Sponsored

Blackvue camera(s) install. Will it drain the 12V batteries ?? Do I dare ???

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Wait, what? I got pet mode with the update. Even tested it out for fun.
That comment was made in early June, on version 2022.19.03.
Sponsored

HumanGenome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Would love to know if anyone has successfully tapped under mirror or otherwise for constant power.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

install a capcitor like power magic pro from blackvue and youll be fine. Running it in my Ice ALFA and car is fine for one month sitting with no start (camera records, uses same consumption like a LED).

crymearivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

5 + months in and running fine here.
Would you mind detailing how you hardwired and which fuse you used? Are you using a dashcam battery as well?

Appreciate it. I plan to install a dashcam in mine once it arrives but haven't been able to find information about someone hardwiring their dashcam.

Thanks

Sponsored

Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
Not the answer you're going to like, I had someone else do the install. He did do a write tap for constant power but unsure which. I did not have a dashcam battery.

I've had a blackvue done by the same installer in my model X for 3+ years done the same way without a problem.

BPN

First Name
brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
subaru outback
With the eventual availability of the rivian dash cam via OTA, may I ask what the benefits are if installing a blackvue over the integrated solution from rivian?

Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
4k camera view plus if you've ever dealt with the early days of Tesla you'd know that a ton of people have "got hit last night, dashcam didn't record anything"
So for me it's about having something that is purpose built on top of what the OTA will give.

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
With the eventual availability of the rivian dash cam via OTA, may I ask what the benefits are if installing a blackvue over the integrated solution from rivian?
No one’s seen Rivian’s implementation of a dashcam system yet. My questions are: 1.) What resolution does it record at? I doubt it’s 4K, which is what my BlackVue is. 2.) What will be its storage capacity? 3.) How will videos look in bright sun; cloudy conditions; nighttime? 4.) Will it record in sufficient detail to read license plate numbers?

I’ll be leaving my BlackVue system installed in my R1T even after I receive the dashcam functionality via OTA update as I’d rather have too many clear videos if something happens than none.

crymearivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Thank you Taco and U100 for the info - also, agreed on all your points. I assumed the installation was standard but grew concerned as I had read mixed messages from other threads on the 12v plug being ignition switched or not and whether or not Rivian's implementation of "special" fuses would complicate anything. This gives me relief.

Currently use Thinkware dash cam w/battery packs on all our vehicles. Plan to do the same once my Rivian arrives. To me, they are a reasonable cost for a layer of security and my peace of mind.

Based on what I read/see so far, I do not anticipate the operability and clarity to be beaten by Rivian's implementation of the dash cam functionality. I sincerely hope to stand corrected.

Thanks again

Sponsored

suprteck

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Mechanic
I installed my BlackVue dr900 wired with the 12v plug under the center screen. It turns on when I get in a drive. Turns off few minutes after I park it. No problems with battery draining.

MVCA

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Y; 2019 Toyota Tacoma; SOLD 2021 VW I.D
Occupation
Retired
I also had a Blackview with their Power Magic professionally installed back in November 2022 and it had been working great till Rivian disconnected it just last month.

I had been complaining to Rivian Since November that Alexa would not login. After taking the truck in more than three times for other issues and including the Alexa problem, I put my foot down and said enough BS excuses , "fix Alexa or don't give me the truck back till you do" . Two days later they called and told me that all issues including Alexa were fixed and that Alexa issue was being caused by the third party product installation causing a bluetooth/Wi-Fi conflict. The only other item installed in the truck is my Blackview Dashcam and I said to myself, sure blame it on something else. When I got home I reconnected the camera (they always unplug it when at the shop, guess they don't want you to know what they are doing) and I did not give it another thought. A few days ago, it noticed that the Camera did not have any power going to it, I was not hearing the "Drive Safely" message and after looking closer, none of the lights were on. Turns out that by viewing the SD Card that the last time it worked was when I took the vehicle in to Rivian, which means that they must of disconnected the power.

Now one of the reasons I don't believe that the camera had anything to do with Alexa problem is that when I took my truck in for repair, they would disconnect my cameras and could still not get Alexa to work, so how could this have been a bluetooth/ Wi-Fi conflict. I have an appointment to have my equipment checked out and probably re-connected with the original installers.

TexasCrane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep, Subaru, R1T
I installed my BlackVue dr900 wired with the 12v plug under the center screen. It turns on when I get in a drive. Turns off few minutes after I park it. No problems with battery draining.
Is it even possible to drain the 12v system? Shouldn’t it just recharge from the vehicle battery if it gets low?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Is it even possible to drain the 12v system? Shouldn’t it just recharge from the vehicle battery if it gets low?
Yes, there have been many owners reporting 12V battery failures.
Sponsored