Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

If it goes towards funding charging infrastructure, it's not a terrible thing. But it would be much faster to improve adoption if everyone had to pay those fees and not just EV drivers. ICE drivers might not need it now but they will be much more likely to switch when charging stations are ubiquitous.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
If it goes towards funding charging infrastructure, it's not a terrible thing. But it would be much faster to improve adoption if everyone had to pay those fees and not just EV drivers. ICE drivers might not need it now but they will be much more likely to switch when charging stations are ubiquitous.
I would argue that only ICE vehicles newer than say 4 years should pay the increased fee. Let people who still insist on buying gas-powered NEW vehicles bear the cost of improving infrastructure.

Don't punish people who are being the change the world needs.

Don't punish people who maintain older vehicles (either by choice or financial necessity) because we don't want to encourage people to unnecessarily scrap working vehicles and we don't want our most financially vulnerable to lose their freedom of movement.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I would argue that only ICE vehicles newer than say 4 years should pay the increased fee. Let people who still insist on buying gas-powered NEW vehicles bear the cost of improving infrastructure.

Don't punish people who are being the change the world needs.

Don't punish people who maintain older vehicles (either by choice or financial necessity) because we don't want to encourage people to unnecessarily scrap working vehicles and we don't want our most financially vulnerable to lose their freedom of movement.
Most people are coming to the conclusion that some degree EVs must pay their share of road fees, but the amount that should be and how it is collected is subject to debate.
Plug In America recently released a paper rating States and how they support EV adoption. One of the criteria is EV fees that are not punitive.

Article:
https://pluginamerica.org/policy/to...tent&eId=dad138b3-d730-4753-9455-71b6cc472740
Paper:
https://pluginamerica.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/25-States-Supporting-the-EV-Driver.pdf

Consumer Reports paper on punitive fees:
https://advocacy.consumerreports.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Consumer-Reports-EV-Fee-analysis.pdf

Rivian-WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
Clubs

Nice find. Would have been nice if they included ratings for all states.

Back in 2018, Wisconsin started charging $75 for hybrids and $100 for full electric above and beyond normal yearly registration fees ($106 for a 6000 to 8000 Gross weight Truck).

Sponsored

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
when was this article published? Pennsyltucky making or being close to the top ten is surprising and disappointing.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I looked at that article from consumer reports and it is misleading on the increases. I live in Arizona, which it indicates is a 275% increase. So in 2018 I was able to register my Bolt, which was 1 year old, for $54 for 5 years. My current registration expires in 2023. My other 2 vehicles are 2008 models and I pay nearly $100 per year for each of those.

So if my fee went up 275%, it would be about $30 per year for my registration. That is not punitive.

Get ready for the feds, the Biden admin wants to put a mileage tax on all vehicles. The more you drive the more you will pay. Many states are proposing this as well.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bethb...oportionately-impact-rural-americans-n2583595

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

A mileage tax sound more fair to me. Granted not all of the miles driven by Rivians, or any EV for that matter, will be on pubic roads.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
A mileage tax sound more fair to me. Granted not all of the miles driven by Rivians, or any EV for that matter, will be on pubic roads.
Or in the registered state.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Get ready for the feds, the Biden admin wants to put a mileage tax on all vehicles. The more you drive the more you will pay. Many states are proposing this as well.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bethb...oportionately-impact-rural-americans-n2583595
Although I don’t like the idea of paying more, mileage-based tax seems the be the most fair way to assess road taxes. It removes the link between tax and fuel type, and people who use the roads the most will proportionately bear the cost.

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
Nice find. Would have been nice if they included ratings for all states.

Back in 2018, Wisconsin started charging $75 for hybrids and $100 for full electric above and beyond normal yearly registration fees ($106 for a 6000 to 8000 Gross weight Truck).
Illinois charges $100. above ICE yearly registration fees. $251 EV. $151. ICE A couple years ago they tried to put EV's at $1,000 a/yr. it did not pass.

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
I mean it’s 31 cents a gallon that Utah misses out on. I would pay 330 a year in gas tax with a comparable truck.
Sponsored