First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
More room for all his fan boys to suckle. I'm sure whatever he announces next will go swimingly, maybe he will announce an independent bid for president, on twitter.
Wasn't it you that just a few comments ago was complaining about someone making an off topic comment about GM's charging network being marketing hype, and now you're on here bitching about something even less relevant in Elon Musk? When did Elon buy GM? If he didn't mentioning him isn't really relevant here and you should take your own advice and stay on topic.
Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Yet they are offering a bigger battery with faster charging than rivals :rolleyes:

Marketing is pretty easy since the most important thing in EV batteries is charging speed, I am pretty sure only Lucid offers faster charging than the Hummer EV.
Actually Hummer charges faster than Lucid, in terms of KW.

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Yet they are offering a bigger battery with faster charging than rivals :rolleyes:

Marketing is pretty easy since the most important thing in EV batteries is charging speed, I am pretty sure only Lucid offers faster charging than the Hummer EV.
GM has a 100 kwh battery with a 190 kw peak charging rate. It is smaller and slower than any of its rivals (except Gen 1 Ford). It is the same battery tech in the Blazer and Lyriq.

The way they get to marketing numbers that appear bigger is that they stack two of these smaller-slower battery packs into a single vehicle and then they split the fast charger into two and charge each one separately. You could do the same thing with any battery pack and get better statistics. It is just (as Munroe discusses) a clumsy and expensive approach.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

GM has a 100 kwh battery with a 190 kw peak charging rate. It is smaller and slower than any of its rivals (except Gen 1 Ford). It is the same battery tech in the Blazer and Lyriq.

The way they get to marketing numbers that appear bigger is that they stack two of these smaller-slower battery packs into a single vehicle and then they split the fast charger into two and charge each one separately. You could do the same thing with any battery pack and get better statistics. It is just (as Munroe discusses) a clumsy and expensive approach.
That information is not correct. The GM has a 212kWh battery and can charge at nearly 300kW. If Munroe said that in the video he is very much uninformed.

Do a little research friend.

https://tfltruck.com/2022/09/video-...ry-fast-charging-speed-but-is-it-fast-enough/

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
That information is not correct. The GM has a 212kWh battery and can charge at nearly 300kW. If Munroe said that in the video he is very much uninformed.

Do a little research friend.

https://tfltruck.com/2022/09/video-...ry-fast-charging-speed-but-is-it-fast-enough/
You know, if it neither necessary nor appropriate to be snarky especially when you are terribly confused. Again I will say, the Hummer and the silverado have TWO 400V packs, each of which charge at 190kw peak.

It is NOT an 800V pack like the Porsche or the Hyundai. It is the exact same 400V system that is in the Lyriq and the Blazer but there are two stacked in the same frame.

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/03/3...d-to-know-about-gms-ultium-platform-and-more/
https://chargedevs.com/newswire/gm-reveals-more-technical-details-of-its-ultium-battery-packs/

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

You know, if it neither necessary nor appropriate to be snarky especially when you are terribly confused. Again I will say, the Hummer and the silverado have TWO 400V packs, each of which charge at 190kw peak.

It is NOT an 800V pack like the Porsche or the Hyundai. It is the exact same 400V system that is in the Lyriq and the Blazer but there are two stacked in the same frame.

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/03/3...d-to-know-about-gms-ultium-platform-and-more/
https://chargedevs.com/newswire/gm-reveals-more-technical-details-of-its-ultium-battery-packs/
first off we werenā€™t talking about the Blazer, I could care less.

But what you point out is the engineering point that is actually smart. You stack two 400V packs so you can use 400v components (which are cheaper) but then bridge them to charge fast.

But yeah Iā€™m totally confusedā€¦

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

Which also has the benefit of charging as both a 400v system and 800v system as required.

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
first off we werenā€™t talking about the Blazer, I could care less.

But what you point out is the engineering point that is actually smart. You stack two 400V packs so you can use 400v components (which are cheaper) but then bridge them to charge fast.

But yeah Iā€™m totally confusedā€¦
Correct, you are confused but now you are less confused (you are welcome).

The battery pack is not at all innovative. The innovation - such as it is - power splitter that takes a higher power source and distributes it at a lower power just like, say, the USB daisy chain you probably use for your phone. You could do the same with any two 400 V battery packs.

And back to your earlier assertion to @docwhiz "I'll repeat because you seem confused.
You claimed that GM Ultium batteries are old tech that is obsolete then I pointed out the fact that they offer a larger pack that charges faster than any of their competitors ..."

You may feel free to correct yourself. Try this: "you are correct, they offer a vehicle with two old technology 400V battery backs with pouch cells each of which charges slower than the competitors' packs and much slower than the leading competitors' packs."

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Correct, you are confused but now you are less confused (you are welcome).

The battery pack is not at all innovative. The innovation - such as it is - power splitter that takes a higher power source and distributes it at a lower power just like, say, the USB daisy chain you probably use for your phone. You could do the same with any two 400 V battery packs.

And back to your earlier assertion to @docwhiz "I'll repeat because you seem confused.
You claimed that GM Ultium batteries are old tech that is obsolete then I pointed out the fact that they offer a larger pack that charges faster than any of their competitors ..."

You may feel free to correct yourself. Try this: "you are correct, they offer a vehicle with two old technology 400V battery backs with pouch cells each of which charges slower than the competitors' packs and much slower than the leading competitors' packs."
lol.. keep talking. Not at all confused but if you feel better by ā€˜informingā€™ me then great.

Bottom line the hummer ev/Silverado EV/sierra EV has more capacity and faster charging then the lightning or the R1T. Yes anyone can do pack splitting but no one else is. This is all I said to begin with but if you prefer slow charging and less range by all means go with the ā€˜betterā€™ tech.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It becomes an 800V pack with the 400V stuff just hanging off half the pack. There's not much of a difference between "native" and what GM is doing since it's still effectively putting all the modules in series like a native pack would be for charging. GM is sending the full 500A available to the pack at lower SoCs.
Sponsored