Sponsored

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
Covid was a convenient excuse to delay. Just what they needed to delay more.
I can honestly not tell if you are just trolling everyone, or being honest.....
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Covid was a convenient excuse to delay. Just what they needed to delay more.
Don’t quite know how to respond to that statement.... I guess it was a convenient excuse for all of the businesses that had to permanently close as well.

I have to assume you and your family were fortunate to be minimally impacted but their are a lot of people who did not fair so well.

Best wishes to all and hope for a speedy recovery for both the fortunate and those who did not fair so well. I’m sure many of them wish that a delay of a Rivian was their biggest concern.

Last edited:

Whataboykie!

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

Other plants and factories were minimally impacted. Tesla was forced to shut down for a few weeks, but defied the county and started back up. Rivian used Covid to delay for 6 months or more. From promised delivery in early 2021 to June and August 2021. No other auto maker delayed their startup for 6 months!

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Other plants and factories were minimally impacted. Tesla was forced to shut down for a few weeks, but defied the county and started back up. Rivian used Covid to delay for 6 months or more. From promised delivery in early 2021 to June and August 2021. No other auto maker delayed their startup for 6 months!
No other automaker was trying to startup during this time - except maybe Lucid who also wound up pushing deliveries back.

Running a production line vs undertaking a major construction project renovating and outfitting a huge plant are two very different things. Importing and installing machinery from worldwide suppliers was definitely impacted.
This is while simultaneously working to to develop and test new and unproven products.

Would there have been a delay anyway (which is apparently your point)? Possibly, but this is not something we can ever know. They certainly did did not keep working as they would have, so the timeline was definitely affected by COVID and wasn't "just an excuse" to delay.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
*checks calendar and googles for CT prototype redesign unveil - so... do you think the Cybertruck isn't looking at a significant delay then?

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
*checks calendar and googles for CT prototype redesign unveil - so... do you think the Cybertruck isn't looking at a significant delay then?
I would think there is going to be significant delays for the CT.

I heard they are way behind deliveries for the reworked Model S and Model X because of chip shortages. These should be minimal changes compared to an all new CT.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

(continues)
Jeff: Actually, one more favor.
RJ: What's that?
Jeff: I'm going to need your VIN 001 R1T. It's going on a rather adventurous trip and it's going to break some records.
RJ: What records? When will we get it back?
Jeff: I'm hoping for fastest EV and largest EV payload to exit earth's atmosphere. And, um, you won't be getting it back unfortunately. It's going interstellar.
RJ: I see. No thanks. We'd rather have the $75K revenue.
Jeff: Why? This will be such great PR.
RJ: I don't need more PR. Have you seen Rivian's Stories? We've got at least 1,000 fanboys on at least one forum. And more importantly, I've got an IPO to manage.
Continued....

RJ: Hey Jeff, I have an alternate idea for your launch.

Jeff: I'm listening...

RJ: Remember those 1,000 fanboys I mentioned from the Forum?

Jeff: Of course I do! They're AWESOME!

RJ: Well, based on their feedback, I want to honor each of them by sending one R1S 20-inch wheel for each of them out into the Universe with their name engraved on it. Nice, huh?

Jeff: Uh, sure, but at $1,800 each, wouldn't it be a helluva lot cheaper and easier to just send out one R1T into space with all of their names on it? For that matter, send an R1S as well. Do 'em both in Launch Green, just to piss off Elon!

RJ: While that would be fun to show up Elon, my people would not be happy with me knowing two of the vehicles they've been waiting for for years were sacrificed, even as a jab at a guy who calls the Model X an SUV.

Jeff: But they won't be pissed about 1,000 wheels being wasted?!

RJ: Nope. Not pissed, not missed.....

Whataboykie!

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

They haven't even built the factory yet! So what's your point?

Whataboykie!

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

No other automaker was trying to startup during this time - except maybe Lucid who also wound up pushing deliveries back.

Running a production line vs undertaking a major construction project renovating and outfitting a huge plant are two very different things. Importing and installing machinery from worldwide suppliers was definitely impacted.
This is while simultaneously working to to develop and test new and unproven products.

Would there have been a delay anyway (which is apparently your point)? Possibly, but this is not something we can ever know. They certainly did did not keep working as they would have, so the timeline was definitely affected by COVID and wasn't "just an excuse" to delay.
Funny but Tesla built 2 Giga factories in less time it took Rivian to convert their "small" plant! It certainly wasn't for a lack of money.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Funny but Tesla built 2 Giga factories in less time it took Rivian to convert their "small" plant! It certainly wasn't for a lack of money.
Point is CT has had similar delays and will likely reach customers after all LE customers have their R1's. Lucid is another prime example of having delays. Most BEV startup Nikola, Fisker, Canoo, etc.. will likely Never reach mass production. So excuses aside it looks like Rivian has done the best out of any new release of a BEV truck or SUV.
Tesla has put up tremendous numbers for the 3 and Y during the past few years which is commendable they are just not Trucks and SUV's.

Sponsored

Jsidell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T
Okay I’m having a hard time understanding the point you’re trying to make here with your rhetoric...

We can all agree that we’re eager and excited for deliveries to start..
But if you’re just frustrated with the timeline Rivian is on and growing impatient with a lack of information, then you’ve got lots of friends here that would agree with you..

But citing a pandemic that’s killed 550k+ Americans over the last year as an “excuse” Rivian has taken advantage of, is borderline insensitive.

If you want to continue to sing Tesla’s praises for their Gigafactories and the minimal Cybertruck accomplishments, while also complaining about the money that Rivian has spent on real-world testing a vehicle that (I think?) you want to spend $75k+ on, then I think there are plenty of Tesla Fanboys in their forums who would cheer you on...

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Okay I’m having a hard time understanding the point you’re trying to make here with your rhetoric...

We can all agree that we’re eager and excited for deliveries to start..
But if you’re just frustrated with the timeline Rivian is on and growing impatient with a lack of information, then you’ve got lots of friends here that would agree with you..

But citing a pandemic that’s killed 550k+ Americans over the last year as an “excuse” Rivian has taken advantage of, is borderline insensitive.

If you want to continue to sing Tesla’s praises for their Gigafactories and the minimal Cybertruck accomplishments, while also complaining about the money that Rivian has spent on real-world testing a vehicle that (I think?) you want to spend $75k+ on, then I think there are plenty of Tesla Fanboys in their forums who would cheer you on...
I'm curious what 2 Giga Factories they are referring to.

The first one took 24 months to open 14% (2014 - 2016) of the planned factory and expected to complete the build out by 2020, according to the Tesla site it is about 30% complete now.

Giga factory 2 took from 2014 to 2017 to build (actually owned by the State of New Your)

Giga Factory 3 took a year to build and opened in 2019 (built in China, much less red tape to cut through)

The other 2 (Texas and Germany) are not slated to open until late 2021
Sponsored