Sponsored

Better Ways to Charge EV's?

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
I'm curious why EV's have evolved to require a hand-held attachment for charging. This made sense for gasoline, but it doesn't make sense for EV's IMHO.

It seems to me an under-vehicle automatic charging device would be much more convenient. You would plug it in and then lay it on the ground. You would simply drive your vehicle over the charging pad, stop the vehicle and then walk away. Perhaps it would take over steering for the last 5 feet so that the vehicle is perfectly aligned over the charing pad.

Then something from the vehicle would drop down to physically connect with the charging pad, or something from the charging pad would rise up and fit into a port on the belly of the vehicle. Electrons would be exchanged.

This would have so many advantages.

Primary among them, you wouldn't have to manually attach the charging cable and unattach it literally every time you drive. To me (sans EV) that sounds like having to filly my car with gas every time I park it in the drive way. What a hassle.

Presumably there's a whole host of reasons why this is a terrible idea, because it's so obvious it must have been considered and discarded. But what else might be a better way to charge EV's? Close-range inductive? Other?

I don't believe we'll be charging our EV's by hand for the next century. Someone will make this a lot more convenient at some point. Maybe Apple. When that time comes, I hope I can retrofit my Rivian.
Sponsored

Joints4Sale

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, e-tron GT,Ram CTD,R1250GSA, Tuareg 660
Occupation
Orthopaedic Implant Sales

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Different ways of charging have been (and continue to be) explored.

Some notable examples are Teslas "robotic" charging arm:

And McLaren has wireless charging:

https://carbuzz.com/news/the-mclaren-speedtail-can-now-be-charged-wirelessly

But "better" is a complex and subjective assessment. The conventional "plug" has several advantages:
  1. Inexpensive
  2. Reliable
  3. Simple
Maybe something truly "better" will come along... But for most situations and people, the "plug" is probably still currently "best".

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

I'm curious why EV's have evolved to require a hand-held attachment for charging. This made sense for gasoline, but it doesn't make sense for EV's IMHO.

It seems to me an under-vehicle automatic charging device would be much more convenient. You would plug it in and then lay it on the ground. You would simply drive your vehicle over the charging pad, stop the vehicle and then walk away. Perhaps it would take over steering for the last 5 feet so that the vehicle is perfectly aligned over the charing pad.

Then something from the vehicle would drop down to physically connect with the charging pad, or something from the charging pad would rise up and fit into a port on the belly of the vehicle. Electrons would be exchanged.

Primary among them, you wouldn't have to manually attach the charging cable and unattach it literally every time you drive. To me (sans EV) that sounds like having to filly my car with gas every time I park it in the drive way. What a hassle.

Presumably there's a whole host of reasons why this is a terrible idea, because it's so obvious it must have been considered and discarded. But what else might be a better way to charge EV's? Close-range inductive? Other?

I don't believe we'll be charging our EV's by hand for the next century. Someone will make this a lot more convenient at some point. Maybe Apple. When that time comes, I hope I can retrofit my Rivian.
Did you have too much time on your hands today??? :)

We use plug in charger because its simple and intuitive. Also it is low cost compared to other "wireless" and automated ways, I believe. Part of mass adoption is to bridge familiarity of existing with new (that's why automakers add fake grills or grill-like profile to EVs).

As for the next century, will we have EVs as we know it? Probably not. There's been lots of studies on guided roads and freeways and now with wireless charing while driving (autonomously)...

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

As j4s pointed out, you need to do inductive charging for that. Think about all the issues if the door freezes, mud has caked it shut, etc.

Same with a port at the very front, minor fender bender and you lose the ability to charge.

Inductive charging is nice, if you can minimize the loss. You lose a lot of energy, and when you're trying to be "green", wasting energy isn't the best plan.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

There is a company offering this…
https://www.pluglesspower.com/

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles