BMW X5-Xdrive45e Plug-in Hybrid while I wait for Rivian

LoneStar

Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Toy 4Runner
Occupation
Engineer
Ordering a 2021 BMW X5 Xdrive45e plug-in hybrid to enjoy while wating for Rivian to be deep into reservation deliveries. I reserved mine only a couple months ago putting me a bit past 30,000 reservations if I'm interpreting the data right. I know that Rivian is "for real" and these amazing truck and SUV will be seen on the road sometime next year. Realistically, I don't expect to be near a production queue until 2023 sometime, if things go well.

Researched options and I feel this all-new for 2021 BMW X5 plug-in hybrid represents the present state-of-the-art when you're not wanting a full, all-electric EV. Pairs BMW's venerable, buttery smooth 3.0-liter straight 6 engine with electric motor packaged into the eight-speed Steptronic transmission. Glad to say it's assembled in USA (Spartanburg, South Carolina).
  • all-electric range 31 miles EPA with reviewers achieving 40+ actual e-miles
  • Battery capacity 24.0 kWh battery
  • fuel economy 50 MPGe combined City/Hwy
  • 3.0l turbo straight 6-cyl gas engine (286 hp), electric motor (steady 50kW/68 hp, peak 83kW/114 hp)
  • system output: 390 hp and 444 lb-ft torque
  • 0-60 mph in 5.3 seconds, all-electric up to 84 mph, top-speed 155 mph (restricted)
  • all-wheel drive, self-leveling air suspension standard equipment
  • rated for 7,200 lbs of towing
This will be my first electric (assisted) vehicle of any kind. Figured it would be a nice introduction enjoying the benefits of a plug-in hybrid (fed tax credit, solo driver in commuter lane) along with free charging stations at my employer and residence in CA.

My selection is $73,350 MSRP with full leather (coffee brown) interior, driving and parking "professional assistance" packages, tow hitch and few other goodies.

Interested in this educated forum community's thoughts.

X5 Manhattan Green Metallic_frontisoview.jpg

Interior2.png

Last edited:

sevengroove

Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Cooper S (2 door)
Looks to be a really nice choice! Did you consider the Tesla Model Y as an option at all? Curious to hear why you didn’t want a full EV yet.

OP
LoneStar

LoneStar

Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Toy 4Runner
Occupation
Engineer
Looks to be a really nice choice! Did you consider the Tesla Model Y as an option at all? Curious to hear why you didn’t want a full EV yet.
You can say I wanted to "cut my teeth" on a hybrid so I can enjoy lots of electric-only trips but still have the confidence of knowing that engine is there to go where I want, when I want, and as far as I want. My daily commute and weekend routines rarely exceed 30-40 miles in a day. So this BMW X5 can run on pure electrons most of the time. And when I want a sportier driving experience the reviewers all rave about how seamlessly the electric motor is integrated within the drivetrain. I considered the Lincoln Aviator (Grand Touring) that is very similarly equipped on paper. But the reviews almost unanimously berated how clumsy and clunky is the petrol-to-electric transition.

And while the X5 is a very civil SUV it does come with near 9" ground clearance with air suspension fully raised and decent towing capability. So it offers more versatility for mild overland excursions with a mid-level trailer - likely needing better all-terrain tires.

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas, Isuzu Amigo, Kioti tractor
Looks nice! How soon do you get to take delivery?

Keep us posted on your impressions.

OP
LoneStar

LoneStar

Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Toy 4Runner
Occupation
Engineer
Looks nice! How soon do you get to take delivery?
They are available on BMW lots already. Had to order mine since I'm picky with my preferences (for that much money), and I want the Manhattan Green with the coffee brown leather. Really hard to find. Autotrader had 1 like it in the US on the East coast. Like all BMW's it seems, if you want Black, White or a shade of Gray there are many to pick from. This available green metallic shade had less than a dozen across the country almost all with black leather (again, very common).

Local dealership said it takes only 5-7 weeks typically for a customer-ordered config to arrive since the X5 is assembled in America. So should see it by Halloween!

And I will gladly post impressions. Perhaps some first-person driving clips and tech highlight short videos.

timf

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
I don't think it will take anywhere near 2023 for Rivian to get through their backlog of preorders. You'd probably be looking at mid 2022 at worst. However, there is an advantage to being able to sit out of the initial teething issues and make sure the company is viable long-term before making a commitment. This looks like a nice option for a full size SUV if you aren't ready to make the leap to a full EV yet. My only reservation would be once you get a taste for a plug-in you may find yourself wanting to upgrade to a full EV in short order, meaning likely taking a major deprecation hit on a vehicle like this.

OP
LoneStar

LoneStar

Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Toy 4Runner
Occupation
Engineer
The potential for a big depreciation hit is very real. Most likely scenario is keeping this BMW and getting the R1T (or 2nd gen) in about five years. If that means passing up my reservation slot then so be it. As said, if Rivian is real then it will be here for many years to come. Buying later avoids any early build pitfalls or forbid corporate longevity issues.

In all honesty, if I could obtain the new for 2021 Toyota RAV4 "PRIME" plug-in hybrid with all the bells & whistles for under $50k then I would do so instead. Yes, that's a ton of cash for a RAV4 but it gets 50 miles or more easily on electric-drive only with an astonishing EPA rated 95 MPGe. But Toyota is suffering big-time with Covid delays and limitations on production in Japan with suppliers. None are expected to be in-stock until well into Q1 next year. Those limited few in-transit to US are spoken for or going to local dealer reservation lists dozens of names long. Worse is seeing some dealers asking +$10K mark-up! Not going to pay near $60k for a RAV4 instead of this BMW X5 version for less than $20k more.

skyote

Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps & 2500HD Duramax
I'm definitely interested to hear your review & details after you take delivery. Keep us posted!