Sponsored

BlackVue 900x Dash Cam

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Give us a USB port where we can plug in a USB3 SSD and just stream the cameras to the SSD.
Or just include sufficient SSD space. They'll need it to collect sensor data for Driver+ as well.

Storage is cheap these days & it can be done better than Tesla's bandaid approach.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Or just include sufficient SSD space. They'll need it to collect sensor data for Driver+ as well.

Storage is cheap these days & it can be done better than Tesla's bandaid approach.
I’d rather have it be removable. Easier to copy video or watch it outside the vehicle, and it prevents high-write video from wearing out critical fixed storage.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Hopefully Rivian is smarter than Tesla in this regard. :)
I still can’t believe Tesla didn’t know better.

But even with high quality SLC flash memory, there is still a limit to how many times you can write to it. I believe that vehicles should be engineered to last 20+ years, so it’s best to either make the memory replaceable, or take the simple route and use USB and let me plug in my own drive. Plugging in my own drive has other benefits, anyway, that make it the superior choice for DVR purposes, anyway.

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
I’d rather have it be removable. Easier to copy video or watch it outside the vehicle, and it prevents high-write video from wearing out critical fixed storage.
I agree. I have 1 TB SSDs in each of my Teslas. When I need the footage, it so easy to take it into the house and view / copy the files that I need and put the SSD back into the car. I have been surprised and pleased by the Teslacam setup using an SSD. In the newest models, Tesla has put the USB slot for the Teslacam inside the glovebox which can be locked with a PIN so it is much harder to steal.
Sponsored