Sponsored

Better Range After 2022.47.0 Update??

Jay565

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
hyundai
Can you say more about that? In my mind there's a difference between a few things: the user-set max SOC (70, 85 ,etc%), the stated max capacity (135kwh), an effective max charge (125-129kwh by many measures?) and an actual on-product battery deliverable rating (141 kWh, apparently).

It'd be interesting to know where legislation intersects these, if at all.
I was reading more about it, I think manufacturers hold off certain amount of battery cells to help slow degradation issues and meet their battery life claims. So Rivian has a 8 year 150k 70% battery life warranty. So bu reserving cells it improves battery life. Maybe as they learn about their own battery they will find they don’t need to reserve so many cells and they can unlock more for us to use. CA has strict EV battery regs but it looks like thats only for plug in hybrids. Just an example if u look at the bmw plug in hybrid x5, in Europe it has much more range than in the US, due to warranty requirements, same battery size. CA will be passing new regs for batteries of zero emission EV’s but that hasn’t happened yet.
Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Hello,

before the latest software update, my R1T was getting about 256 miles on an 85% charge using Conserve.

after the update it is getting about 286!
Anyone else experiencing this? Not sure how a software update could improve charge range but maybe it can…?
did yours change with this month's update? Mine WENT DOWN now showing 265 @ 85% in AP versus 285 with the prior software version.

Last edited:

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I was reading more about it, I think manufacturers hold off certain amount of battery cells to help slow degradation issues and meet their battery life claims. So Rivian has a 8 year 150k 70% battery life warranty. So bu reserving cells it improves battery life. Maybe as they learn about their own battery they will find they don’t need to reserve so many cells and they can unlock more for us to use. CA has strict EV battery regs but it looks like thats only for plug in hybrids. Just an example if u look at the bmw plug in hybrid x5, in Europe it has much more range than in the US, due to warranty requirements, same battery size. CA will be passing new regs for batteries of zero emission EV’s but that hasn’t happened yet.
This unlocking of a portion of the buffer is exactly what RJ told me they'd definitely consider doing. On Day 1 of that first customer event in Normal, back in July of '21, I asked him about it while we were still sitting in the R1T after the drive I recorded and posted here. RJ said that, if the charging, usage, and corresponding degradation patterns warrant opening up more of the capacity, you may wake up one day to find extra range. He said it may not even be announced, it would just show up in your system. He also reiterated that this privilege could be rescinded if merited by changes in those patterns. After all, they do have huge liability for the warranty you mentioned above. FYI, the warranty is actually better than you referenced, in that it covers 175,000 miles or eight years, whichever comes first.

I'm pretty sure I discussed the details of this conversation in the interview with Skyler, Kyle, and Jimmy, of Rivian Stories a few days after returning.

RJ said they were very confident in the batteries still providing at least 70% of their initial range when that timeframe or mileage limit is met. Clearly, Rivian likes what they're seeing early on. It's great to see it come to fruition on a global scale. That should serve to tell all of us just how confident they are in these things. I will say that I do leave my charging limited to 70% (unless more is truly needed), both because it's good for the life of the battery, and also just in case someone's watching...and taking notes.🤓

I'm sure as Hell happy to see this happen, especially so early in the life of the company. It's a GREAT sign!
Sponsored