

ARegularGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 40e, VW Atlas
Occupation
FanBoi
You made a good choice! In my opinion. And my opinion is based on me having, as a daily driver, a 2018 X5 40e.

I am likely to upgrade this year to the one you are purchasing, an x5 45e. For the larger ICE engine and larger battery.

So here is what I can tell you. In no particular order.

No one will know you have a hybrid. Its just an x5 to the world. Doesn't go in much for any EV showiness. If that's important you you. Even with mine having the blue grill (was a special option on the showroom demo I bought) and the other blue accents sprinkled around the car, no one notices unless I forget to fully close the charge port. I did debadge mine of any logo of any kind, not just the BMW badges, but the EV badges too. So maybe that also is part of it. The new generation (yours) has some new, gawd-awful badge on the charger port cover so maybe you get some recognition there (if you want it) but since its so gawd-awful I'd debadge that if possible. I'd rip it the effe off if I were you, it looks so hideous ("Pick-Me!") in the pictures.

My battery is rated something like 15 miles. Maybe 16? Dunno. But in summer I can get about 20 miles pure electric. Winter, like January/February? about 13-14 miles. You're in SoCal so shouldn't be an issue for you, but if you come to Jerz in January you can expect it to be an issue.

I average about combined 36-37 mph. I've had the car about 3 years and 45K miles. But that is dependent on how you drive. For me, my commute to work is about 23 miles. So I have it in EV as I get from house to main federal highways and up to about 65-70 mph then switch to gas and "save" option in Eco mode. I switch back to EV on inclines in the highway, but otherwise save mode until I get off the fed highways and put back into electric when get onto a state highway then county road then local roads and park it at my office. Usually have run battery down to about 10% by then. In other words I run electric until at cruising speed (65+ mph). I plug in at work (its only a 110v/15a plug so should be easy to find an outdoor outlet behind bushes or somewhere....) and it is fully charged again within about 6-7 hours. With your bigger battery you wouldn't get a full charge in an 8 hour workday from 110v/15a charging but should get back half the battery's capacity? When I only do my commute to work and back I get closer to 45mpg, even 50mpg when traffic light (ahem...COVID). But due to other driving and regular drives farther away, the overall effect is about 36-37mpg for me.

My older version of x5 40e has a 21 gallon gas tank (or thereabouts) so if I'm always careful to charge and don't do much driving long distances I was down to filling gas tank only every 4 weeks. Your gas tank is smaller (17 gallons?) but you battery is bigger, so.....

You don't give up any room for the battery. Well, under the rear trunk floor there is an empty space on non Hybrid X5's, we lose that, but that wasn't useful much anyway. Being under the floor and all. Point is that other than the battery taking mild space form less useful part of trunk, there is no loss in our X5 from a full ICE X5. Well, no 3rd row due to that trunk thing as well if you wanted a third row option. In fact, since its a hybrid BMW gives us the air suspension for "free" as part of hybrid package. Which is a nice bump up from a full ICE X5.

Yes, you can race a civic-S or Golf GTI or etc. with full ICE and electric assist. In fact, yours would be better since you're getting the turbo 6 and mine only the turbo 4. The air suspension helps in any turns. But once you race them once or twice you figure why bother....

Overall, you're likely to want to play between all ICE/all electric. The car lets you switch in between, at will. There's two basic functions to play with. There is the sport/comfort/eco modes which control mainly the wheel regenerative assist function but also engine mapping. For me it is a button on the gear selector tunnel near your knees, closer to the dash. There is then the auto/electric/save mode which lets you toggle between all ICE (save mode) all electric (electric mode) or let the car choose (auto mode). This is done by way of controller knob, also on the gear selector tunnel, but farther back near the storage compartment. Your hand will learn their positions well as you learn to switch back and forth, or not, for maximum effect. For me (and maybe they remapped this for yours?) basically auto mode means the car uses all electric until its gone, except for higher speed or high load needs like inclines. Because its seems electric first I try to avoid it so I can use the battery how I want.

For me the car will not use any EV above 75mph. For you you I think they raised it to 80 or 85 mph.

I bought mine to (1) maximize the tax deductions offered as a business car (since GVWR is 6000+ it qualifies for the special depreciation rates under the IRS code), (2) for the EV credits, (3) but also to test proof of concept. I have to say the proof is there. It works. It works well. So much so that I'm ready for a full EV or at least a larger battery plug in hybrid like the new X5 which you are buying. Because of the smaller battery my EV credits were only $6000 or maybe 6500, with your bigger battery you should get the full 7500

The Range Rover, Porsche, Volvo, and a couple others I can't recall (Lincoln aviator?) still use the approximate battery size I have - meaning about 15miles all electric). So you are getting a big step up and it will work well for you. It is the only thing I'm missing, a bigger battery. I like having the gas option for when I have to drive to Philly or Baltimore or Boston. I guess that's similar to going to LA for you? Nice to have both. But I would be willing to go full EV now that the infrastructure is a bit better for charging.

Enjoy!

Update/Edit just to make clear. I have a Rivian R1S reservation, but like the original poster I am lower down the list so unlikely to take delivery until (my guess) 2023. So this is why I'm likely to trade by 2018 x5 40e for a 2021 x5 45e. If the Rivian comes sooner, well the wife's VW Atlas will be ready for replacement .....

Last edited:

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
OP, really impressed with this Bimmer's specs. We've had multiple trucks and uber SUV's in the family stable, but had previously not been able to acquire a BMW due to lack of tow capacity. That plus the combined MPG and more than capable BMW heritage make this one really appealing. Interested to hear how she goes for you.

Richbot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
The 45e powertrain is pretty awesome. I read on the X5 forums people routinely beat the EV range estimates. Makes sense with 111hp it's not exactly going to encourage cruising at high highway speeds in EV mode, and it doesn't really let you use all 24kwh.
Sponsored